Cape Perpetua Scenic Area – Yachats OR

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp in 1933 at the foot of Cape Perpetua and occupied the site until WWII. The men completed several projects in the area currently known as the Cape Perpetua Scenic Area, including the… read more

CCC Camp – Valentine NE

The Omaha World-Herald announced in the June 13, 1933 edition that Nebraska’s sixth Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp was approved in Washington D.C. and that it would be located near Valentine. Officials arrived in September to make arrangements for the… read more

CCC Camp Britton – Windsor CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Company #1193, Camp Britton, was based at the Agricultural Experiment Station in Windsor, Connecticut. It operated from Sept. 12, 1935 to May 26, 1937. Work included planting trees, insect eradication, forest improvements, road building, and clean-up work… read more

CCC Camp Cross – Sharon CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Cross housed Co. 182, S-51, and operated from June 20, 1933 to Apr. 1, 1941. It was based “in the rock-strewn valley of the Housatonic River.” According to the CCC Museum, work included the… read more

CCC Camp Fechner – Danbury CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp Fechner, which housed Company #2102 at Wooster Mountain State Park in Danbury, Connecticut, conducted the following improvement and development work: “removal and burning of over 80,000 elm trees to control Dutch Elm Disease; construction… read more

CCC Camp Roberts – Thomaston CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Camp Roberts, which housed Company #175, was stationed at Black Rock State Park in Thomaston, Connecticut. The camp was established May 30, 1933 and was discontinued Sept. 28, 1937. The camp’s “main projects were: building… read more

CCC Camp White – Barkhamsted CT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp White, which housed Company #106 at American Legion State Forest in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, operated from Dec. 28, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1942. C.C.C. Museum: This camp was named for Alan C. White, who was a leader… read more

CCC Camp: Blue Hills Reservation – Milton MA

From 1933-1937 a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp operated within the Blue Hills Reservation, south of Boston. Over that time the CCC made numerous improvements to the Reservation, including two lookout towers, ski trails, a toboggan run, and any number… read more

CCC Improvements – Jay Cooke State Park MN

Beginning in 1933, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), working from NPS regional office designs, built new structures and cleared “unneeded or undesirable” buildings, lakes, and ponds. Corpsmen also did landscaping work to improve the camp- and picnic grounds, overlooks, and… read more

Cedars of Lebanon State Park – Lebanon TN

The creation of the Cedars of Lebanon State Park in Tennessee was a multifaceted joint project of the Resettlement Administration, the CCC, the forestry division, NPS and the WPA: “Project development began in the fall of 1935, with forestry personnel,… read more

Cedarville State Forest – Brandywine MD

The nearly 2,700 acres encompassing what is now Cedarville State Forest was originally purchased as a forest demonstration area by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in 1930. Located in Charles and Prince George’s County, CCC project S-54 was initiated… read more

Central Park Improvements – New York NY

Central Park was originally established in the 1860s, but New Deal workers carried out massive improvements to the park from 1934 to 1938. In addition to the many specific projects listed by name, there were any number of improvements done with… read more

Central Park: Great Lawn – New York NY

Though Central Park was originally established in the 1850s, New Deal workers carried out massive improvements to the park from 1934 to 1938. Work included the creation of the park’s Great Lawn. The site was formerly the Lower Reservoir, which had recently been drained only… read more

Chadron State Park – Chadron NE

According to CCC alumnus Charles E. Humberger, quoted in the Nebraska History journal, “guest cabins were constructed and improvements made at the swimming pool and picnic and recreation area. Roads and trails were improved and drainage structures built. Brush dams… read more

Chesapeake and Ohio (C&O) Canal National Historical Park – Georgetown DC to Seneca MD

Under the New Deal, the defunct Chesapeake & Ohio (C&O) Canal was acquired by the federal government and restored from Georgetown in the District of Columbia (where it enters the Potomac River) to Seneca MD, a distance of 22 miles…. read more

Chickatawbut Road Improvements – Milton MA

Description of W.P.A. projects: “Chickatawbut Road, Braintree; work will be started in the early spring of 1939 on the general improvement and beautification of the Chickatawbut Road entrance to Blue Hills Reservation. Work will include tree removal, clearing, excavation, rip-rapping… read more

Cockaponset State Forest – Middlesex County CT

In operation from Dec. 9, 1933 to Jul. 30, 1941, C.C.C. Camp Filley conducted extensive development work in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, Connecticut. Camp Hadley, Company #2101, also operated on this site, from Sept. 5, 1935 to Apr…. read more

Columbia Island Improvements – Washington DC

CCC boys on Columbia Island - Washington DC

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) did extensive improvements on Columbia Island in 1934-35. Construction of Memorial Bridge and the George Washington Parkway had made the island more accessible in the late 1920s.  A  HABS Survey describes the CCC’s work: “The… read more

Crissy Field Landscaping – San Francisco CA

Continuation of excavation, filling in low areas, constructing new roads, parking areas, garages and playground; landscaping areas in vicinity of officers’ and non-commissioned officers’ quarters; landscaping and fire prevention work around flying field; construction of one double tennis court in… read more

Delaware Ordnance Depot (former) Development – Pedricktown NJ

The WPA conducted extensive work at former Delaware Ordnance Depot, located on the west side of Route 130 about halfway between Penns Grove and Pedricktown. Many buildings and much of the infrastructure from the time is still extant. WPA projects at the… read more

Earl Ruth Park – Parlier CA

WPA Proj. No. 646-02-2-300, $2,200, June 7, 1938. “Make improvements to the City Park in the city of Parlier, Fresno County, including constructing restroom with utility connections, wading pool, swings, sand boxes, and other recreational facilities; grading and oiling roads;… read more

Edgewood Recreation Center Improvements – Washington DC

During the 1930s, Edgewood Playground, as it was then known, was upgraded as part of a larger Capital Parks improvement program undertaken by the Public Works Administration (PWA), Civil Work Adminstration (CWA), Works Progress Administration (WPA), and Civilian Conservation Corps… read more