Allenton Heights - Jackson TN -Interior front yard space
This 100-unit public housing complex was constructed for whites during the era of segregation.
Allenton Heights was located on larger, landscaped lots on 13 acres with open space. Units contained a back yard with clotheslines (which are still in use today) and a front yard with grassy lawns and shade trees.
After the PWA public housing programs were expanded and the U. S. Housing Authority was created, public housing expanded in Tennessee.
Allenton Heights was started in December 1940. Algernon Blair was construction company, and construction superintendent estimated employment of 150 on both Allenton Heights and Merry Lane Court. Allenton Heights was projected to cost $350,000.
The site remains part of Jackson Housing Authority and in use.
City Housing. (Dec. 11, 1940). The Jackson Sun, p. 1, 5.
Secretary named. (March 20, 1940). The Kingsport Times, p. 6.
Van West, C. (2001). Tennessee’s New Deal Landscape: A Guidebook. Knoxville: University of Tennessee Press.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on December 20, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE