Admiralty Cove CabinSource: US Forest Service - USDA
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) workers built a shelter at Admiralty Cove as part of the Admiralty Island Canoe Route, created from 1933 to 1937. This route included shelters, portages, dams, cabins, boathouses, and skiffs and was part of a program to enhance recreational opportunities in Alaska.
The CCC structure serves as a boat shelter today and is located on the site of the Admiralty Cove Cabin.
Admiralty Cove Cabin, https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/tongass/recreation/camping-cabins/recarea/?recid=78624&actid=101
National Register of Historic Places Multiple Property Documentation Form for Admiralty Island Civilian Conservation Corps Canoe Route, 1933 - 1937, https://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/oha/publications/ccccanoeroute.pdf
Project originally submitted by Brent McKee on May 26, 2017.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
Even though it was always marked as “cabin” at the trailhead on Thayer Lake to Distin trail, it was in fact a “boat shelter”.
Using common log cabin design, it was about 6’X11′ long and 5′ high.
The roof was made of several logs laid side by side,
Each one was notched to shed rain such as in clay-tile roof design. This boat shelter housed 1 square bow Jon boat.