1 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 65
  • Kongens Tvaer Gade Improvements - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas VI
    The Works Progress Administration completed improvements on Kongens Tvaer Gade in Charlotte Amalie. The work included grading, curbing, and paving.
  • Kuakini Street Bridge (Nu'uanu Stream) - Honolulu HI
    Living New Deal believes this bridge, which carries North Kuakini Street over the Nu'uanu Stream, was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds—in conjunction to a nearby bridge over Waiolani Stream—in 1934.
  • Kuakini Street Bridge (Wailoani Stream) - Honolulu HI
    The bridge carrying North Kuakini Street over the Waiolani Stream was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1934.
  • Kunia Road Construction and Improvements - Kunia HI
    " United States Public Works project no. NRH-16-A, known as the 'Kunia Road', for the sum of $388,585.26. The Kunia Road runs from Schofield Barracks to the Ewa-Waianae Road, a distance of 7.81 miles, and is a road long wanted by the military authorities as being very important in the national defense plans. At the Schofield end, it joins Kamehameha Highway by way of Wright Avenue."
  • Lafayette Avenue Development - Staten Island NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with a Staten Island project that removed dangerous street ditches from roads throughout the borough. Granite block gutters and headers were installed by WPA laborers along a dozen streets, including the stretch of Lafayette Avenue between Prospect and Brighton Avenues.
  • Lafayette Avenue Improvements - Passaic NJ
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed a sewer and resurfaced the pavement of Lafayette Avenue in Passaic, New Jersey between what was then the Erie Railroad tracks and River Drive. "The present conditions there," reported the city's Director of Streets and Public Improvements Nicholas Martini, "have been an annoyance for many years and the construction ... will prove invaluable to the City." The project, his report continued, would bear no additional expense to the City, and would provide employment for approximately 30 men for a period of four months. Project No. 1-16-380.
  • Lafayette Street Bridge - Bay City MI
    "This new double-leaf bascule bridge at Lafayette Street crosses the East Channel of the Saginaw River to middle ground from whence a nine-span, concrete-arched girder bridge without a draw crosses West Channel, both bridges being included in this project. They replace an old truss bridge which had been posted for not more than 1 1/2 tons load and thus eliminate a bottle neck in traffic. The double-leaf bascule bridge is 447 feet long, providing a 150 foot clear channel, and the girder bridge is 522 feet long. The project was completed in March 1939 at a construction cost of $550,925...
  • Lagoon Street Improvements - Frederiksted, St. Croix, VI
    The Works Progress Administration completed hardsurfacing work on Lagoon Street in Frederiksted.
  • Lagrange St. Reconstruction - Boston MA
    Lagrange St., between Centre St. and Vermont St., in Boston, Mass. underwent reconstruction as part of a Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) project.
  • Lake Avenue Highway - Auburn NY
    During the Great Depression, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) undertook work to widen Lake Avenue in Auburn, New York. The WPA caption for the above photo, taken by WPA Photographer Dan Nero in 1938, reads: "Two Course highway in Auburn's Lake Avenue; the gateway to Owasco Lake and its neighboring summer resorts. Was once a ragged one-way roadway" (WPA). Lake Avenue runs into New York State Route 38 south of Swift Street. There Route 38 becomes a 4 lane divided highway, and runs all the way to Owasco Lake (Auburn Roads Department).
  • Lake Avenue Overpass - Scotch Plains NJ
    The Bureau of Public Roads provided funds to construct an overpass carrying Lake avenue over the railroad in Scotch Plains, N.J. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era. New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners: "A "Works Program-State Highway Department" project on which the Board initiated proceedings and on October 2nd, 1935, issued an order to eliminate the grade crossing Construction started July 21, 1936, and the project was opened to traffic in January, 1937. Funds from the Bureau of Public Roads were allotted to meet the entire cost of construction."
  • Lake Avenue Overpass - Staten Island NY
    The overpass carrying Lake Avenue over what was then a freight and passenger railway (the North Shore Branch of the Staten Island Railway) was constructed during the mid-1930s, in conjunction with the lowering of the railroad right-of-way, as one link in a massive grade crossing removal project. The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a $1.46 million grant for the $6 million grade crossing elimination project, which included work elsewhere in Staten Island and even in Manhattan. PWA Docket No. NY 4926.
  • Lake George Road Improvements - Pelican WI
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted a project to improve "the Lake George road from the North Western railroad" in the town of Pelican, Wisconsin. Work started in Dec. 1933.
  • Lake Merced Boulevard - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed San Francisco's Merced Boulevard during the Great Depression. Healy, p. 43: This improvement contributed to the State plan of connecting main highways by broad intersecting arteries, in this case making an arterial connection from Sunset Boulevard around Lake Merced to Skyline Boulevard and to Junipero Serra and Alemany Boulevards and to Highway 101, thus aiding the traffic problem and producing a landscaped boulevard of rare value for recreation and scenic beauty, skirting the shores of Lake Merced. The work performed consisted of grading, rocking and surfacing a finished 60 foot drive, more than three miles long....
  • Lake Moxie Road - West Forks ME
    Built by the Greenville 160th CCC company from a side camp in the tiny village of Shirley.
  • Lake Powell Bridge - Laguna Beach FL
    Florida's Lake Powell Bridge—also known as the Philips Inlet Bridge—was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $148,087 loan for the project, whose total cost was $141,409. It was constructed a toll bridge. Construction occurred between 1934 and 1935. The project helped to spur development between Panama City and Pensacola. PWA Docket No. FL 793
  • Lake Shetek State Park - Currie MN
    The Wikipedia page for Lake Shetek State Park, indicates that both the FERA and the WPA played instrumental roles in the early development of the park, including roads, sewers, and the construction of several structures, some of which are still in the park today. From the Murray County website: Much of the early development and construction of park facilities was done by Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers. The workers were part of a WPA Camp which was located on Keeley Island, across the lake to the west, from 1934 to 1940. The camp employed 200 transient and homeless men. Initially operated...
  • Lake Shore Drive - Chicago IL
    The New Deal helped with the progress of Lake Shore Drive, both the Works Progress Administration and the Public Works Administration providing funding. These administrations’ assistance led to the completion of Lake Shore Drive from Foster Avenue to Jackson Park and led to the related projects of the Outer Drive Bridge and the State Street subway. In 1936, the PWA was granted $893,250 to put towards five public works projects. Some of that money went towards improving Lake Shore Drive between North Avenue and Ohio Street and Belmont Avenue and Byron Street. In 1939, the WPA put $1,250,000 into a...
  • Lake Street Bridge - Reno NV
    This steel and concrete bridge was constructed in 1937 through the Public Works Administration (PWA) for a cost of $108,729.44 (PWA grant, $10,636.00; Federal-State Highway Funds, $32,593.44; City of Reno, $65,500.00).
  • Lake Street Widening - Burlington VT
    Photo caption, UVM: "May 8, 1936. Lake Street, WPA Project No. 65-12-336 looking South from intersection of Depot Street. This project consists of widening pavement to twenty four feet with Telford stone base construction, surfacing with a leveling course of penetration macadam varying in thickness from one to four inches and constructing Hot Mix stone filled sheet asphalt wearing surface two inches in thickness."
  • Lake Washington Floating Bridge (former) - Seattle WA
    "Constructed in just 18 months, the first bridge across Lake Washington opened on July 2, 1940. Funded partly by the Public Works Administration, the pontoon bridge was an engineering marvel, the longest floating span in the world at that time. The toll bridge made possible the expansion of suburban communities on the eastside. Fifty years after it opened, on November 25, 1990, the bridge failed. Several pontoon sunk and the roadway ripped apart in the face of severe winds and waves. The destroyed span was soon replaced."
  • Lake Worth Bridge (former) - Lake Worth FL
    Lake Worth, Florida's old Lake Worth Bridge—which carried what is now Rt. 802 over the Lake Worth Lagoon (part of the Intracoastal Waterway)—was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The PWA supplied a $138,000 loan and $112,909 grant for the project, whose total cost was $263,428. The draw bridge was built as a toll bridge. Construction occurred between August 1936 and December 1937. The bridge has since been demolished and replaced. The Palm Beach Post, Aug. 30, 1936: When workmen start in Monday morning to build a new bridge across Lake Worth, it will mark the beginning...
  • Lake Worth Improvements - Fort Worth TX
    In addition to Mosque Point, the CCC completed many other projects at Lake Worth. The pictured National Park Service document lists the many projects built by the CCC from 1934-1937, including: foot and auto bridges, several shelters, picnic and campground facilities, roads, foot trails, landscaping, tree planting, drinking fountains, toilets, water lines, fire protection amenities and more.
  • Lakeview Road Bridge - Stillwater OK
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) built the Lakeview Road Bridge in Stillwater OK. From waymarking.com: "The WPA constructed large amounts of roadway infrastructure during the last half of the 1930's, including thousands of bridges and culverts. This bridge on West Lakeview Road, about 5 miles west of Stillwater, crosses Dry Creek. The bridge has seen a lot of wear and tear and the concrete guardrails are broken in several places, with sections missing. The bridge on both sides of the road has imprints of the WPA shield with the year 1939, and one place on a guardrail pillar, there is evidence that...
  • Lakeview Road Improvements - San Angelo TX
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted modest street improvement work in the Lakeview section of San Angelo, Texas.
  • Lamar Boulevard Bridge over Shoal Creek - Austin TX
    The Lamar Boulevard Bridge over Shoal Creek is a reinforced concrete bridge built by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) under project number 65-1-66-2822 in downtown Austin. The bridge has a 40 foot wide roadway and is 145.5 foot long on the downstream side and 187.83 foot long on the upstream side. The project employed an average of 70 workers. The WPA cost was $33,133 and the sponsor cost was $27,649. The bridge is still in use and is configured with four lanes - two northbound and two southbound.
  • Lampasas State Park (former) - Lampasas TX
    In 1933, the Lampasas Chamber of Commerce raised $2,500 to buy 154 acres of land along Sulphur Creek and presented the land to the State of Texas as a site for a state park. Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Company 896 arrived the same year, set up Camp Miriam (in honor of Miriam "Ma" Ferguson, the Governor of Texas) and began development of the park. The CCC cleared brush and cactus, built gravel roads, a native stone entrance, a concession house, a low water dam, native stone picnic tables, barbecue pits, native stone cabins, a baseball field, and a polo field....
  • Land's End Road - Grand Mesa CO
    The Land's End road up the western end of Grand Mesa was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in 1933-34.  The main builders were 200 veterans enrolled in the CCC, who worked out of a CCC seasonal tent camp at the foot of the mountain; so, the project was long known as "the Veterans' Road". The road climbs up 9 miles up switchbacks to the rim of the mesa.  The hardest section, from Wild Road picnic area to the top, was completed by U.S. Forest Service employees in 1934-35. The road is still in use.
  • Lane Park Development - Birmingham AL
    Birmingham's Lane Park was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Historical marker: "The land was also used for the Allen Gray Fish Hatchery (fed by Pullen Springs), a stone quarry, a complete baseball diamond, and a golf driving range. Several of the stone structures were erected by the WPA. Two hundred acres are now the home of the Birmingham Zoo (est. 1954) and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (est. 1962)." A CWA/Alabama Relief Administration project was soon after launched to fully develop the...
  • Langdon Street Bridge Improvements - Montpelier VT
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted improvement work on many of Montpelier's steel bridges, including painting the Langdon Street bridge in 1935.
  • Laramie Viaduct (demolished) - Chicago IL
    Chicago, Illinois's old Laramie Viaduct, which carried South Laramie Ave. over the railroad line just south of I-290, was constructed with the assistance of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1939. The bridge was demolished ca. 2010.
  • Larch Street Grading - Woonsocket RI
    Woonsocket, RI: A Centennial History, states: The Woonsocket Call of September 28, 1935, reported that "work was started on the first five WPA projects in Woonsocket, giving employment to 300 men." Logee and Larch Streets and Rhodes Avenue were graded; Thomas Street was paved; and Cass Park athletic fields were completed.
  • Larkin Valley Road - Aptos CA
    According to National Archives microfilm purchased and researched by Santa Cruz County library staff, the WPA surfaced Larkin Valley Rd with crushed rock and fuel oil in 1935.
  • Laurel Street Paving - Hartford CT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) paved Laurel Street in Hartford, Connecticut, between Farmington Ave. and Capitol Ave., in 1937.
  • Lauzun’s Legion (P Street) Bridge - Washington DC
    The Lauzun’s Legion Bridge – formerly the P Street Bridge – spans both Rock Creek and the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway at P Street.  It was a critical piece in the completion of the parkway, which was impeded by an earlier bridge at this site.   Funding was provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) in 1934 (Evening Star 1934).  Construction took place in 1935-36 and the bridge was dedicated in July 1935.   The parkway could not be finished, however, until a lower level bridge just to the north carrying the road across the creek was finished a year later....
  • Lavalley Road Improvements - Champlain NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved Lavalley Road "beginning at Honeymoore's Corners thru to Mooers village" in the town of Champlain.
  • Layton Avenue Improvements - Bronx NY
    The federal Work Projects Administration put many men to work starting in 1935 with a Bronx street repair and maintenance project along roads throughout the borough. The streets, many of which in New York City were still unpaved, were surfaced with penetrated macadam. Roads improved included the stretch of Layton Avenue between Shore Drive and what was then Eastern Blvd. (Eastern Boulevard provided the foundation for what is now the Bruckner Expressway; however, the exact terminus for the Layton Avenue work is unclear as Layton Avenue intersects the Throgs Neck Expressway and not the Bruckner.)
  • Ledyard Bridge (replaced) - Norwich VT to Hanover NH
    The second of the (now) three bridges to be designated Ledyard Bridge spanning the Connecticut River between Norwich, Vermont and Hanover, New Hampshire was financed in part by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) during the Great Depression. The PWA supplied a grant of $8,697 for the project, whose total cost was $31,095 (according to a PWA document; other sources put it at $148,678; Living New Deal is unclear as to the discrepancy). Construction occurred between Oct. 1934 and Oct. 1935. The bridge was replaced in 1998. PWA Docket No. 9088-Vt.
  • Leesville Avenue Underpass - Woodbridge Township NJ
    The Public Works Administration (PWA) provided a grant for the construction of an underpass to carry Leesville Avenue under the train tracks in Avenel, Woodbridge Township, New Jersey. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era. The PWA provided a grant of $49,635 for the project, whose total cost was $105,455. PWA Docket No. NJ 1103
  • Lefleur Road Bridge - Greenwood AR
    The bridge carrying Lefleur Road over Vache Grasse Creek, southeast of Greenwood, Arkansas, was constructed by the Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) in 1941.
1 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 65