Arroyo Viejo Recreation Center – Oakland CA

Arroyo Viejo Recreation Center/Park was developed between 1936 and 1939 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), working with the Oakland Recreation Department.  The WPA funded the project for around $60,000 in 1935 (Chronicle 1935). The 16 acre site on Arroyo… read more

Fort Mountain State Park – Chatsworth GA

Fort Mountain Stone Tower

Fort Mountain State Park in northern Georgia was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the 1930s. Part of the Cohutta Mountain Range, the park gained its name for a stone structure located along a mountaintop in the area…. read more

Grand Canyon Village Improvements – Grand Canyon Village AZ

CCC rock wall along Rim Trail - Grand Canyon Village AZ

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was extremely active in Grand Canyon National Park throughout the New Deal. The CCC enrollees worked under the direction of the National Park Service (NPS) and some of the projects were funded by the Public… read more

Richardson Grove State Park Development – Garberville CA

Redwood next to Visitors Center, Richardson Grove State Park - Garberville CA

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made several improvements to Richardson Grove State Park during the period 1933-40.  Richardson Grove was one of the original Old Growth redwood groves purchased by the Save the Redwoods League in the early 20th century… read more

Tribal Hall of the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians (Empire Community Hall) – Coos Bay OR

Tribal Hall of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians

Built in 1940-41 to serve as a multi-purpose community center for the Confederated Tribes of Coos, Lower Umpqua and Siuslaw Indians, this tribal hall is the last known intact New Deal Indian Community Building left in Oregon. Its funding came… read more