Armstrong Redwoods State Natural Reserve: Improvements – Guerneville CA

Trail in Armstrong Redwoods SNP - Guerneville CA

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) did extensive improvements at Armstrong State Park, circa 1935-1936.  Relief workers  built an amphitheater, a community building (including warden’s headquarters), picnic areas with stone stoves and tables built from native redwood, a timber bridge, two… read more

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District – Carlsbad NM

Overview of Carlsbad Caverns Historic District

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) operated a camp at Rattlesnake Springs from 1938 to 1942 and conducted substantial construction and development work at Carlsbad Caverns National Park, including at what’s now known as the Carlsbad Caverns National Park Historic District…. read more

CCC Camp NA-1 (National Arboretum) – Washington DC

Young African-American men of CCC company 1360 - Washington DC

Camp NA-1 was located in the National Arboretum, Washington, DC, and was home to Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 1360, an all African-American unit. Many of the enrollees in Company 1360 were young men from the city itself. Company 1360… read more

CCC Camp SP3 – Fairburn SD

Historic marker for CCC Camp SP-3 in South Dakot

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) maintained a camp on French Creek east of Custer State Park in South Dakota from 1934 to 1941.  It was officially camp SP-3 (meaning State Park #3).  The recruits worked on projects in region under… read more

Detroit Zoological Park Exhibit Improvements – Royal Oak MI

Detroit Zoo Entrance

New Deal agencies undertook a variety of improvements at the Detroit Zoological Park in Royal Oak, Michigan. Between 1933 and 1937, the Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded and… read more

Detroit Zoological Park Improvements – Royal Oak MI

Screenshot 2022-06-19 at 12.50.59 PM

New Deal agencies undertook a variety of improvements at the Detroit Zoological Park in Royal Oak, Michigan. Between 1933 and 1937, the Civil Works Administration (CWA), the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), and the Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded and… read more

East Bay Regional Parks: Other Improvements – Berkeley CA and Oakland CA

The East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD) was formed in 1934 and acquired land for parks from the East Bay Municipal Water District in 1936.  The first parks were Tilden, Sibley, Temescal and Redwood in the East Bay Hills behind… read more

Fall River Entrance Ranger Station – Rocky Mountain National Park CO

Fall River entrance ranger residence, Rocky Mountain National Park CO

In 1936, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed three buildings for what was then called the Bighorn Ranger Station at the east entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park – which was the original entrance on this side of the park…. read more

Kennedy Park Improvements – South Bend IN

The National Youth Administration (NYA) pursued improvements at South Bend’s Kennedy Park in 1939. The park was known as Bendix Park during the New Deal. “Plans for beautifying Bendix Park are being completed by the board of park commissioners of… read more

Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park: Visitors Center – Orick CA

Visitor's Center, Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park - Orick CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made the first improvements to the newly-acquired Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park.  Company 1903 worked out of a CCC camp established at the north end of the ‘prairie’ at the present park entrance.  The first… read more

Prince William Forest Park – Triangle VA

Cabin group at Prince William Forest Park - Triangle VA

Prince William Forest Park was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), with help from skilled workers of the Works Progress Administration (WPA), from 1935 to 1942.  It was then known as Chopawamsic Recreation Demonstration Area (the name was changed… read more

Rainbow Forest Residential Compound – Petrified Forest National Park AZ

Residence at Rainbow Forest - Petrified Forest National Park AZ

A major upgrade of facilities at the Petrified Forest National Monument (now National Park) was undertaken by the New Deal in the 1930s.  The work was carried out from 1933 to 1940 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), under the… read more

Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center – North Higgins Lake MI

Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center - North Higgins Lake MI

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was very active in northern Michigan, planting trees, fighting fires and building recreation facilities in state parks.  There was a CCC camp at Higgins Lake.   The CCC built the Ralph A. MacMullan Conference Center… read more

Ranger Residences – Petrified Forest National Park AZ

Residence across from Painted Desert Inn - Petrified Forest National Park AZ

A major upgrade of facilities at the Petrified Forest National Monument (now National Park) was undertaken by the New Deal in the 1930s.  The work was carried out in 1936–40 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), under the direction of… read more

Recreation Park Facilities – Asheville NC

Recreation Park Skating Rink, Asheville, NC

The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) provided labor for the construction of multiple facilities at Recreation Park in Asheville, NC. The CWA constructed a barracks at the park, as well as developing a skating rink…. read more

Recreational Development – Rocky Mountain National Park CO

Mt Julian and Mt Ida from Trail Ridge road summit - Rocky Mountain National Park CO

Rocky Mountain National Park was established in 1915 to preserve a spectacular section of the highest peaks of the Rocky Mountains.  Several new additions to the park have been made over the years, until it reached its present size of… read more

Reinhardt Redwood Regional Park Improvements – Oakland CA

The East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD) was formed in 1934 and acquired land for parks from the East Bay Municipal Water District in 1936.  The first parks were Tilden, Sibley, Temescal and Redwood in the East Bay Hills behind… read more

Richardson Grove State Park Development – Garberville CA

Redwood next to Visitors Center, Richardson Grove State Park - Garberville CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made several improvements to Richardson Grove State Park during the period 1933-40.  Richardson Grove was one of the original Old Growth redwood groves purchased by the Save the Redwoods League in the early 20th century… read more

Staff Residential Area – Rocky Mountain National Park CO

Staff residences near utility area - Rocky Mountain National Park CO

The New Deal contributed many residential buildings for park staff at Rocky Mountain National Park, particularly in the large cluster of housing next to the utility area – the main maintenance station for the park which is near the Beaver… read more

Temescal Regional Recreation Area: Improvements – Oakland CA

North entrance sign, Temescal Regional Park - Oakland CA

The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved Lake Temescal Park, now known as Temescal Regional Recreation Area, one of the original units of the East Bay Regional Parks District (EBRPD). When the EBRPD was created in 1934, the Civilian Conservation Corps… read more

Tennessee State University Improvements – Nashville TN

Administration buildin, Tennessee State University - Nashville TN

Tennessee State University was established in 1909 as Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State College, a land-grant college.  It is the only state-funded historically Black college or university in Tennessee. The New Deal helped a great deal to  build up the… read more

Tuolumne Meadows Campground Contact Station – Yosemite National Park CA

Contact station, Tuolumne Meadows campground - Yosemite National Park CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed the Tuolumne Meadows campground in 1933-34 and added a “contact station” or entrance station in 1936. The building is done is classic National Park rustic style, with massive boulder walls. An entrance kiosk has… read more

Tusayan Ranger Station – Kaibab National Forest AZ

CCC-built "seed house"

Several structures along Lincoln Log Loop in the Tusuyan Ranger Station complex were originally constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  “The Tusayan Ranger Station is one of the most historically-intact Forest Service administration complexes in Arizona. Six buildings were… read more