A historical marker erected in 2008 reads: “In 1937, the Southwestern Settlement and Development Company deeded land to Newton County. This property would become known as Woods Park, named for the company’s surveyor, C.A. Woods. County residents used the park… read more
According to the index of WPA projects at the National Archives, WPA crews both helped improve the water system and constructed sidewalks in the Woodside Park subdivision.
The Woolridge Wayside picnic area on Woolridge Road (Rt. 640) in the Appomattox-Buckingham State Forest “features some large black walnut trees and a spring at the bottom of the hill. The Civilian Conservation Corps, or CCC, built this shelter, as… read more
By the time Franklin Delano Roosevelt was inaugurated president in 1933, the United States was suffering the worst economic collapse in its history. In order to stimulate the economy and lessen unemployment, Roosevelt started the Public Works Administration (PWA) and,… read more
The Massachusetts Department of Forestry acquired “one thousand acres of land in Wrentham and Plainville” in 1934. CCC labor was utilized to “clean up the underbrush, make the woodroads into real roads, rebuild old dams which have been down for… read more
WPA Project No. 265-5-3000, App. Date 10/26/36, $8,295, Total Funds $10,733, Average Employed 56, Sponsor: U.S. Dept. of Agriculture, (Forest Service), “Improve and repair public camp grounds, including the construction of a masonry dam at the outlet of Wrights Lake,… read more
“The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal relief agency for young men, played a major role” in the development of Yellowstone National Park “between the years 1933–42 in developing Yellowstone facilities. CCC projects included reforestation, campground development of many… read more
Lake impounded by earth dam on west. Documentation (mapsand plans on file in forest office) clearly indecates the dam was planned in the 1930s, but there is none to indicate that it was eventually constructed during this period not noted… read more
This log contraction, with stone chimney, was completed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
Made by stone. 2 stone chimneys, stone floor. Constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
WPA work involved "Landscaping and planting various cut slopes and excavated areas which have been opened up during the construction of the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge"–Mooser, p. 84.
These improvements include the creation of a recreational beach by dredging sand from the San Joaquin River, the construction of dressing room barges, the provision of lighting for the park, and the construction of 50 benches. Currently the park is… read more
In January 1941, the National Youth Administration began building a bathhouse with dressing and toilet facilities at Zaragoza Park as well as a chain-linked fence around the pool that was connected to the bathhouse. The City of Austin furnished materials… read more
Zilker Metropolitan Park is located at the confluence of Barton Creek and the Colorado River in Austin, Texas. The 351 acre park is administered by the Austin Parks and Recreation Department and is considered “Austin’s most-loved park.” Starting in 1917,… read more
The Civil Works Administration built the Girl Scouts Hut in Zilker Metropolitan Park in 1934. Architect Charles H. Page designed the National Park Service rustic style building, which overlooks the Barton Creek greenbelt. The hut is still used for meetings… read more
The Civil Works Administration remodeled a historic house into a refectory at Zilker Metropolitan Park, based on architect Charles H. Page’s design. Text from the state historical marker: “Originally built in the 1870s for Austin pioneer Ashford McGill, this native… read more
“The historical buildings and structures of Zion National Park represent a variety of buildings, interpretive structures, signs and infrastructure associated with the National Park Service’s operations in Zion National Park, Utah. Structures vary in size and scale from the Zion… read more
The bridge abutments at the Emerald Pools and Angel’s Landing trailheads along the Virgin River display rock work that was clearly done by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The abutments and foundations have survived even though the original bridges have… read more
The Canyon Overlook Trial at Zion National Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1933. It runs about a half mile from the east portal of the famous Zion-Mt. Carmel Tunnel to an overlook at the Great Arch…. read more
The East and South Entrance Signs were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1934 and 1935 and are made of locally-quarried red sandstone pillars, with horizontal logs supporting the signs. The signs were designed by the National Park Service… read more
The smaller of the two check-in stations at Zion National Park is the East Entrance check-in. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) completed the entrance in 1935. (The North Entrance check-in was added in the 1990s.) In 1934, the CC constructed… read more
In 1942, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a path on the east side of the main road up to a viewing platform. The CCC built the construction in stones that face west toward the Throne of the Patriarchs. It… read more
Mormon farmers excavated the Pine Creek Irrigation Canal at the turn of the century, using water from Pine Creek to irrigate farmland on the west side of the Virgin River near Bridge Mountain. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built new… read more