View from the railroad tracks belowPhoto: Eveline Evans, 06/21/2018 © All Rights Reserved
This was a combination City/State/Federal (Civil Works Administration) project. Clearing the right-of-way for the viaduct began in Nov. 1933. In Feb. 1934, the federal government allotted $186,000. The cost of the project was $243,000. The width of paving was reduced to 20 ft from 40 ft to cut cost.
The viaduct is over the Missouri-Kansas-Texas railroad, St. Louis-Southwestern railroad, and Waco creek on Hwy 2 and 44.
The 18th Street approach to the bridge had a storm sewer built using CWA labor.
The city bought the right-of-way, the cost of viaduct was paid by state and federal funds.
Pouring of the concrete deck was complete in Dec. 1934. The viaduct, the first such structure in the city limits of Waco, is a state-federal project, to connect the city with the highway hub south of Waco, to which the concrete paving will extend.
Waco Tribune-Herald Newspaper clippings, accessed June 22, 2018: https://www.newspapers.com/clip/21169781/waco_tribuneherald/
Project originally submitted by Eveline Evans on June 21, 2018.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE