“The airport … outside Connellsville was one of the first in Western Pennsylvania, opening in 1938. It was the product of a cooperative effort between the city of Connellsville, Fayette County and the federal Works Progress Administration program.”
“Work on the Connellsville Airport began in January 1936, when project plans were submitted to the WPA; the state-of-the-art facility was dedicated Sept. 30, 1938.
The airport initially cost $495,000, with an additional $350,000 allocated for infrastructure and to establish an army base once the airfield had been completed.”
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on September 14, 2015.
Additional contributions by Andrew Gallentine.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE