Alice Savage Elementary in Red OakPhoto: hamquilter Creative Commons BY-NC-ND
The Works Progress Administration built the Alice Savage Elementary in Red Oak.
Contributor note: “The Alice Savage Elementary School, located on North Main is a one-story coursed native sandstone building, with a flat roof on the classroom section and a barrel roof over the gymnasium which is connected perpendicularly to the rear of the school. The school contains 10 or more classrooms, and was built in 1939-1940.
The front of the school has two double-door entrances recessed beneath arched openings. Between the two entrances are two projected stone pilasters with decorative projections. The windows are set in triples. The top one-third of the units are covered with metal siding, leaving the bottom 2/3 with double hung frames. The school is 222 ft. by 67 ft., with a 69 ft. by 75 ft. gymnasium extension to the rear. The school grounds are surrounded by a stone retaining wall, with a four-step concrete staircase over the wall at the center front.”
Waymarking: (http://www.waymarking.com/waymarks/WMZ8AQ_Alice_Savage_Elementary_Red_Oak_OK), accessed November 11, 2018.
Oklahoma History, p. 18: (https://www.okhistory.org/shpo/wpa/wpa4latimernr.pdf), accessed November 11, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE