Abilene State Park, CCC Concession Building (south elevation)
“The Civilian Conservation Corps, Roosevelt’s first New Deal recovery program, built the original parts of Abilene State Park, including picnic areas and swimming pool complex. In 1934, the 507 acres were dedicated as a state park.
According to the Taylor County Historical Commission, another CCC company, all black veterans, returned a year later to finish the effort, repairing roads and building a stone water tower.” (Abilene Reporter-News)
Project originally submitted by Evan Kalish on January 7, 2014.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE