Amite County Chancery District Court
Mississippi’s oldest courthouse was enlarged, modernized and renovated with a Works Progress Administration project of more than $30,000. The red brick two-story Federal style building was originally constructed 1839-1840. The project added two-story wings on the east and west ends of the building, and two-story porches across the back and front elevations, adding six new offices to the existing building. Indoor lavatories and rest rooms were installed for the first time, and a steel fire-proof records vault installed. The remodeling and repair was authorized as a Civil Works Administration project in February, 1934, however, was discontinued prior to completion. An additional $3,000 was allotted by WPA in fall 1936 to complete the renovations begun earlier.
Amite Courthouse Being Remodeled by Popular Move. (Jan. 31, 1935). Semi-Weekly Journal, p. 2.
Amite Repairs Courthouse. (May 2, 1936). The Woodville Republican, 42, p. 1.
To Dedicate Courthouse at Liberty. (July 3, 1936). Enterprise Journal, p. 1.
Amite Courthouse to be Renovated with WPA Grant. (Nov. 25, 1936). McComb Daily Journal, p. 4.
Bailey, R. J., & Miller, R. W. (1973). Nomination form for National Register of Historic Places. United States Department of the Interior. National Park Service.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on March 14, 2020.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE