Alsea Bay Bridge
“With President Franklin Roosevelt’s New Deal Programs – such as the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Public Works Administration (PWA) – helping to provide some of the jobs and lend some of the money construction, the last watery gaps along the Oregon Coast Highway could be closed.”
“Closing the last gaps in the Oregon Coast Highway was the job of Conde B. McCullough, bridge engineer for the Highway Commission since 1919. Over the next two years he had the responsibility of designing, supervising, and finishing the construction of the five major bridges that were to span, from north to south, Yaquina Bay at Newport, Alsea Bay at Waldport, the Siuslaw River at Florence, the Umpqua River at Reedsport, and Coos Bay at Coos Bay.”
“By the spring of 1936, all five bridges with their soaring spires and elegant arches, their long viaducts and wide roadways and sidewalks were finished. The result was a marvel of engineering.”
The bridge has since been demolished and replaced.
Joe R. Blakely. Lifting Oregon Out of the Mud: Building the Oregon Coast Highway. Wallowa, Oregon: Bear Creek Press, 2006. Pgs. 52-53.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE