The armory was constructed by the WPA in 1935-1936. “A one unit facility, the Pawhuska Armory is rectangular…with offsets and is constructed of rusticated and generally coursed native sandstone… The Pawhuska Armory is particularly significant because it was one of… read more
Originally the 102d Cavalry Armory, this facility was constructed with the aid of Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. “This city is a residential suburb near New York. It has a population of approximately 25,000. The building contains a large riding… read more
The WPA-built Art Moderne style armory adjacent to Delta State Teachers College (now Delta State University) provided facilities beginning in 1946 for one of the earliest guidance centers. Delta State later acquired the armory building and it served as an… read more
The Works Progress Administration financed the construction of a national guard armory and rifle range for Amory. Architects N. W. Overstreet and A. H. Town designed the building, “expected to exceed $56,000 and take 12 months” (Daily Clarion-Ledger, Oct. 6,… read more
The Works Progress Administration built the National Guard Armory in Batesville in 1936. A 1998 National Register of Historic Places Registration Form describes the formal characteristics of the structure: “The 1936 National Guard Armory in Batesville was constructed in a vernacular Ozark stone… read more
Saved from the wrecking ball after being slated for demolition in 2007, Bozeman’s Daily Chronicle writes that current plans (as of 2013) for the building call for the construction of an eight-story ’boutique’ hotel on top of the existing structure…. read more
The Work Projects Administration (WPA) constructed the former National Guard Armory at 302 W. Fox Street in Carlsbad, New Mexico, in about 1941-2. WPA project No. 265‐1‐85‐20: “Construct Armory and improve grounds,” $108,355, sponsored by the State Armory Board.
From the National Park Service website: “Among the highlights of Chandler’s Route 66 landscape is the Chandler Armory, behind which stands the only brick outhouse in Oklahoma, thought to have been built between 1903 and 1912 and still containing its… read more
The former National Guard Armory in Columbia, Tennessee was designed by Warfield and Keeble. The facility includes a 70×100-foot drill hall. Warfield and Keeble designed a series of Tennessee National Guard Armories for the WPA between 1940-1942 with a “standardized… read more
The National Guard Armory in Greenwood, Mississippi was built by the federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) with the City of Greenwood and Leflore County as sponsors. Began in 1939, the building was completed in 1940, with the facility dedicated March… read more
In 1941, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed work on a National Guard armory designed by Edd Gregg. The building is a poured, 2-story modern Deco style building with both horizontal and vertical elements on the front façade. It has… read more
“The Pawnee Armory in Pawnee County, Oklahoma, United States, is a single story rectangular building measuring 149′ x 237′. It was built of native stone by the Works Progress administration. According to the plaque…it was completed in 1936, though the… read more
“The Sedalia Armory is one of the few remaining WPA projects in the city, and a good example of Art-Moderne style structures, emphasizing simplified streamlined form, smoothed-faced concrete exterior walls, rounded corners and horizontal emphasis. Work began on the Armory… read more
In 1942, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed work on a National Guard armory designed by Edd Gregg for Williamsburg. The building is a 2-story poured concrete building with a modern deco style. From the Kentucky National Guard History eMuseum:… read more
Duluth’s National Guard Armory, built in 1915, received a significant expansion through the Works Progress Administration on the eve of World War II. Minnesota’s WPA administrator, Sidney L. Stolte, announced the plans to “increase the size of the building, provide… read more
The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) constructed an armory and equipment garage and for the New Mexico National Guard in Tucumcari. The location and status of the structure is unknown to Living New Deal. Official Project Number: 165‐1‐85‐163 Project cost: $111,456.00 Project sponsor:… read more
Gardner, Massachusetts’s former city hall building was converted into as constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funds. The building is still in service.into an armory with assistance from the Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.).
The Washington Post, October 11, 1933, reported that the Public Works Administration (PWA) was funding a number of projects around Washington, including $66,945 for housing facilities and equipment at the district National Guard armory.
“The old National Guard Arsenal is the second largest adobe building in continuous use in the United States. Funded by the Works Progress Administration in 1936, it was part of the recreation development of Papago Park, an expansive, designed landscape.”