Carter-Riverside High School, Fort Worth, TX
This was one of five monumental senior high schools built in Fort Worth with the aid of New Deal programs. It was designed by Fort Worth architect Wyatt C. Hedrick in an eclectic Spanish Baroque style and features yellow brick and a clay tile roof. Funding for the building came through the Public Works Administration (PWA). The grounds of the school were landscaped by Hare & Hare of Kansas City, Missouri, with the work implemented by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The heavily-treed campus includes a band shelter with stage that was built by the WPA. The school has been enlarged over the years.
The school was designated as a City of Fort Worth Historic and Cultural Landmark in 2003. Also on the grounds is an Official Texas Historical Marker honoring Amon G. Carter (1879-1955) for whom the school was named in 1941. Carter was editor of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, a businessman, philanthropist, and Fort Worth’s biggest booster.
"Eight Decades of School Construction: Historic Resources of the Fort Worth Independent School District, 1892-1961," City of Fort Worth. pp. 17-18.
Project originally submitted by Steven and Susan Kline on January 6, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE