Dolliver Memorial State Park – Lehigh IA

“C.C.C. Company 2725 established camp DSP-3 (now SP-6) in Dolliver Memorial State Park on August 7, 1934, and immediately set to work constructing a series of barracks (Fig,.10) and a shop (Fig. 11). Aerial photography of Webster County from 1939… read more

Earl Ruth Park – Parlier CA

WPA Proj. No. 646-02-2-300, $2,200, June 7, 1938. “Make improvements to the City Park in the city of Parlier, Fresno County, including constructing restroom with utility connections, wading pool, swings, sand boxes, and other recreational facilities; grading and oiling roads;… read more

Forest Park – St. Louis MO

Forest Park is one of the largest municipal parks in the nation, just larger than Central Park in NYC. It was the site of the 1904 Worlds Fair and the WPA projects in the park transformed it and brought it… read more

Gifford Woods State Park – Killington VT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed Vermont’s Gifford Woods State Park during the 1930s. “Development of Gifford Woods State Park began in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps …  In 1933 and 1934, CCC crews constructed the park office and… read more

Hard Labor Creek State Park – Rutledge GA

An onsite marker commemorates the extensive work of the CCC at this site, reading in part: “This park was built in 1934 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), a New Deal program sponsored by President Roosevelt. It was administered as… read more

High Point State Park – Sussex County NJ

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) drastically impacted New Jersey’s High Point State Park. In 1933, when “the CCC boys first arrived at High Point Park, they found a relatively undeveloped 11,000-acre parcel of land. … By the time the CCC… read more

Improvements – Dixie National Forest UT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made various improvements in the Dixie National Forest in 1935, including lookout shelters, roads, trails and comfort stations (restrooms) at Blow Hard Mountain and Brian Head Peak. A CCC camp had been established at Zion… read more

International Peace Garden – Dunseith ND

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) developed the International Peace Garden during the 1930s.

Inwood Hill Park Improvements – New York NY

During the Great Depression, the WPA radically transformed this large park at the Northwest tip of Manhattan, making accessible what is now the only largely non-landscaped park in all of Manhattan. WPA workers built roads, trails and overlooks throughout the… read more

Jackie Robinson Park – New York NY

The spacious Jackie Robinson Park in Harlem, originally called Colonial Park and known for many years as Bradhurst Park, first opened in 1911, but was only fully developed under the New Deal. When the Department of Parks announced the planned… read more