Alcorn State University, Literary Society Building, Alcorn State University Campus, Alcorn, Claiborne County, MSHistoric American Buildings Survey, creator
The Oakland Chapel Greek Revival style building constructed 1840-1851 was completely renovated through support from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) and state legislated funds that made repairs and improvements to 20 state institutions 1934-1935. Then known as Alcorn A & M College, the chapel was only one of the projects on the campus. Additional work included repair to the men’s dormitory, extension of sewer lines, laying of sidewalks, and installment of concrete floors in the blacksmith and machine shops. A total of $8,728.66 of the over $400,000 spent in the other institutions was expended on Alcorn campus. The Mississippi legislature approved $200,000 to supplement the funds supplied by FERA, which supplied about half of the relief labor for the work.
Improvements by ERA and State Program Completed. (March 14, 1935). Clarion-Ledger, p. 3, 5.
$220,000 is expended on state repair work for first two months. (Sept. 28, 1934). Clarion-Ledger, p. 18.
Mississippi Department of Archives & History. Historic Resources Inventory Map.
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on September 2, 2019.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE