Hart Memorial Park – Bakersfield CA

New Deal relief workers were instrumental in developing the old Kern River Park – now called the Hart Memorial Park.  The workers came from the State Emergency Relief Administration  (SERA) before 1935 and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) after that…. read more

Honeyman State Park: Cleawox Picnic Area – Florence OR

Picnic shelter #1, Honeyman State Park - Florence OR

From 1936 to 1941, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Honeyman State Park, just south of Florence, Oregon, under the supervision of the National Park Service (NPS).  The parkland had been purchased by the state from 1930 to 1936. Honeyman… read more

Interstate State Park Improvements – Taylors Falls MN

Interstate State Park Refractory Shelter, Taylors Falls MN

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) built facilities and completed structural improvements at Interstate State Park in Taylors Falls, Minnesota. “The ten CCC/WPA/Rustic Style historic resources at Interstate State Park are included in two historic… read more

Island Park Development – Green River WY

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to improve the conditions at Island Park in Green River, Wyoming. Cassity: “In Green River, Island Park was leveled with traditional cut and fill methods to raise the low spots so that flood water… read more

Kennedy Park Improvements – South Bend IN

The National Youth Administration (NYA) pursued improvements at South Bend’s Kennedy Park in 1939. The park was known as Bendix Park during the New Deal. “Plans for beautifying Bendix Park are being completed by the board of park commissioners of… read more

Lake Herington Development – Herington KS

Multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA) were involved in the improvement and development of the park surrounding Lake Herington in Herington, Kansas. 1934: “Herington has been allotted $6,106 from the CWA state… read more

Lambert’s Castle Improvements – Paterson NJ

A Paterson landmark dating back to 1892, Lambert’s Castle was originally home to the Lamberts, a wealthy family that owned area silk mills. The building fell into disrepair in the early twentieth century, was purchased by the city of Paterson… read more

Lane Park Development – Birmingham AL

Lane Park Roadway and Culvert

Birmingham’s Lane Park was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Historical marker: “The land was also used for the Allen… read more

Macedonia Brook State Park – Kent CT

CCC Camp SP-1, 1191 was established in Macedonia Brook State Park in 1935. The CCC “did much site development here in the 1930s, including construction of a pavilion and a carriage road with massive retaining walls constructed without mortar.” (www.townofkentct.org)… read more

McLoughlin Boulevard Roadside Planting – North Unit – Portland OR

McLoughlinBlvdDeciduous

Red oaks line a section of McLoughlin Boulevard on its southern entry into the City of Portland. The nearly ninety-year-old trees are the legacy of a highway beautification project funded by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1934. The Oregon… read more

McLoughlin Boulevard Roadside Planting – South Unit – Milwaukie OR

Sequoias Milport Road

As motorists travel southbound on the Milwaukie section of McLoughlin Boulevard they pass through a corridor of Giant Redwood trees. The Public Works Administration funded the planting of these Sequoia Giantea in 1934. The Oregon State Highway Commission selected six… read more