1 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66
  • Tongass National Forest Trails - Tongass National Forest AK
    The CCC carried out road and trail construction in the Tongass National Forest.
  • Toothrock Tunnel on Columbia River Highway - Bonneville OR
    The US Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) built the Toothrock Tunnel No. 4555  on the Columbia Gorge Highway near Bonneville, Oregon. Heading east on Interstate-84, as one approaches the Bonneville Dam, vehicles pass through an 837-foot, semicircular bore into Tooth Rock. Today, Toothrock Tunnel's artful design of basalt rockwork and concrete construction can be appreciated for its rustic, historic appearance as well as its 'natural' fit with the mountainous characteristics of the area. When plans were unveiled for it in 1935, however, it represented major improvements in modern highway design with its "skewed arch portals" fitting topographic conditions and a state-or-the-art lighting...
  • Tornillo-Guadalupe (Fabens-Caseta) Bridge - El Paso TX
    The Tornillo-Guadalupe International Bridge, known locally as the Fabens-Caseta Bridge, encouraged trade and commerce between the United States and Mexico for seventy-eight years (1938-2016), providing a symbolic and physical connection between the American and Mexican cultures. It was constructed a half mile southwest of this location in 1938 as part of the Rio Grande rectification project of the International Boundary Commission. It was demolished in 2016. This bridge, along with its sister bridge linking Fort Hancock, Texas, with El Porvenir, Chihuahua, were cornerstones of the rectification project stretching from El Paso, Texas, to Little Box Canyon south of Fort Quitman,...
  • Torrence Avenue Bridge - Chicago IL
    The bridge carrying S. Torrance Avenue across the Calumet River constructed as a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project. Completed in 1936, the "vertical lift bridge is the only non-bascule bridge built by the Chicago Public Works Department (now CDOT). The primary design requirements for this bridge called for a 200 ft clear channel width with a 21 ft clearance over the entire channel." P.W.A. Project No. IL 9625-X
  • Torrey-Boulder Road - Garfield County UT
    The Torrey-Boulder Road is one of three roads into Boulder, Utah in Garfield County. Before they were built, Boulder was a completely isolated settlement. The three roads are: Hells Backbone road - northwest from Boulder; Escalante-Boulder road, also called the "Million Dollar Highway';"  Torrey-Boulder Road - north from Boulder. It is certain that Hell's Backbone and the Escalante roads were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC).  It appears that the Torrey-Boulder road was also started by the CCC, but more information is lacking. The Torrey-Boulder road is now part of Highway 12.  It goes over a 9,000 foot pass and through aspen forests.
  • Torvet Saint Road Improvements - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas VI
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements on Torvet Saint Road, in Charlotte Amalie. The work included grading, curbing, and paving.
  • Toumey Road - Cornwall CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.) constructed Toumey Road; it shares the name of the C.C.C. camp which developed it.
  • Tower Avenue Paving - Hartford CT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) paved 34 streets in Hartford, Connecticut, including Tower Avenue, as part of a $2.5 million, two-year paving project begun in 1937. The federal government contributed $1 million.
  • Tower Bridge - Sacramento CA
    "On a cold December day in 1935, thousands of the citizens of Sacramento, California gathered at the end of M Street to celebrate the dedication of their city's new landmark. An accumulation of sixteen months of hard work, almost one million dollars and cooperation between local, state and federal government agencies along with private contractors, the Tower Bridge was ready to be dedicated and opened to the public. The first vertical lift bridge on the California Highway System, the Tower Bridge was described as "inextricably linked with symbolism of the future." Hailed both for its architectural design and streamlined appearance,...
  • Towne Hill Road Improvements - Montpelier VT
    Montpelier's 40th Annual Report details many roadwork projects undertaken in 1934 with Vermont Emergency Relief Administration (VERA) funds, including: "Town Hill Road, short section, excavation, stone base and graveling". In 1939 the Works Progress Administration (WPA) "resurfaced with gravel from Cutler Cemetery Road to East Montpelier line."
  • Townsend St. - San Francisco CA
    The WPA worked on Townsend St. between Embarcadero and 4th St.
  • Townsends Inlet Bridge - Sea Isle City to Avalon NJ
    The bridge carrying what was then known as Ocean Highway (presently known as County Road 619) over Townsends Inlet was constructed as a Public Works Administration (PWA) project, part of the largest New Deal construction effort in Cape May County, New Jersey. The bridge is still in use today. State.NJ.us: "In 1934 the county government created the Cape May County Bridge Commission as a means to apply for Federal Emergency Administration Funds to build bridges on the Ocean Highway and to bring to completion the promotional tourist route from Atlantic City to Cape May. The Ocean Highway bridges, five movable spans and...
  • Track Removal - Keene NH
    In 1935, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) funded a series of street improvements in Keene, NH. This work included removing Keene Electric Railway tracks from West and Main Streets and Central Square and repaving the effected streets.
  • Trestle Glen Boulevard - Tiburon CA
    Trestle Glen Boulevard is a road about a mile long that connects the main road on the west shore of the Tiburon peninsula to the the main road on the east shore. It was completed circa 1937 as a WPA project. An old bridge on this road is likely WPA as well. The name Trestle Glen was not used until the 1950's. Before then it was called Reed's Road, probably because it was built on land belonging to Clothilde Reed, a descendant of the original Mexican land grantee John Reed. The name California City in the cited article refers to an area...
  • Triangle Road - Mariposa CA
    The Bootjack CCC camp CO. 1912 in Bootjack CA was involved in the surveying and construction of this road, initially built as a fire road and then into a normal two lane county road. According to articles in the Mariposa Gazette, surveying by the CCC was begun Jan 21, 1936, right-of-way for the road was secured by the Mariposa Chamber of commerce in February 1936. An interruption occurred when Co. 1912 moved to Tehachepi CA for 5 months. Once back, a seven mile section was begun November 1936. A March 1937 article mentions the beginning construction of a $20,000 concrete bridge...
  • Triborough (RFK) Bridge - New York NY
    The Triborough bridge linking up Queens, the Bronx, and Manhattan over East River, is still known to New Yorkers by that name, even though it was officially renamed the Robert F. Kennedy Bridge in 2008. The Triborough Bridge is one of three major bridges, along with the Henry Hudson and the Bronx-Whitestone, built during the New Deal era to link the boroughs of Manhattan, Queens and the Bronx, and tie together the expanding highway system in and out of New York City.  Construction on the Triborough bridge began in 1929, but the Depression soon slowed progress on the project. In 1933, Robert Moses, head...
  • Trinity River Bridge - Riverside TX
    The State Highway 19 Bridge at the Trinity River on the Walker/Trinity county line, consists of two 250-foot Parker through truss spans, one 150-foot Parker through truss span, and 51 steel I-beam approach spans with a special metal picket-type rail. The project was a joint effort of the Federal Works Agency, Public Road Administration, the Texas Highway Department, and Walker and Trinity Counties. Work on the bridge project began in late 1939. It was completed in January of 1941 and opened in March of that year. The bridge was bypassed in 2003 by a new four-lane bridge to the south,...
  • Trolley Rail Removal - Middletown CT
    The W.P.A. removed unneeded trolley rails in Middletown, CT. Project information: Description: "Remove trolley rails for salvage purposes" Official Project Number: 265‐1‐15‐79 Total project cost: $8,298.00 Sponsor: City of Middletown
  • Trolley Rail Removal - Norwich CT
    The W.P.A. removed unneeded trolley rails in Norwich, CT. Project information: Description: "Remove abandoned car rails" Official Project Number: 265‐1‐15‐76 Total project cost: $58,398.00 Sponsor: City of Norwich
  • Trolley Rail Removal - Waterbury CT
    The W.P.A. removed unneeded trolley rails in Waterbury, CT. Project information: Description: "Remove trolley rails and restore track areas" Official Project Number: 265‐1‐15‐75 Total project cost: $56,550.00 Sponsor: City of Waterbury
  • Trolley Track Removal - West Reading PA
    A WPA project in West Reading, Pennsylvania involved the removal of trolley tracks from Penn Avenue.
  • Trout Creek Bridge - Santa Marguerita CA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Trout Creek bridge on state highway 58, a couple miles east of Santa Marguerita, in 1941.  This was part of a program of WPA road work all over San Luis Obispo County roads during the 1930s, as indicated by WPA "project cards" in the National Archives. WPA project cards are only indicative, however; they show which projects were planned, funded by the WPA and approved by President Franklin Roosevelt; they do not guarantee that the work was actually done, since the WPA usually proposed more projects than it could carry out.  In this case, the...
  • Truck Trail (Sterling Highway) - Cooper Landing AK
    In 1937, the Alaska Road Commission, with funds from the federal government, expanded a former dogsled trail in Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula to a service road.  That section of road later became part of today's Sterling Highway (Route 510), completed in 1957.
  • Tryon Avenue - Teaneck NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed and paved Tryon Avenue in Teaneck, New Jersey, an extension of West Palisade Avenue in Englewood to Teaneck Road. The road was considered a "necessary improvement for business development" in Englewood, as more residents of West Englewood (in Teaneck) would have access to the municipal road system and head to Englewood to shop.
  • Tuberculosis Hospital - Atwater CA
    "This structure is a combined preventorium and children's hospital, the two units being connected by a large recreation room. The preventorium consists of two dormitories, one for boys and one for girls, separated by a nurses' station, each dormitory accommodating 20 beds. The hospital has an X-ray and an examination and treatment room, three wards, eight single rooms, and the dining room and kitchen. The entire lay-out has a usable floor area of 13,750 square feet. The construction consists of reinforced-concrcic footings, wood frame with stucco finish on the exterior walls, and a mission tile roof. The nurses' home is a separate building...
  • Tulare Lindsay Highway - Lindsay CA
    A stretch of six miles of Tulare Lindsay Highway (Avenue 232) was widened and resurfaced with a federal grant of $25,000.   The money presumably came from the Bureau of Public Roads, but this has not been confirmed.
  • Tule Canyon Road Construction - Silverton TX
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a road from the base of Tule Canyon to the top, circa 1940. The WPA made cuts and fills through the canyon, graded the road and paved it with caliche. The length of road built is now part of Texas State Highway 207. The official project number was 65-1-66-400.
  • Tunxis State Forest - Hartland CT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)'s Camp Robinson, which housed Company #180, was stationed at Tunxis State Forest in Hartland, Connecticut. The camp was established June 13, 1933 and was discontinued July 18, 1941. Among other projects independently listed on other pages, work included: "12 miles of truck trails including today's ... Hall Road, construction of a house for the Forest Ranger, and miles of cross-country ski trails." The ski cabin and ski trail remain today. Other improvements included access roads and a cross country ski loop trail.
  • Tuolumne River Bridge - Yosemite National Park CA
    New Deal agencies realigned and reconstructed the Old Tioga road from 1933 to 1943, from Crane Flat to Tuolumne Meadows.  An important element of the road project was the bridge over the Tuolumne River, just east of the Tuolumne Meadows campground. The bridge was constructed in 1933-34. Funding came from the Public Works Administration (PWA); the Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) managed construction, using private companies; and the National Park Service (NPS) oversaw all work in the park. The Tuolumne River bridge is a modern design of steel beams and concrete, but is dressed up with stone siding to accord with the...
  • Turner Road Bridge - Charlton MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) laborers rebuilt Turner Road Bridge (believed to be at the point where it crosses Little River) in Charlton, Mass. after it was seriously damaged by floods in 1936.
  • Turners Falls-Gill Bridge - MA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) allocated funds in 1936 to the tune of $372,722 (not adjusted for inflation) for the reconstruction of a span across the Connecticut River between the Town of Montague and Gill, Mass. The Turners Falls-Gill Bridge, which was constructed in 1937-8, has since been rehabilitated and is sometimes referred to as the Gill-Montague Bridge. A plaque on the bridge credits the United States Emergency Relief Appropriation Act of 1935 and features project number: WPSO-R-307; it is sometimes overlooked as the information is written in comparatively small lettering at the top of the plaque.
  • Turnpike Work - Auburn MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted the following road work in Auburn, Mass. WPA Bulletin: This cut-off in Auburn, on the Worcester Turnpike, was washed out by the Spring flood. A WPA construction project is rebuilding the cut-off and 30 feet of the macadam shoulders of the road. The exact location and identification of the road in question is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Turtle Pond Parkway Improvements - Boston MA
    W.P.A. project descriptions: "Veterans of Foreign Wars, West Roxbury, and Turtle Pond Parkways; the roadsides of these parkways were beautified for their entire lengths by grubbing, grading and seeding. Ten miles, or 176,000 square yards of property was reclaimed." "Dedham Parkway and Turtle Pond Parkway; a project in operation at the end of the year will provide a parking area on each of these two parkways in the Hyde Park district."
  • Turtle River State Park - Arvilla ND
    ParkRec.nd.gov: "Established in 1934, Turtle River State Park was one of a number of new parks built in North Dakota under President Franklin Delano Roosevelt's "New Deal" programs. ... In 1935, a CCC transient work camp, SP-5, was built in Larimore. It initially housed 185 young men, along with their commanding officers. They were assigned to build a new park nearby, originally called Grand Forks State Park. CCC construction projects in the park included bridges, roads, parking areas, foot paths and a number of stone and log buildings, many of which are still in use today. One of their notable achievements was the...
  • Twelfth Street NW Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out pavement repair and other, unspecified improvements to a segment of Twelfth Street NW, from Constitution Avenue to Pennsylvania Avenue, in 1935-36.  The street was “widened to conform with the design of the Triangle area, and repaved with sheet asphalt pavement.”   The work was part of the $949,496 WPA allotment for DC roadwork for fiscal year 1936.   The work is likely still extant, but invisible beneath subsequent repavings.        
  • Twenty-First Street NW Paving - Washington DC
    In 1941, the Washington Post reported the start of a $1,158,000 road paving program carried out by the Public Roads Administration division of the Federal Works Administration (FWA). One of the streets slated to be paved was 21st Street between Virginia Avenue and C Street, NW. Although the street has been repaved since 1941, the New Deal played a role in its continued maintenance.
  • Twenty-fourth Street Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved a segment of Twenty-fourth Street, from Wagner Place to Good Hope Road. WPA workers graded this road, and also “placed old broken concrete and Macadam, for a depth of approximately seven inches, as a base source. This material was then rolled and covered with a bituminous material by maintenance forces…The completion of formed a necessary adjunct to the large private development in this vicinity”
  • Twenty-Ninth St. Bridge - Baltimore MD
    "This bridge is in the north section of Baltimore. It connects the vehicular traffic on the eastern and western sides of the Jones Fall valley and crosses the Pennsylvania Railroad. It is approximately 1,375 feet long. The roadway is 40 feet wide with two 7-foot-10-inch sidewalks. There are two main arch spans, each 230 feet long, and three 30-foot arches near each end. It is faced with granite, constructed in the same manner as the Hilton Parkway bridges... The project was completed in January 1938 at a construction cost of $601,414 and a project cost of $603,322."
  • Twenty-Second Street NW Improvements - Washington DC
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) carried out pavement repair and other, unspecified improvements to Twenty-Second Street NW, from Constitution Avenue to E Street, in 1935-36. The work was part of the $949,496 WPA allotment for DC roadwork for fiscal year 1936. This WPA roadwork is undoubtedly no longer visible, in part because the War Department building (now the State Department) was built over 22d Street in the early 1940s.
  • Twin Peaks Blvd. - San Francisco CA
    The WPA worked on Twin Peaks Blvd. between Clayton St. and Palo Alto Ave.
1 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66