The Iron County Jail in Crystal Falls, Michigan, built adjacent to the county courthouse, was constructed as Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied a $17,015 grant for the project, whose total cost was $59,798. Construction occurred in 1936. PWA… read more
The Mississippi state legislature approved Sb231 authorizing Jefferson County to issue $20,000 bonds for the construction of a new jail. President Roosevelt signed approval for Works Progress Administration project No. 50,036 September 26, 1940 for $23,775 to construction the jail…. read more
“The Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded the 1940 changes to the” former Jefferson County “jail, including the Woman’s and Children’s building.”
Located on North Main Street across from the Lincoln County Courthouse in Canton, SD, the WPA assisted in the construction of the county’s jail and sheriff’s residence.
America Builds: “Many schools for feeble-minded and epileptic children have been built … At Mansfield the State of Connecticut maintains a school, which with the aid of a PWA grant of $2,576,700 provides living and hospitalization facilities, as well as… read more
Completed in 1942, this Work Projects Administration building features native Missouri stone and concrete. The building was designed by architect Mason C. Abbitt from Jefferson City, MO. Construction occurred in two stages and the facility includes a county jail.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) provided labor for the improvement of what was then the Matteawan State Hospital (now Fishkill Correctional Facility) in Beacon, New York.
The Works Progress Administration built a county jail in Montrose, CO. The two-story structure was built of store quarried locally. The federal expenditure was $18,514. Local sponsors contributed an additional $9,348. The exact location and condition of this structure are… read more
The National Training School for Boys was a federal juvenile detention center for boys under seventeen, located in the Fort Lincoln area of Washington, DC. In 1935-37, Works Progress Administration (WPA) relief labor was used to make various improvements around… read more
The Works Progress Administration built several agricultural buildings, which included a chicken farm and hennery, at the National Training School for Boys in Washington DC, circa 1937.
The Works Progress Administration built a road leading to the annex facilities at the National Training School for Boys in Washington DC, circa 1937.
The Works Progress Administration (WPA) renovated several buildings at the National Training School for Girls in Washington DC, located at Conduit (now MacArthur Blvd) and Little Falls Road, NW. The National Training School was a reform school administered at the time by… read more
Improvements at the former New York City Reformatory in New Hampton, New York were undertaken as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project.
The Civil Works Administration (CWA) added a jail to the existing Newton County courthouse in Decatur, Mississippi during the Great Depression as a part of a temporary job creation program under the Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA). It was demolished… read more
The St. Landry Parish Courthouse annex and jail project was undertaken in New Roads, Louisiana during the Great Depression with the assistance of funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA). The facilities were part of the largest wave of… read more
The first major federal Public Works Administration (PWA) project undertaken in Atlanta during the Great Depression was the city’s police station and jail. The PWA supplied a $257,000 loan and $97,460 grant for the project, whose total cost was $355,867…. read more
The two-story jail was completed in 1936 for a total cost of $27,453. Public Works Administration provided a grant of $12,310 and Rankin County provided the remainder through a bond election. The project, W1159, was approved November 14, 1935, and… read more
In 1935 F.E.R.A. and W.P.A. labor conducted the following improvement work at what was then known as the Reformatory (now Massachusetts Correctional Institution), in Framingham, Mass.: Roads and walks were constructed and grading done at the Reformatory Mother’s Cottage and… read more
The historic Renville County Courthouse in Mohall, North Dakota was built starting in April 1936 and dedicated on June 25, 1937. Its construction was enabled by a grant provided by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA). The Moderne building, which… read more
The Federal Emergency Relief Administration carried out repair work at the Richmond Penitentiary in the vicinity of Christiansted. The repair work included roof repairs after fire-related damage. Today, the facilities are vacant and in an advanced state of disrepair.
Excerpt from the National Archives and Records Administration, Neg. 17975-D: “Rikers Island Penitentiary. Description of work done by WPA. Erection of four single family residences; two single family residences; 5400 linear feet chain-like fence. Fence around entire institution, fence around… read more
Located behind the Roberts County Courthouse, Sisseton South Dakota’s former Roberts County Jail was constructed during the Great Depression with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $11,200 grant; the total cost of the… read more
Construction of the Roosevelt County Courthouse and Jail was undertaken as a New Deal project during the Great Depression. Sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.), the building was actually a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. The P.W.A. supplied… read more