Alexander Hamilton Playground
In January 1940, the Parks Department announced the completion of a complete renovation of what is now the Alexander Hamilton Playground:
“At the Hamilton Place area, the old playground has been entirely reconstructed to provide for wider and more intensive usage. Besides a new modern comfort station, there is now a wading pool, volley ball and handball courts, a jungle gym, swings, slides and see-saws, The entire area has been resurfaced with bituminous material to provide for continuous usage throughout the year.
The opening of these two areas, designed by the Park Department and built by the Work Projects Administration, makes a total of 308 new and reconstructed playgrounds completed by the Park Department since 1934.”
The playground was further renovated in 1995.
Department of Parks, Press Release, January 15, 1940 New York City Parks Department New Deal Projects 1934-43 NYC Parks - Alexander Hamilton Playground
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on November 25, 2016.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE