1 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 66
  • Desert Experimental Range Station Improvements - Pine Valley UT
    In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed living quarters, roads, fences and a well at the Desert Experimental Range Station in Pine Valley UT. The station was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, who set aside an 87-square-mile area of high desert in the Great Basin.  The CCC improvements made the range station functional. The Desert Experimental Range focuses on cold desert rangeland research. In 1976, it was designated a world biosphere reserve by UNESCO, the only cold desert reserve in the Western Hemisphere.  It is administered by the US Forest Service. 
  • Desert View Drive Guardrail - Cameron AZ
    In 1937, the Bureau of Public Roads (BPR) provided a grant to contractor, G. Clay Gates, to build a metal guardrail on part of the Cameron-Desert View approach road to Grand Canyon National Park in Arizona. "G. Clay Gates, Thermopolis, Wyo., $18,122 low to Bureau of Public Roads, Phoenix, Arizona, for performing the work for placing metal plate guardrail on Sections A, B, C, D, and E of the Cameron-Desert View Approach Road to Grand Canyon National Park, Coconino County, Arizona."  Western Construction News. There are still guard rails along much of Desert View Road, but the road has pretty clearly been...
  • Devil's Hopyard State Park: Bridge No. 1603 - East Haddam CT
    Bridge No. 1603 in Connecticut is one of three bridges constructed in 1937 to carry Hopyard Road over varying brooks within Devil's Hopyard State Park in East Haddam. They were built as part of a Federal Works Progress Administration project. The bridges were each added to the National Register of Historic Places, and Bridge No. 1603 bears NRHP reference number 93000641. Bridge No. 1603 is a stone arch bridge located on SSR 434: 6.70 miles east of the route's western terminus at Route 82. It crosses an unnamed creek. The structure was rehabilitated in 1988.
  • Devil's Hopyard State Park: Bridge No. 1604 - East Haddam CT
    Bridge No. 1604 in Connecticut is one of three bridges constructed in 1937 to carry Hopyard Road over varying brooks within Devil's Hopyard State Park in East Haddam. They were built as part of a Federal Works Progress Administration project. The bridges were each added to the National Register of Historic Places, and Bridge No. 1604 bears NRHP reference number 93000642. Bridge No. 1604 is a stone arch bridge located on SSR 434: 7.18 miles east of the route's western terminus at Route 82. It crosses an unnamed creek. The structure was rehabilitated in 1988.
  • Devil's Hopyard State Park: Bridge No. 1605 - East Haddam CT
    Bridge No. 1605 in Connecticut is one of three bridges constructed in 1937 to carry Hopyard Road over varying brooks within Devil's Hopyard State Park in East Haddam. They were built as part of a Federal Works Progress Administration project. The bridges were each added to the National Register of Historic Places, and Bridge No. 1605 bears NRHP reference number 93000643. Bridge No. 1605 is a stone arch bridge located on SSR 434: 7.32 miles east of the route's western terminus at Route 82. It crosses Muddy Brook . The structure was rehabilitated in 1988.
  • Devils Tower National Monument - Devils Tower WY
    Devils Tower is a dramatic igneous rock formation rising 1,267 feet above the surrounding area. It and the surrounding area were declared a national monument in 1906. "From 1935-1938 a CCC camp was located there. Practically all the improvements on the area at the present time are the results of their efforts. New roads were built, modern water and electrical systems installed, footpaths were laid out, picnic areas were established with tables and comfortable benches, and trailer and overnight camping areas were provided the visitors. Residences for employees, workshops and machine shops were erected. In 1938 a museum of sturdy log...
  • Dewey Avenue Overpass - Wharton NJ
    The Bureau of Public Roads provided funds for the construction of a bridge carrying Dewey Avenue over the railroad in Wharton N.J. The project was undertaken as part of a larger grade crossing elimination initiative during that era. New Jersey Board of Public Utility Commissioners: "A "Works Program-State Highway Department" project on which the Board initiated proceedings and on October 5, 1935, issued an order to eliminate the grade crossing Construction started April 23, 1936, and work under contract was finished in January, 1937."
  • Deweyville Swing Bridge - Deweyville TX
    The Deweyville Swing Bridge is built over the Sabine River where Texas State Highway 12 and Louisiana Highway 12 meet. The bridge is a deck plate girder swing design. The 160 foot main span pivots on top of a central pillar. Congress passed the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act on April 8, 1935. This act gave states grant money for road and bridge construction. The bridge opened on March 10, 1938. The bridge is opened manually by workers using a massive T-wrench inserted in a hole in the middle of the bridge and turned. Regular openings of the bridge ceased in the 1960s...
  • Diego Hernandez Road Improvements - Yauco PR
    The Puerto Rico Emergency Relief Administration carried out repair and maintenance work in Diego Hernandez in Yauco.
  • Dix Road Improvements - Jefferson City MO
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted multiple street improvement projects in Jefferson City, Missouri, including: "Dix Road was improved with grading and new gravel."
  • Doaneville Mill Dam Bridge - Voluntown CT
    "The bridge is stamped as a Works Progress Administration project, built during the Great Depression in the 1930s as a way to create jobs to employ millions of out-of-work Americans. The federally-funded WPA built thousands of public works projects across the nation during the administration of President Franklin Roosevelt and was a key element in the nation's eventual economic recovery." The 1938 WPA bridge was slated for demolition in 2015, but is still standing as of 2018.
  • Dolliver Memorial State Park - Lehigh IA
    "C.C.C. Company 2725 established camp DSP-3 (now SP-6) in Dolliver Memorial State Park on August 7, 1934, and immediately set to work constructing a series of barracks (Fig,.10) and a shop (Fig. 11). Aerial photography of Webster County from 1939 by the A.A.A. (Agricultural Adjustment Agency – a New Deal program to pay farmers to reduce their crop production) captured the area of the C.C.C. camp at Dolliver shorly after the barracks were constructed (Fig 12a). It shows the loge, cabins, the mess hall, rest room facilities, shortly after they were constructed and the remains of a baseball diamond. It...
  • Don Gaspar Avenue Bridge - Santa Fe NM
    Dedicated on June 23 1934, the Don Gaspar Bridge opened a new crossing to the emerging Capitol Complex south of the Santa Fe River. Designed in the Pueblo Revival manner, the bridge is important for consciously applying the so-called “Santa Fe style” to a utilitarian structure. Made of a rigid-frame design, the bridge was the first of its type in New Mexico and became the standard for subsequent spans over the Santa Fe River. Construction of the Don Gaspar Bridge is tied directly to a New Deal program aimed at improving municipal transportation during the Depression. Created by Executive order...
  • Doña Ana Target Range Development - Chaparral NM
    The Works Progress Administration / Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted multiple construction and development projects at what was then known as Doña Ana Target Range. Per a DoD survey, the WPA did the following: Construct new target range facilities and rehabilitate Construct new target range facilities and rehabilitate and extend existing facilities; Project No. 165-3-85-102; Cost: $26,450.00; Sponsor: Commanding Officer, Fort Bliss, U.S. Army Improve and extend range facilities; 165-3-85-174; $79,282.00; Commanding Officer, Fort Bliss, U.S. Army Extend facilities; 165-3-85-183; $17,519.00; Commanding Officer, Fort Bliss, U.S. Army Construct garage and shop building; 65-1-85-2157; $15,926.00; New Mexico National Guard, 120th Engineers Construct access roads;...
  • Dorchester Avenue Bridge (former) Repairs - Boston MA
    A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: "Repairs to fender piers of Dorchester Avenue Bridge." The bridge spanned Fort Point Channel.
  • Dos Palos Street Improvements - Dos Palos CA
    The WPA made street improvements in Dos Palos and other Merced county cities.
  • Dos Palos Waterworks - Dos Palos CA
    New Deal funds supported the construction of a water tower in Dos Palos CA.    
  • Douglas Crossing Bridge - Granada CO
    "Admire the craftsmanship and pristine condition of this WPA-era masonry bridge that features six fourteen-foot arches of locally quarried stone. The Douglas Crossing Bridge over Two Buttes Creek is one of the most substantial and handsome of Colorado's relief-agency bridges and continues to provide an important crossing for the agricultural community. The bridge was constructed with a crew of only eight men, at a cost of $20,000. The stone was hauled by teams from a quarry located about one mile up the creek. The WPA was particularly active in Colorado's southeastern corner, where high unemployment was endemic during the Depression."  ...
  • Douglas Road Bridge - Edmond OK
    This Federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed bridge is located at the intersection of Coffee Creek and Douglas Roads, 2.5 miles east of Interstate 35, and 3 miles north of Arcadia Lake. The bridge traverses an unnamed creek which runs north-south along the roadway. The WPA stamp shows the year 1936.
  • Douglas State Forest - Douglas MA
    From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: "CCC features at Douglas include a picnic pavilion, administration building, stone culverts and well maintained water holes."
  • Dove Road Bridge - Westlake TX
    The Tarrant County Works Progress Administration (WPA) built this small bridge between 1938 and 1939. This is a small vehicle bridge on Dove Road leading into Grapevine, Texas. The bridge has a WPA marker bearing the date of 1938-1939.
  • Dover Street Bridge (former) Repairs - Boston MA
    A Boston Public Works Department report cited Federal Emergency Relief Administration (F.E.R.A.) labor as conducting the following work: "Work of splicing piles, replacing decayed pipe caps, stringers, planking, etc., was done at Dover Street Bridge, on both fender piers. Both piers have been practically rebuilt" (1934). "Dover Street Bridge chipped and painted; steel and rollers of turntable cleaned and red leaded and draw fender piers repaired" (1935). Dover Street is the former name for East Berkeley Street and West 4th St. The bridge crossed what had been Fort Point Channel. The landscape in this part of Boston has undergone highly significant...
  • Doyle Park Bridge - Santa Rosa CA
    Santa Rosa's Doyle Park Bridge was constructed as a WPA project during the 1930s.  The bridge is located at the north entrance to the park, Doyle Park Drive.
  • Drainage Culvert - San Antonio Heights CA
    The Works Progress Administration built a stonework drainage culvert in San Antonio Heights, CA (mailing address is Upland, CA- San Antonio Heights is unincorporated). On the curb, there is a plaque that says "Improved by the Works Progress Administration and San Bernardino County 1936-1937"
  • Dreadman Draw Road - Newcastle WY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed a road up Dreadman Draw for access to the then-new fire lookout tower atop Mount Pisgah in eastern Wyoming. The road now appears to be privately owned. Cassity: The Federal Government is now constructing good, graveled highways to each of these towers and the roads that wind up these mountains, are in many places, truly feats of Civil Engineering.
  • Dronningens Gade Construction and Improvements - Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas VI
    The WPA carried out construction and improvements on Dronningens Gade in Charlotte Amalie. Road construction and improvements carried out by the WPA in the Virgin Islands typically included “clearing the old roadway widening existing curves, blasting rock from the road surface and drains, relocating where necessary, installing culverts, preparing the subgrade and placing the bituminous macadam surface.”
  • Dry Creek Bridge - Brownsville CA
    One of 7 bridges in Yuba County that were widened with a federal grant of $50,000 during the Great Depression was the bridge carrying New York House Road over Dry Creek near Brownsville, California.
  • Dry Creek Bridge - Green Forest AR
    The Work Projects Administration (W.P.A.) constructed this bridge, which carries Carroll County Road 814 over Dry Creek, northeast of Green Forest, in 1940.
  • Dry Valley CCC Camp - Monticello UT
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp 23 miles north of Monticello  in San Juan County, in the southeast corner of Utah. CCC teams worked around Dry Valley, Indian Creek, Blanding, Monticello and La Sal, building fences and corrals; flood control and erosion works, including reseeding, revegetation and cultivation; telephone lines; and  campgrounds.  The CCC men also built the road through the Abajo Mountains from Monticello to Blanding.  Nothing remains of the camp except ruins of the camp gate, building foundations, the access road and an old Pontiac -- all of which are well documented by Mary Cokenour on her blog site...
  • Duboce St. - San Francisco CA
    The WPA worked on Duboce St. between Market and Mission.
  • Dugway Road Improvement - Clifton ID
    The Civil Workers Administration (CWA) improved a road into Clifton Basin located above the town about 4 miles. The overall length of the improved route was about a mile long and allowed a smoother, less steep, and less dangerous route into the National Forest lands of Clifton Basin and beyond. Presumably, part of the reason for the improved route was to make the harvesting of fuel for homes in the form of trees much more convenient. This project was awarded via the CWA as Clifton Wood Road Project 21 B1-15 in 1933.  
  • Duke Ellington (Calvert Street) Bridge - Washington DC
    The Calvert Street bridge was built in 1935 as part of the completion of the Rock Creek and Potomac Parkway project of the 1930s. It was later named for Duke Ellington. It replaced a streetcar bridge built in the 1890s. Plans for a new bridge were submitted by architect Paul Cret and Modeskji, Masters and Chase engineers in 1931-32, but work was held up by disputes over the proper design (between a single steel arch or multiple concrete arches) and opposition from an architect who had another design approved before World War I.   The concrete design finally won over the Civic Arts...
  • Duncan School - Duncan OK
    "The Public Works Administration, one of the New Deal programs, was a large-scale construction effort which built dams, bridges, hospitals and schools. The Duncan Senior High School was PWA Project No. 8458 and was constructed in 1936. Facing 9th Street, at Ash Avenue, this is a two-story light-colored brick building, which currently houses Duncan Edge Academy. This is a school program for students who would likely not graduate from high school. Special attention is given to learning and health needs, and the issues related to difficult family situations. It meets in the mornings. Unlike many WPA projects where native rock is used,...
  • Duncan Street - San Francisco CA
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) improved and paved Duncan Street during the Great Depression. Work consisted of 8,000 cubic yards earth and rock excavation and placing 1,000 cubic yards of red rock for surfacing from Hoffman to Kenyon Avenues. This street was conditioned like Brunswick and Silver Avenues to make them useable.--Healy, p. 47. Hoffman Avenue, which presently ends north of Duncan Avenue, had extended straight through Duncan Avenue. Kenyon Avenue is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Dunnigan Infrastructure Projects - Knights Landing CA
    The WPA installed sidewalks, curbs and gutters in Dunnigan's Old Town. Most are stamped WPA/1940 on Main, First, Second, and Hayes.
  • Durgan Bridge - Downieville CA
    Federal efforts provided $35,000 for the construction of the bridge and approaches to the Durgan bridge, a pratt through truss bridge over the North Fork of the Yuba River on Nevada Street in the former mining town of Downieville. The project was launched as part of a group of federally funded infrastructure projects in 1935 but it was not built until 1938.
  • Durham Road Bridge - Wallingford CT
    The bridge carrying Durham Road across Muddy River in Wallingford, Connecticut was constructed by the W.P.A. in 1938.
  • Durham-Lisbon Bridge - Durham to Lisbon ME
    Durham-Lisbon Bridge was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (P.W.A.) funding in 1937. The 363-foot-long bridge spans the Androscoggin River.
  • E Street NW Improvements - Washington DC
    In 1933-34, the Public Works Administration (PWA) paid for pavement repair and other unspecified improvements to the segment of E Street NW crossing the Elipse, from Fifteenth Street to West Executive Avenue, plus the roadway of East Executive Avenue from E Street to Treasury Place.   PWA funds “provided greater traffic width and an approximate straight line extension of E Street to the west and East Executive Avenue to the south. The very high crowns on E Street and its intersecting roadways were considerably reduced and cement concrete gutters were installed.”   The labor was very likely provided by Civil Works Administration (CWA) or other...
  • E Street NW Paving - Washington DC
    In 1941, the Washington Post reported the start of a $1,158,000 road paving program carried out by the Public Roads Administration division of the Federal Works Administration (FWA). One of the streets slated to be paved was E Street between 21st and 22nd Streets, NW. That stretch of E Street has been modified by subsequent construction of the E Street Expressway.
1 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 66