Alum Rock Park Bridge
Alum Rock Park is California's oldest municipal park and occupies 720 acres within Alum Rock Canyon just east of downtown San Jose. Though in the late 1800s it held many commercial attractions, including an aviary, a restaurant, a carousel and a zoo, today the park has been returned to a more natural state and most of these man-made structures are gone.
Much of the evidence of mankind that remains dates to the extensive work in Alum Rock Park undertaken by the WPA and the CCC in the 1930s. These agencies improved park trails, removed railroad tracks and built stone bridges, picnic areas, barbecue pits and a lodge. A dam was built in the east of the park in 1936.
William R. Lawson. "Achievements, Federal Works Agency. Work Projects Administration, Northern California." 1940: 60. http://baynature.org/articles/jul-sep-2010/going-wild-again-at-alum-rock http://www.nnvesj.org/Archives/ARPHistory.htm#ARP For excellent photos of the WPA bridge on the Mineral Springs Trail see http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WM6JBN_Alum_Rock_Park_Stone_Arch_Bridge_San_Jose_CA
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE