“Lane Field is a former baseball stadium located in San Diego, California. The ballpark was home to the San Diego Padres of the Pacific Coast League from 1936 through 1957. The ballpark was located in downtown San Diego, at the… read more
“A new concrete stadium and playground at Leon High School in Tallahassee was completed through the combined efforts of the WPA, the City of Tallahassee, Leon County, and the local Junior Chamber of Commerce.”
The former 17,000-seat Manning Bowl was constructed by the federal Works Progress Administration between 1936 and 1938. The facility was demolished in 2004. WPA Bulletin, 1937: “At 10 o’clock Thanksgiving Day morning football teams of the Lynn Classical and Lynn… read more
The since-demolished McLean Stadium of the University of Kentucky was one of many structures that was either constructed or improved with the assistance of federal New Deal funds. “Although unable to secure funding for expanded seating,” Eric Moyen writes, the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration constructed an athletic field between 1936 and 1937 “to care care of track, football and baseball.” This facility is believed to be the original iteration of Sprague Field, which was inaugurated in 1937.
Aberdeen’s Municipal Ballpark, a.k.a. Pheasant Park, was constructed in 1936, competed as a Works Progress Administration (WPA) project. The facility rebuilt in 1954 and demolished in 1975. The exact location of the since-demolished ballpark is unknown to Living New Deal.
“The WPA contributed to construction of the American Legion Municipal Stadium on Cherry Road, an open-air stadium accompanied by a stone building that housed the entrance to the stadium; a plaque on the building commemorates the contribution.” (sc.gov) Believed to… read more
In March, 1939 the federal government approved $65,000 for a new football stadium in Sweetwater, Texas. Texas Senator Tom Connally and U.S. Representative from Texas Clyde L. Garrett received credit for getting the project signed off. The Works Project Administration… read more
“Natrona County High School was originally known as Casper High School in its early days. The current building was constructed between 1924 and 1941 in Collegiate Gothic style. It was partially built under the authority of the Works Progress Administration;… read more
In 1940 and 1941, the Marietta Board of Education and the WPA collaborated on modernizing the athletic field of Marietta High School. Work included grading the field to facilitate drainage, the construction of concrete stands, the installation of lights for… read more
“A sports stadium was constructed at the Norfolk Division in 1936. The stadium cost approximately $300,000; money was appropriated through municipal funds and from the Virginia Emergency Relief Administration and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). During the summers, the stadium… read more
Palmyra High School’s football stadium was originally constructed by the WPA in 1936, with a full grandstand, quarter mile cinder track, and football field with accompanying locker rooms. It was recently renovated by the Aliano Brothers and Garrison Architects, who… read more
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Paris Junior College Stadium in Paris TX. A 1941 article published in the Paris News provides details about the new project: “Construction of Noyes Stadium, a $100.000 athletic’ plant for Paris Junior College, begins Monday… read more
1933 Mayor Alvin Lucier in his inaugural address listed 4 major projects done in cooperation with Federal Relief agencies. 3. PARKS AND COMMONS AND RECREATION FACILITIES. This project was designed to further develop the Artillery Pond project and includes some… read more
“Now a standard Nashville tradition, Iroquois Steeplechase traces roots back to 1936, when Marcellus Frost suggested a racecourse to take over a piece of Warner Parks. Mason Houghland, master of the Hillsboro Hounds, along with foxhunter Con. Thompson Ball, and… read more