The Public Works Administration funded the construction of the Oakes Field House (former Recreation Building) in South Charleston in 1939. The Recreation Building, as it was called in 1939, is a two-story brick building with gable and seven bays facing 3rd… read more
The Works Progress Administration built additions and made improvements to the Rash Stadium in Owensboro. The current home side was built in 1940 as one of the WPA programs in Owensboro, KY. In 1940, the WPA appropriated $30,926 for the… read more
The New York Times reported in 1941 that, as part of WPA efforts, Brooklyn would receive six new playgrounds, located at: “Third Avenue and Thirty-fourth Street, Second Avenue and Fifty-fifth Street, Fort Hamilton Parkway and Fifty-second Street, Albany and Foster… read more
Palisades Playground and Park was developed by New Deal agencies in the mid-1930s. The field house was built with Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1936. That same year, the Washington Post reported that Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers had… read more
The Park Point Beach House and adjacent recreation field, located in Park Point on Minnesota Point, were constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA).
The National Youth Administration built a running track for the Parkersburg High School in Parkersburg. At the time of its construction this was the only half-mile track in West Virginia.
A project involving construction of an athletic field at Perry High School (now Perry Traditional Academy) was undertaken in 1936 as part of a New Deal project, sponsored by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The PWA provided a $17,994 grant for the project, whose… read more
Pierce Memorial Field was constructed as a federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) project during the Great Depression. “The site of the athletic field was an abandoned gravel pit … [which] had gradually been developing into a public dump, … taking… read more
A WPA project for $21,000 improvements at the Laurel Municipal Stadium included brick seats to accommodate 3,000, a brick stadium house, brick wall at the south end of the stadium, permanent parking space, brick walls, brick ticket booths and replacing… read more
A 1938 report from the Los Angeles Department of Playground and Recreation describes the WPA’s role in creating the Rancho Cienega recreation area: “Forerunner of the great regional recreation centers of the future, the Rancho Cienega Playground was the outstanding… read more
Randall’s Island Park cover more than 400 acres of the 500+ acre island. It contains dozens of tennis courts, baseball diamonds, soccer fields, playgrounds and other recreational facilities, as well as paths, greenways and a marsh. Frank da Cruz summarizes the extensive… read more
In 1933/4 the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) furnished the labor toward the development of an athletic area / playground at Sedgwick Middle School in West Hartford—specifically the planting of elm trees at the northern and western sides of the… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the Sharpe Memorial Park Arena in Purcell OK. Contributor note: “The building of these grandstands showed the openness the WPA had to building items which were of particular interest to the local community – hence a… read more