Alley Pond Park
An August 1935 Parks Department press release lists Alley Pond Park as one of seventy-three play areas developed in the preceding year with “city, state and federal relief funds.” The release describes this park as having play areas designed for mothers and infants, older children, adolescents and adults.
Today’s NYC Parks website confirms this timing: “The park, including 26 acres of newly constructed playing fields and the Alley Pond Park Nature Trail, the first such trail in the city’s park system, officially opened in 1935 at a ceremony attended by Mayor Fiorello H. LaGuardia (1882–1947) and Parks Commissioner Robert Moses (1888–1981). The new park offered users a 23-acre bird sanctuary, bridle paths, tennis courts, picnic areas, and a 200-space parking lot.”
Although neither source identifies which federal agencies were involved, researcher Frank da Cruz explains here that New Deal park projects developed before August 1935 would have been financed by one or more agencies including the CWA, FERA, the RFC, TERA or the WPA. Later developments at the park did involve the WPA.
The New York Times: "ELEVEN CITY PARKS TO SHARE WPA FUND," December 25, 1938 (page 16).
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on February 7, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE