Alice Carlson School Entrance
“Alice E. Carlson Elementary was named in honor of the first woman who served on the school board. It originally opened as a 4-room school in 1926. The 1-story polychrome brown brick building was designed by Wiley G. Clarkson and constructed by A. J. Howard in a Mission Revival-influenced style. The rapid growth of the surrounding TCU neighborhood called for the enlargement of the school in 1935 under the PWA program. This addition, designed by Joseph R. Pelich and erected by Harry B. Friedman, tripled the size of the school and included an auditorium wing. The front entrance was
altered slightly to give the building more of an eclectic Mediterranean/ Spanish Colonial Revival style. Eight classrooms, erected by M. W. Bogart Construction Company, were added in 1953. The school was closed in 1983. However, designation as a State Archeological Landmark (SAL) that same year saved it from demolition and the building was then used as district offices. In 1992, the building was returned to its original function as a school when it reopened as an Applied Learning Center. In the near future, the school is scheduled to receive an activity building designed by Gideon Toal that will adjoin the rear of the auditorium wing and a new clay tile roof for the entire building. Not only is the building Fort Worth’s only functioning school building designated as a SAL, it is also the only school building designated as a Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (RTHL, 2000). It is also designated as Demolition Delay under the City’s historic preservation ordinance and is eligible for the National Register of Historic Places for its architectural significance and its importance in the field of education in Fort Worth.”
Fort Worth Historic Schools Survey Report
Project originally submitted by Susan Kline on March 3, 2013.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE