“From the beginning, WPA involvement would play a significant role in the creation of Alpine Park (Park). While there is no record of the WPA or any outside agency providing money for the purchase of the park or building materials, the WPA provided all the labor for the outbuildings and the original roads (Park, Morning Star) . The workers also cleared tress and prepared the land. The WPA workers built the small building that faces Alpine Road and the fireplaces and stone bridge that stand along the Alpine Road entrance (Barrie, Park, Morning Star). The original use for the building at the entrance is not clear, but it has become a maintenance/storage area for Park District equipment and supplies (Barrie). The fireplaces are still intact as are the remnants of the original bridge. The roads have been repaved and additions have been made, but when driving through the park along the bottom of the gorge, it is unlikely that the scene would be any different in 2000 than it was in 1939 or 1940.”
"Alpine Park: From the Lowest to the Highest," by Charles Story (2000). Rock Valley College student local history research, Fall 2000. https://archive.org/details/rockvalleycolleg21na
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on August 3, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE