The National Youth Administration constructed a 1-story “very modernistic” brick classroom building for the Holmes County Agricultural High School in 1940 (Goodman High to have work). Architect James Manly Spain designed the building containing auditorium, classrooms, cafeteria, and basement. Approximately 75 laborers worked on the project from August 1939 to completion in January 1941. The project was slowed by winter weather.
Goodman High to have work. Clarion-Ledger, Aug. 17, 1940, p. 17.
Branch, L. B. (1976). The Holmes Junior College Story of Fifty Years of Growth, 1925-1975. Holmes Community College. Retrieved from https://archive.org/stream/HolmesJuniorCollegeHistory1925-1975/Holmes%20Junior%20College%20History_djvu.txt
Mississippi Department of Archives and History. Historic Resources Inventory Database. Retrieved from http://www.apps.mdah.ms.gov/Public/prop.aspx?view=architectural
Project originally submitted by Susan Allen on October 18, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE