138th Infantry Regiment Armory (Former) - St. Louis MO
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the construction of the 138th Infantry Regiment Armory in St. Louis MO. Completed in 1937, the armory building has been converted to office space.
Excerpt from Missouri Armories: The Guard’s Home in Architecture and History: “On May 15, 1934, the City of St. Louis approved a bond issue to fund improvements; $15 million of the bond issue, plus a 30 percent grant from the PWA, made construction of the $1,347,000 armory possible… This armory is a large two-story building with a monitor-type roof over a large parade hall.” The Missouri National Guard declared the building surplus in 1971 and it was sold to private owners in 1987.
Wiegers, Robert P., "Missouri Armories: The Guard's Home in Architecture and History," pp. 82-83.
Project originally submitted by Barbara Pendleton on September 21, 2022.
We welcome contributions of additional information on any New Deal project site.SUBMIT MORE INFORMATION OR PHOTOGRAPHS FOR THIS SITE
The Armory was completed in 1938