Shenipsit State Forest – Stafford CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) conducted substantial work at Shenipsit State Forest in northern Connecticut. Work was undertaken by Camp Conner, housing Company #1192, which operated from Sept. 5, 1935 to May 23, 1941. Projects, which include those given separate… read more

Silver Falls State Park – Silverton OR

South Falls in Silver Falls State Park with hiking trail behind the falls, Silverton OR

Although the State’s initial acquisition of land for the park occurred in 1931, the early development of Silver Falls State Park can be credited to several of the New Deal programs. A significant portion of the land for the park… read more

Squantz Pond State Park – New Fairfield CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Hook was stationed at Squantz Pond State Park from May 24, 1933 to Oct. 30, 1935. Projects undertaken at the park included: foot trails along Squantz Pond construction of the Squantz Pond entrance road recreation… read more

Takoma Recreation Center Development – Washington DC

Takoma Recreation Center is a large public recreational facility in Washington D.C., containing buildings, swimming pool, tennis courts and other facilities. New Deal agencies did extensive work on the site, 1933-36, as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program… read more

Temescal Regional Recreation Area: Improvements – Oakland CA

North entrance sign, Temescal Regional Park - Oakland CA

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved Lake Temescal Park, now known as Temescal Regional Recreation Area, one of the original units of the East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD). When the EBRPD was created in 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps… read more

Treasure Island Seawall, Landscaping, and Fill – San Francisco CA

Funds for a seawall and fill for the exposition site were provided through a $3,043,000 WPA grant. Another WPA grant of $1,296,000 provided for roadways, a causeway, trestles, landscaping, and drainage of water systems. A PWA grant of $1,711,000, matched… read more

Tunxis State Forest – Hartland CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Camp Robinson, which housed Company #180, was stationed at Tunxis State Forest in Hartland, Connecticut. The camp was established June 13, 1933 and was discontinued July 18, 1941. Among other projects independently listed on other pages,… read more

Turtle Pond Parkway Improvements – Boston MA

W.P.A. project descriptions: “Veterans of Foreign Wars, West Roxbury, and Turtle Pond Parkways; the roadsides of these parkways were beautified for their entire lengths by grubbing, grading and seeding. Ten miles, or 176,000 square yards of property was reclaimed.” “Dedham… read more

University of Houston: Landscaping and Improvements – Houston TX

The University of Houston’s old Industrial Building, now known as the Technology Annex, was constructed with the assistance of the Work Projects Administration, a New Deal agency. Houston, a history and guide: “Most of the heavily wooded campus was made… read more

University of Minnesota Cloquet Forestry Center – Cloquet MN

The UMN Cloquet Forestry Center (CFC) is the primary research and demonstration forest for the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, currently a research and outreach center (ROC) for the College of Food, Agricultural, and Natural Resource Sciences. The Cloquet Forestry Center… read more

VA Hospital (former) Landscaping – Salt Lake City UT

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted landscaping work at the now-former VA Hospital, located northeast of the Utah State Capitol in Salt Lake City. The property, now a luxury condo complex, is now privately owned. Its location has been described… read more

Washington Monument Grounds Reconstruction – Washington DC

Washington Monument and Grounds - Washington DC

The Washington Monument grounds – the core area of the National Mall – was substantially altered and improved, including a major reconfiguration of the streets. The work was paid for by the Public Works Administration (PWA) from a fund of… read more

Watauga County Office Annex – Boone NC

Watauga County Office Building / Annex

The Watauga County Courthouse complex in Boone, North Carolina “includes a Works Projects Administration funded building as part of its annex.” The striking stone building “was completed in 1939 and housed the Watauga County Library from 1946 through 1997.” The… read more