The original Alms House of Prince George’s County on this site dated back to the late 18th century. The Alms House provided a place of shelter for indigents, paupers, disabled and other citizens without financial support. Many of these people were also buried in the Alms House cemetery. In 1935, the WPA built a house for the superintendent of the Alms House.
The Alms House, and the surrounding structures no longer exist. One grave marker remains at the site of the former charitable facilities.
National Archives, Record Group 69, “Microfilmed Index to WPA Projects.” http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2418074
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee - wpatoday.org on June 22, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE