A lattice steel public toilet built similarly to the one next to the Rose Bowl nearby. Two plaques on the front read “Built by United States Work Projects Administration 1940” and “Renovated by Public Works and Transportation Building Systems and… read more
In November 1937, the Department of Parks announced the completion of a new playground at Weller Ave. and Brookville Blvd in Brookville Park: “the new playground is equipped with swings, seesaws, slides, jungle gym, sand tables, playhouses, ping pong tables,… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) laborers improved Brown County State Park from 1933 – 1934. The CWA laborers built shelters and worked on establishing trails during their brief stay at Brown County State Park. In 1933 two Civilian Conservation Corps… read more
CCC laborers completed the park amphitheater in 1936. The amphitheater was built into a wooded hillside near the Abe Martin Lodge, as a place for programs and entertainment. The seats, stage, and steps were all made from native stone.
In 1934 a vast archery hunting ground was established in the eastern part of the Brown County State Park. In 1935 CCC laborers completed the Archery (Hunters’) Shelter. The shelter is classified as parks rustic state park.
The site was originally the camp of Emergency Conservation Work (ECW) laborers. In 1934 it became the home of CCC Co. 1557, which was comprised of World War I veterans. The marker commemorates CCC laborer and reads “It was in… read more
Hesitation Point was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The vista sign explains view (height, atmosphere). Hesitation Point is a good example of vistas cleared by CCC workers.
CCC laborers completed the Lower Shelter in 1936. The shelter is two stories with multiple fire places. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The north gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The Ogle Lake Shelter was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The shelter overlooks Ogle lake and the earth dam to the south. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
CCC laborers completed the oven shelter in 1940. Inside the stone shelter is a two-sided stone fireplace. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Several oven shelters were built throughout Brown County State Park between 1934 and 1940 but only a few survived. The oven and drinking fountains are in the vicinity of Lower Shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks… read more
The Weed Patch Shelter, also commonly known as Peach Tree Shelter, was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The building was originally called Vermin Shelter, today it is known as the recreational building. Originally the building was used to educate people about local animals. The shelter hosted various small predatory animals (hence the name “vermin shelter”) for public… read more
CCC workers completed the Brown County State Park saddle barn in 1936. It is the largest saddle barn of any Indiana state park, with stalls for 25 horses. The saddle barn is classified as Parks Rustic.
Strahl Shelter was renovated by CCC laborers in 1935. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
The Upper Shelter House was completed by CCC laborers in 1935. CCC workers also constructed a drinking fountain near the shelter. The style of the shelter is classified as parks rustic.
Using a variety of native materials, the CCC built gatehouses designed to appeal to the eye and draw in visitors with hints of the delights of nature within the park. The west gatehouse is one of two at Brown County… read more
The West Lookout Tower was completed by CCC laborers in 1936. The building is a two story structure overlooking a valley. The style of the lookout is classified as parks rustic.
The WPA made extensive improvements to Brush School, Santa Rosa, California, under Official Project Number 65-3-364. The work to the one-room school house included building stone retaining walls, a playground and a presumed tennis court (Goddard, 1976: 72-74). Though now… read more
Bryce Canyon was originally designated as a national monument by President Warren G. Harding in 1923 and became a national park through an act of Congress in 1928. The park covers 35,835 acres in south-central Utah. The New Deal greatly… read more
Several cabins for Bryce Canyon National Park employees were built by New Deal agencies over the course of the 1930s. They appear in the residential area of the Park near the lodge. The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built a 3-room employee cabin… read more
Rainbow Point was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) in 1939, and it has three different components. First is the overlook area. This has been refurbished in recent years, but the original stone and metal railings can be seen outside of the… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) performed road work in Bryce Canyon National Park from 1934-1941. The CCC made grading improvements on the Rim Road (the 20 mile-long road through the park) and built service roads. The exact locations of such… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) laid out the first campground in Bryce Canyon National Park in 1934. Several campsites are leveled using tell-tale CCC stone-work. Water and sewer lines were laid. The original tables no longer exist but metal fireplaces appear… read more
From 1934 to 1940, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built or improved major trails in Bryce Canyon National Park, greatly expanding the park’s trail system. The most impressive is the Under-The-Rim trail, running from Bryce Point to Rainbow Point (18.8… read more
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to clear the land for / develop the then-new Buckhorn Island State Park.