Andrew Jackson Courts, c. 2014
The Andrew Jackson Courts public housing complex was undertaken in Nashville, Tennessee following the passage of the Housing Act of 1937 and establishment of the United States Housing Authority (USHA). The USHA worked in conjunction with the Public Works Administration (PWA) in providing funds for local housing development projects, two of which were the segregated communities of Cheatham Place and Andrew Jackson Courts.
The rowhouse appearance, clustered two-story houses were constructed for African American residents. The 398 unit buildings cost $1,890,000. They remain in use today.
|Federal Cost||Local Cost||Total Cost||Project #'s|
Leighninger, R. D. (2007). Long-Range Public Investment: The Forgotten Legacy of the New Deal. University of South Carolina Press. Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee's New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan C. Allen on December 10, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE