227th St. Playground
The 227th Street Playground in Bronx Park, June 2015, built by the New Deal Works Progress Administration (WPA) and opened on June 25, 1941. From the NYC Parks Department press release:
The new development covers an area of about two acres in the sloping lawn between the Parkway and the Bronx River. The playground itself is semi-circular in shape, contains various items of play apparatus including swings, slides, see-saws, jungle gym, a sand pit and a shower basin, and is paved with bituminous material. It is fenced with chain link fabric for purposes of control and a number of trees have been planted inside the area to provide shade. Numerous benches have been provided adjacent to the boundary fence for parents and guardians watching the play activities. The nearest street entrance is at East 226th Street where traffic lights enable pedestrians to cross Bronx Boulevard in safety. With the construction in the near future of the Bronx River Parkway to the west of this playground much of this traffic will be taken off Bronx Boulevard. A small brick structure in the park slope near the entrance to the playground will be used for storage of tools by the Park Maintenance forces. All work was performed by the Work Projects Administration from plans prepared by the Department of Parks.
Project originally submitted by Frank da Cruz on June 10, 2015.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE