Amador County courthouse (former) - Jackson CA
The Amador County courthouse and Hall of Records in Jackson CA was rebuilt in 1939-40 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The previous courthouse and Hall of Records on the site, built side by side in 1863, were completely remodeled and joined into a single building.
The architect was George Sellon, who turned brick Romanesque structures into a fine example of Art Moderne design. There is a plaque in the foyer that credits everyone but the WPA for the 1940 remodel.
This courthouse was replaced by a new superior court building across town in 2007 and has been sitting empty ever since.
Project originally submitted by Richard A Walker on August 11, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE