The Public Works Administration (PWA) reconstructed the Shipley’s Battery and Signal Station on Hassell Island, in the vicinity of Charlotte Amalie. The cost of the PWA work was $4,495.87.
The W.P.A. conducted improvement work at the South Boston Naval Annex, which was located in South Boston. W.P.A. project details: “Improvements at Boston Navy Yard, So. Boston Annex, and Lockwood Basin” Official Project Number: 154‐3‐14‐529 Total project cost: $568,252.00 Sponsor:… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) rehabilitated police stations in San Francisco during the Great Depression, including the Southern and Mission Stations. The agency: Rehabilitated buildings to meet requirements of department, providing additional cell space, new ventilation and painting.–Healy, p…. read more
The Springfield Armory began “as a major arsenal under the authority of General George Washington early in the Revolutionary War” and “began manufacturing muskets in 1794.” (www.nps.gov.) Renovation and repair was conducted under the Works Progress Administration (WPA), including razing… read more
Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five, what is now the St. Joseph Fire Museum was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a Federal Works Agency plaque on the right side of its… read more
Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Seven, the building at 919 Corby Street was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The station was moved across the street from an earlier firehouse just across… read more
This WPA Coast Guard Station at St. Simons Island, GA was built from 1935-1937. The building is still in existence, but is now a museum rather than a USCG facility. “In 1933, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, as part of the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at Ogdensburg’s historic State Armory building.
W.P.A. improvements to the Governor William A. O’Neill State Armory in Hartford, CT included the following projects sponsored by the Quartermaster General’s Department: Paint Armory Official Project Number: 165‐15‐2072 Total project cost: $4,449.00 Repair and improve Armory building Official Project… read more
The Works Progress Administration built a garage for the State Armory of Mounted Commands in Providence. The location and status of this project is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
Short and Stanley-Brown write: The Ohio State Highway Patrol operates from the city of Columbus and has four district headquarters, all radio-connected. Three of these units are in permanent buildings. The Cambridge headquarters has been provided with this new building… read more
Using ERA funds, Parchman Farm State Penitentiary was one of several state institutions to receive funding for repairs and improvements, 1934-1935. The Penal Board president reported many buildings in need of repair, including the farm’s light plant. Specific repairs are… read more
A 1937 Hartford Courant article reported that the WPA contributed “to the improvement and enlargement of the [state police] barracks at Westport and Ridgefield.” One source suggests that the former barracks was on East Ridge Road, and now houses the local police… read more
A 1937 Hartford Courant article reported that the WPA contributed “to the improvement and enlargement of the [state police] barracks at Westport and Ridgefield.” The location and status of this former barracks is presently unknown to Living New Deal.
Hartford Courant: “The cornerstone of the new $150,000 State Police administration building on Washington Street was laid Thursday in ceremonies In which Governor Cross, State officials, and officials of the Works Progress Administration took part.” Among the remarks: “Now largely through the… read more
The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a pistol range at the Morristown State Police Headquarters, ca. 1937. The exact location and status of the project is unknown to Living New Deal.
Constructed in 1937 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA), this facility was built to house the Michigan State Police’s Gaylord Post. The building is still in service. It was equipped with a 325-foot broadcasting station equal in power to that in the capital… read more