1 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
  • Tyler State Park - Tyler TX
    Tyler State Park was developed by CCC Company 2888 from 1935-1941: "Set into the Piney Woods of East Texas, Tyler State Park reflects two major park development efforts. The first, directed by landscape architect Ben K. Chambers, involved extensive forest reclamation and land rehabilitation that included tree planting, development of a road system, and construction of a dam and lake. Architect Joe C. Lair oversaw the other effort, which focused on the development of essential park buildings. Particularly noteworthy, the architect’s designs represent a clear break from the National Park Service rustic style so often used at CCC parks, including many...
  • Tyrrell Park - Beaumont TX
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 845 built facilities at Tyrrell Park. The CCC camp at Tyrrell Park began operations on November 24, 1935. CCC personnel worked on building drainage ditches, roads, nature trails, picnic tables, a horse stable, recreational buildings, entrance portal and a public golf course. The park is still in use, but most of the CCC structures have been neglected then torn down one-by-one. Hurricane Rita in 2005 and Hurricane Ike damaged the CCC-built clubhouse, and the damage has not been repaired.
  • U.S. 11 Improvements - Birmingham AL
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to "Improve US 11 on First Avenue from 85th Street to Cozy Corner" in Birmingham, Alabama.
  • U.S. 13 Development - Dover to Smyrna DE
    Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction along a dual carriageway that is now U.S. 13, through Smyrna, down to Bishops Corner, a place name for a community that lay just northeast of Cheswold, and through to Dover. The CWA also developed a road from Smyrna to White House, Delaware, and the construction continued north from Smyrna; the exact location and name of the road in question is unknown to Living New Deal. An average...
  • U.S. 17 - Murrells Inlet SC
    The federal Civil Works Administration constructed is now U.S. 17 in the vicinity of Murrells Inlet, South Carolina. "Near Murrell's Inlet, Route #49, C.W.A. Project #97, Georgetown County, South Carolina". The Civil Works Administration operated from November 1933-March 1934 and helped to employ nearly four million men during the Great Depression. The men worked to build and improve bridges, roads and public oriented buildings. SC Route 49 became a part of US 17 in 1935." (Georgetown County Digital Library) A photo of the work is available at the source links below.
  • U.S. 2 Bridge (former) - Alburg VT to Rouses Point NY
    The former toll bridge connecting Alburg, Vermont and Rouses Point, New York, which carried U.S. 2 across Lake Champlain, was constructed between 1936 and 1937 with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The bridge was replaced with a no-toll bridge 50 years later. The PWA provided a $343,131 grant toward the $768,555 total cost of the project. 1011.]
  • U.S. 20 - Michigan City IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed U.S. 20 in LaPorte County near Michigan City, Indiana, a $46,576 project. WPA Project No. 65‐1‐52‐2366
  • U.S. 31 - Jackson County IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed U.S. 31 from "Jackson Scott Co line north to Jct US 50 & SR 9" in Indiana, a $57,628 project. The ~14-mile stretch of road encompasses U.S. 31 through Crothersville.
  • U.S. 31 - Sellersburg to Henryville IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed U.S. 31 from Sellersburg to Henryville, Indiana, a $122,480 project.
  • U.S. 31 Improvements - Birmingham AL
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to "Grade, drain, and improve US 31 from North Birmingham to Lewisburg, 1936."
  • U.S. 4 Development - Rutland County VT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop U.S. 4—improving, widening, and straightening the road—in Rutland County, in Mendon and "Sherburne" (Sherburne Pass, Killington), Vermont. WPA Project No. 165-1-12-76
  • U.S. 40 - Richmond IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed U.S. 40 in Wayne County, Indiana from "Richmond to Ohio‐Ind. State line," an $25,837 project.
  • U.S. 40 Paving - Glasgow DE
    Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction on (including the grading and paving of) what is now U.S. 40, between the Maryland border and Glasgow, Delaware, and east to Bear. The highway was then a state route. An average of 1,410 were put to work each week during 1934 as a result of the CWA’s road, sidewalk, bridge, and other related infrastructure efforts in Delaware.  
  • U.S. 41 - West Creek Township IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed U.S. 41 in Lake County, Indiana from "Jct. SR 2 to Cook," an $84,582 project. WPA Project No. 65‐1‐52‐2366
  • U.S. 701 - Georgetown SC
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) provided the labor for the construction of U.S. 701 north of Georgetown, South Carolina. "Jeff Lewis is a natural-born storyteller who vividly recalls life in rural Georgetown County when wagons were the mode of transportation and cardboard extended the life of your shoes. During the Great Depression, the WPA hired local men and boys to help build Highway 701 and clear the swamps, and Lewis was one of the eager workers." (Georgetown County Digital Library)
  • U.S. 90 Improvements - Tallahassee to Monticello FL
    The WPA conducted beautification and improvement work on the "Tallahassee-to-Monticello highway," likely meaning U.S. 90. The project employed "45 common laborers at 30 cents per hour for an average of $39 per month."
  • U.S. Highway 129 - Knoxville / Alcoa TN
    U.S. Highway 129 was extended to Knoxville during the mid-1930s as part of a New Deal project associated with the construction of McGhee Tyson Airport. The 1935 topographic map, shown here, identifies the road as State Highway 33A. The road was expanded since the time of the original construction. No New Deal-era bridges were located in the partial survey of the road in December 2017.
  • U.S. Highway 395 - Bridgeport CA
    In 1934, 3.1 miles of old California Route 23 (now US 395) from Point Ranch to the Bodie Road, south of Bridgeport, were graded and surfaced at a cost of $45,000.  Funds came from the federal government Bureau of Public Roads.
  • U.S. Highway 46 Improvements - Denville NJ
    New Deal funds contributed the the development of the road system in Morris County, New Jersey. State.NJ.us: In the 1930s New Deal public works funding increased the pace of bridge construction with projects that included Route 10 from 1931 to 1935; Route 23 in 1934; and the dualization of Route 6 (present US 46) from 1937 to 1941.
  • U.S. Highway 70 - Globe AZ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop and improve U.S. Highway 60 near Globe, Arizona during the 1930s.
  • U.S. Naval Direction Finder Station (former) Improvements - Winter Harbor ME
    The W.P.A. worked to improve the former U.S. Naval Direction Finder Station, by Schoodic Point, south of Winter Harbor, Maine. W.P.A. project information: “Construct garage, tennis courts, and roadways” Official Project Number: 109‐3‐11‐24 Total project cost: $17,673.00 Sponsor: Commandant, 1st Naval District, U.S. Navy
  • U.S. Route 191 Improvements - Big Timber MT
    Montana's Big Timber Pioneer newspaper reported in 1937: "Emery C. Jones, foreman, Arne Hoem, timekeeper, left Monday morning with an additional camp outfit for Wheeler creek, where a crew of 14 PWA men will do improvement work on the highway leading to Melville. A camp has been established at the old Finstead ranch, this side of the Wheeler creek bridge beyond Ten Mile creek." Tenmile Creek and Wheeler Creek cross U.S. 191 11 and 14 miles north of Big Timber, respectively.
  • Uintah Street Bridge - Colorado Springs CO
    The Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) assisted in the financing of two bridges over Monument Creek in Colorado Springs's Monument Valley Park. "The two other major construction projects in the park during the 1930s were the replacement of the Uintah Street and Mesa Road bridges which had been washed out by the Memorial Day flood. The city received a Public Works Administration (PWA) loan and grant totaling $99,133 to cover the cost of the bridges. Each Art Deco style bridge was a 242-foot, three span, concrete and steel structure with concrete abutments and two concrete piers in the streambed.  Given the widening...
  • Umatilla Bridge #2117 - Pendleton OR
    With Public Works Administration (PWA) funding, the Oregon Highway Department constructed Umatilla Bridge #2117, also known as the Ballpark Bridge, in 1935. Part of Highway #30 in Pendleton when constructed, Oregon's state bridge designer Conde B. McCullough drew art deco and classical design features together for the small structure. More recently, the bridge has been bypassed by the highway system. Now it provides pedestrian access to park and athletic facilities. As described by Sarah Munro, members of the public continue to view the "art deco inspired-pylons, ornate bridge railings, cantilevered sidewalks, and architectural treatment of the substructure."
  • Umpqua River Bridge - Reedsport OR
    The bridge at the mouth of the Umpqua River at Reedsport OR was constructed with funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1934-36.  It was one of five PWA-funded bridges across major rivers that completed the Oregon Coast Highway, four of which still stand. The coast highway had been developed since 1914 by the state and coastal counties, but money ran out in the Great Depression, until the PWA offered $1.4 million and a loan of $4.2 million (replaced by a state bond issue). (HAER 1992, p 2-4). The Umpqua River bridge is over 2,200 feet long and includes a...
  • Underhill Avenue Improvements - Bronx NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with a Bronx street repair and maintenance project along roads throughout the borough. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were surfaced with penetrated macadam. Roads improved included stretches of Underhill Avenue: (a) from Patterson Ave. to Randall Ave.; and (b) from 177th St. to Havemeyer Ave—a project which might seem rather odd, given as these two cross-street intersections with Underhill Avenue do not presently exist.
  • Underhill State Park - Underhill VT
    Underhill State Park is one of nearly two dozen state parks in Vermont that was developed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the Great Depression era. "Between December 1933 and August 1940, the Underhill State Park was the base of operations for Camp-S-60 of the Civilian Conservation Corps, Companies 1291 and 1135. The primary focus of Camp S-60 within the Underhill State Park was the upgrading of existing and additional construction to the Mountain Road on the west side of Mount Mansfield. Other accomplishments included the development of skiing and hiking trails and the establishment of the lower, public camping...
  • Union Avenue Overpass - Staten Island NY
    The overpass carrying Union Avenue over what was then a freight and passenger railway (the North Shore Branch of the Staten Island Railway) was constructed during the mid-1930s, in conjunction with the lowering of the railroad right-of-way, as one link in a massive grade crossing removal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $1.46 million grant for the $6 million grade crossing elimination project, which included work elsewhere in Staten Island and even in Manhattan. PWA Docket No. NY 4926.
  • Union Blvd. Extension - Bay Shore NY
    Sayville's Suffolk County News reported in September 1934: "The extension of Union street from Fifth avenue, Bay Shore, to John street, Babylon, will be opened to traffic by October 1st... The extension is 3.14 miles in length and it is expected that it will divert considerable traffic from the Merrick road. The project, which is being carried out with PWA aid, will cost $120,300."
  • Union Canal Tunnel Improvements - Lebanon PA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to improve and otherwise restore Lebanon, Pennsylvania's Union Canal Tunnel. AmericanCanals.org: "The south portal is in almost "as new" condition thanks to restoration work performed in the 1930s under the WPA."
  • Union Falls Road Improvements - Black Brook NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved roads in Black Brook, New York in 1936, including "Union Falls road running along the north side of Silver Lake."
  • Union Mill Road Paving - Kapaau HI
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) constructed Haina Road. As reported on Mar. 16, 1935: "The asphalting of the Union Mill road was started Thursday under FERA."
  • Union Pacific Railroad Underpass - Houston TX
    In 1936, the Texas Highway Department and the United States Bureau of Public Roads built an underpass to separate the grade of Wayside Drive and the Galveston, Houston and Henderson Railroad (now Union Pacific).
  • Union Station Site Preparation - Los Angeles CA
    In February 1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) granted Los Angeles, CA, $304,000 to begin street realignment and improvements necessary for the construction of a new railroad station. The project in its entirety was expected to employ 350 to 400 men. In 1926, Los Angeles voters were given the opportunity to choose between the construction of a network of elevated railways or a new railroad station. They chose the latter by a 61.3 to 38.7 percent margin. Union Station—which would consolidate the city's existing Central and La Grande Stations—was to be located at the historic Los Angeles Plaza. However, preservationist Christine...
  • Union Terminal Company Underpass - Dallas TX
    The State of Texas chartered the Union Terminal Company on March 16, 1912. The mission of the company was to build a central terminal in Dallas for the seven railroads then serving the city. The company opened the Dallas Union Terminal in October 1916 and was also operating five miles of track within Dallas. At the peak of its usage, as many as eighty trains stopped each day at the station. In 1936, the Texas Highway Department with funding from the United States Bureau of Public Roads built a triple underpass to separate the grade of the Union Terminal Company track...
  • Union Turnpike - Queens NY
    Queens's Union Turnpike, then an "unimportant stretch less than two miles long," was developed as a paved, 100-foot-wide artery featuring a four-foot "center mall," as a large Works Progress Administration (WPA) project in anticipation of the 1939 World's Fair. Work focused on development of the road from Utopia Parkway east to the Nassau County line. "This six-and-a-half-mile short-cut," a $1,250,000 project, was constructed entirely by the WPA. The road was officially dedicated on June 30, 1939.
  • University Avenue Improvements - Morgantown WV
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements on University Avenue in Morgantown, Monogalia County.
  • University Avenue Overhead Bridge - University-Oxford MS
    T. M. Strider and Company was in charge of construction for the four-lane steel-reinforced concrete bridge replacement for the old two-lane wooden bridge across the Hilgard Cut, connecting the University with Oxford. The original cut was hand dug by enslaved Africans in 1857 in order to enable the Illinois Central Railroad to provide service to Oxford-University, and was the deepest cut in the ICRR system. The rails were laid along the cut, which is now the Gertrude Ford Boulevard. University Avenue was scheduled for closure for six months in order to construct the new bridge with an estimated cost of...
  • University Avenue Overpass - Berkeley CA
    The federal Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) funded construction of the railroad overpass on University Avenue in Berkeley – which today leads into the Interstate 80 freeway.  At the time, it was known as an "overhead".  The overpass is still in use today. The overpass is almost 1,000 feet long and carries four lanes of traffic, two in each direction.  It was jointly designed by state highway engineers, city engineering staff and engineering officials of the Southern Pacific Railroad.  The builders were Heafey-Moore Co. and Fredrickson & Watson Co., private contractors.  An article in California Highway and Public Works gives these details: "The...
  • Upolu Airport Road - Hawi HI
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) developed Upolu Airport Road in Hawi, Hawaii, (at least initially) under foreman Joe Moniz. Construction began in 1934 and continued into at least mid-1935.
1 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66