Beely-Johnson Post 139 American Legion HutWW1 veterans in front of the newly built Legion hall
Located in downtown Springdale, the Beely-Johnson Post 139 American Legion Hut was built in 1934 by American Legion members and local citizens. A kitchen was added to the building’s interior in 1937 by the Legion Auxiliary. The one-story building is constructed of rough-cut native stone quarried from a mountain east of Springdale. There have been no major changes to the building over the years.
At first, Legion members met in the upstairs rooms of various downtown businesses. By 1929, plans were under way for the construction of a post hut, but due to a drop in membership during the early years of the Depression, construction did not begin until 1934. Land was leased from the city for a building site. The project received financial assistance from the Civil Works Administration, which provided wages of $1 per day for laborers. The post held turkey shoots to raise funds. Townspeople donated money, materials, and labor. A granite marker engraved with the American Legion emblem (inlaid in the rockwork above the building’s entrance) was donated by a local monument dealer. Springdale resident Harold E. Henson, a veteran of both world wars, recalled the construction project as a “gallant effort by legionnaires and townspeople.” The post was dedicated on August 26, 1934. A hand-painted sign above the doorway reads, “Through these portals pass the world’s greatest protectors—the American veteran.”
The Beely-Johnson Post 139 American Legion Hut was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 30, 2007
The space is very popular for weddings, voting, and numerous social organizations.
Project originally submitted by Andrew Laverdiere on July 13, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE