1 2 3 4 5 6 7
  • Airport Development - Powell WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to construct / develop an airport for Powell, Wyoming, likely Powell Municipal Airport eight miles north of the community. Work here and in other nearby cities "promised to open that region to air traffic."
  • Airport Development - Shoshoni WY
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) worked to construct / develop an airstrip at Shoshoni, Wyoming, created by "grubbing sagebrush and clearing field." The facility is likely Shoshoni Municipal Field.
  • Airport Hangar - Goodland KS
    The Civil Works Administration built an airport hangar at the Goodland Airport in 1934 in Goodland KS. According to NW Kansas, "ecords from the Sherman County Herald and Goodland Republic show the cost of the entire airport when built was $42,783. In January 1934, the city received $27,000 to begin clearing the ground for three runways, using 70 men hired by the Civil Works Administration."
  • Airport Hangar (demolished) - St. Thomas VI
    The federal Public Works Administration helped to provide funding for the construction of an airport hangar during the 1930s (PWA Federal Project No. 223). The airport, under the name Bourne Field, served as a military airfield and, during the early 1940s, the hangar was extended an addition 100 feet. (Navy.mil) The hangar served as the passenger terminal for the Harry S Truman Airport; the building was fully replaced when a new terminal was completed in 1990. The old hangar was most likely demolished between 1980 and the early 1990s. The airport has since been renamed the Cyrus E. King Airport.
  • Airport Improvements - Billings MT
    The W.P.A. worked to improve what is now known as Billings Logan International Airport, in Montana. W.P.A. project info: “Make improvements to municipal airport” Official Project Number: 165‐1‐91‐66 Total project cost: $295,767.00 Sponsor: City of Billings
  • Airport Improvements - Cordova AK
    The Works Progress Administration contributed $2,306 toward the construction of the airfied in Cordova, Alaska. Formerly operating as the Cordova Army Airfield, the airfield was subsequently closed. The airfield was redeveloped and today serves as the state-owned, public-use Cordova Municipal Airport.
  • Alliance Municipal Airport - Alliance NE
    Alliance Municipal Airport was enlarged, with several buildings constructed and the landing field extended, by the federal Works Progress Administration (WPA).
  • Annette Island Airport - Annette Island AK
    In August 1940, two Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) companies started work on the Army’s Annette Island airfield in Alaska. The Army Corps of Engineers, under the command of Major George J. Nold continued the work on the airfield through the winter of 1941-1942. In a piece on the connections between the CCC and the military in Alaska, W. Conner Soresen describes the development of the airfield: “The project apparently was conceived in response to a suggestion... that the Alaska CCC undertake a specific defense-related project. The armed forces in Alaska wanted to improve air service between the states and Alaska. In order...
  • Atkinson Municipal Airport - Pittsburg KS
    "The steel structure of the hangar rises from a concrete foundation. Corrugated metal siding clads the walls and very shallow gambrel roof. Large telescopic sliding doors, that extend beyond the original building, dominate the north and south ends. Windows and doors pierce the side (e & w) walls...The hangar originally had a segmental arch roof. Shed roof additions running the length of the side walls created the current roof form. The large end wall doors are also a significant alteration. Property owner Tommy Atkinson deeded airport land to the City of Pittsburg for $1, and solicited CWA funds for the project....
  • Atlantic City International Airport - Atlantic City NJ
    Atlantic City International Airport was "established in 1942 as a Naval Air Station on 4,312 acres leased from Atlantic City." (www.sjta.com) "In 1941, in its attempt to stimulate the local economy, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) had begun clearing a wooded area in Egg Harbor Township for the construction of a municipal airport to service the Atlantic City area. The Works Progress Administration approved $1.5 million for construction (Atlantic City Press/Evening Union 3/28/41). The Project was to employ 1,187 men to cut and clear land for three, one-mile long concrete runways (Atlantic City Press/Evening Union 11/41). Recognizing the airport project as a...
  • Auburn/Lewiston Municipal Airport - Auburn ME
    A 1940 Maine State Legislature report records the Auburn/Lewiston Municipal Airport was one of 6 airports considered important for national defense by the State Defense Commission in 1940 and that construction was undertaken by the WPA. Developed under FERA, it was originally built in 1935 to support recreational flying and consists of two 2,000 x 100 graded runways. "From late 1942, during World War II, the airfield was under the control of the United States Navy for use as a base for anti-submarine patrols by Squadron VS-31. It was commissioned on 15 April 1943 as Naval Auxiliary Air Facility Lewiston, and used...
  • Augusta State Airport - Augusta ME
    Augusta State Airport is a public use airport located one nautical mile northwest of the central business district of the state capital of Augusta, a city in Kennebec County, Maine. The airport is owned by the state of Maine, but managed and operated by the city of Augusta. It is served by one commercial airline, with scheduled passenger service subsidized by the Essential Air Service program. As per the Federal Aviation Administration, this airport had 3,554 passenger boardings (enplanements) in calendar year 2008, 3,663 in 2009, and 4,300 in 2010. It is included in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems...
  • Austin Municipal Airport (demolished) Runways - Austin TX
    The runways of Austin Municipal Airport, later known as Robert Mueller Municipal Airport, were Works Progress Administration (WPA) projects conducted in the late 1930s/early 1940s. The municipal airport was replaced by the Austin-Bergstrom Air Force Base in 1999, which became the Austin-Bergstrom International Airport. Robert Mueller Airport, which was then decommissioned, has since been redeveloped for mixed-use purposes, including housing and stores. The airport officially opened in 1930 with one small building, gravel runways, and a gas pump. There were only a few flights during this time because of how small it was. This WPA project was one of many to...
  • Bangor International Airport - Bangor ME
     Created in 1927 as a commercial airport named Godfrey Field. In 1940 the Maine State Defense Commission considered 6 airports priority for use as military bases, Bangor being a key one. A 1940 Maine State Legislature report records that construction of the base was done by the W.P.A. and improved by FERA with  a 1400 x 100 gravel runway and a 1500 x 100 Gravel runway. "he airfield was taken over by the U.S. Army just before World War II and renamed Godfrey Army Airfield and later Dow Army Airfield. It became Dow Air Force Base in 1947, when the new U.S....
  • Barnstable Airport Improvements - Hyannis MA
    "In 1940, leading up to World War II, the federal WPA program improved the airport for possible use by our armed forces." WPA project details: "Construct and extend runways" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐14‐308 Total project cost: $563,018.00 Sponsor: Board of Selectmen "Enlarge Hyannis Airport" Official Project Number: 665‐14‐2‐1260 Total project cost: $17,047.00 Sponsor: War Department
  • Barstow-Daggett Airport Expansion - Daggett CA
    "Early in 1941, prior to American involvement in the war, $389,000 was allocated to enlarge the Daggett airport. The increase in size of the airport was to support bombing and antiaircraft operations by the USAAC... Funding came from the Works Progress Administration (WPA), a program of President Roosevelt's New Deal... WPA funding was provided to San Bernardino County in an attempt to encourage local sponsorship of the project. The Army claimed that they wished to see Daggett, and other airports like it, become commercial assets to spend $200,000 to assist in the development of the airport. It is unclear if this...
  • Beauregard Regional Airport - DeRidder LA
    According to the Beauregard Tourist Commission, “This project in a stump littered field provided employment for about 400 men, who worked to clear what had once been a densely wooded region. They constructed two earthen runways on 160 acres of land leased from the owner.”
  • Beltsville Airport (former) - Beltsville MD
    In 1941, the Works Progress Administration  (WPA) conducted improvement work on a grass airstrip at Beltsville MD. The Washington Post reported in April that “clearing, grubbing, grading, draining, construction of runways, seeding and installation of lighting facilities" had begun.   Two hangars were slated to be constructed, as well, but probably were never built – since they were still not present at the site in 1945, according to Abandoned and Little-Known Airfields website. In 1980, the airfield was decommissioned and bulldozed. The site is now part of the giant Henry Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Station and occupied by USDA Animal and Plant Health...
  • Berlin Regional Airport - Milan NH
    A one-runway private airport north of downtown Berlin, New Hampshire. The airport was started as a CWA project. There was a slight delay during the shutdown of the program. The project was picked up and completed under FERA. DoD resources also cite the WPA: Official Project No.: 165‐1‐13‐50 Total project cost: $780,790.00 Sponsor: City of Berlin
  • Bert Mooney Airport Improvements - Butte MT
    Then known as Butte Municipal Airport, the CWA, FERA, and WPA each contributed toward the finishing of the "best equipped landing field in the state." The Big Timber, MT Pioneer reported in Sept. 1937: "Definite plans were completed for the construction of an asphalt surfaced runway 100 feet wide and a mile long, by means of a WPA project, with the city of Butte and the county of Silver Bow co-operating equally in furnishing materials and equipment." 150 WPA workers worked tirelessly to ensure that the runway was constructed before the onset of winter. As Bert Mooney Airport's runway 12/30 is one mile long...
  • Biddeford Municipal Airport - Biddeford ME
    Biddeford Municipal Airport is a public use airport in York County, Maine, United States. It is owned by the City of Biddeford and is located two nautical miles (3.70 km) south of the central business district. It has one runway designated 06/24 with an asphalt surface measuring 3,000 by 75 feet (914 x 23 m). The airport was originally developed under a New Deal project by the Maine Emergency Relief Administration, the state division of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration in a state wide survey of airports by Capt. Harry M. Jones in January 1934. The airport was built with 1...
  • Biloxi Airport - Biloxi MS
    In 1934, 21 airports were reported under construction in Mississippi through the federal Civil Works Administration (CWA), including the new airport at the Naval Reserve Park in Biloxi. The "third CWA allotment amounting to $10,371 for the Biloxi landing field bringing the total granted Biloxi for this purpose to nearly $40,000" (More money, 1934, p. 1) resulted in a new field with 3 landing lanes. Nearly 200 men were put to work initially, and more added later. The Coast Guard Air Field, Biloxi Municipal would share space, and later, all become part of Keesler Air Force Base in its current...
  • Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport Development - Birmingham AL
    Established in 1931, the airport now known as Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Works Progress Administration (WPA). A 1931 documents said that the airport had 2 asphalt runways 3,600 by 100 feet N/S and 3,700 by 100 feet NE/SW runways. According to the CWA of Jefferson County, the cost as approved Feb. 15, 1934, of the Municipal Airport Project 37-C-381 Grounds - Local Contribution $385.38 Labor $7,362.29 Material $1,080.00 37-C-825 Bldg.& Add - Local Contribution $2,080.00 Labor $141,742.00 Material $91,426.08 In addition from Feb. 15-Mar...
  • Black Hills Airport (demolished) - Spearfish SD
    The Federal Emergency Relief Administration was associated with the construction of a large stone hangar, since demolished, at Black Hills Airport, also known as Clyde Ice Field.
  • Blue Grass Airport - Lexington KY
    The Civil Works Administration built the Blue Grass Airport in Lexington KY. According to the town budget report for 1933, the city share for the airport under CWA was $1,362 as part of a total budget of $22,427 spent in the City by the CWA. In 1946 the first commercial aircraft serve the region via a Delta Air Lines flight on a 21-passenger Douglas DC-3. "Blue Grass Airport is a public airport in Fayette County, Kentucky, United States, 6 miles west of downtown Lexington. Located among world-renowned horse farms and situated directly across from Keeneland Race Course, Blue Grass Airport is the primary...
  • Bowles-Airport (demolished) Development - Agawam MA
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA), in conjunction with the War Department, developed a "municipal airport" in Agawam, Massachusetts. Living New Deal believes that the airport in question is most likely Bowles-Agawam Airport, a facility with a fascinating history that involved multiple openings, layouts, and closures. WPA project details: "Improve municipal airport" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐14‐539 Total project cost: $427,950.00 Sponsor: War Department
  • Brewton Alabama Country Club and Airport Facilities - Brewton AL
    The Works Progress Administration built the Brewton Alabama Country Club and facilities for an adjacent airport on Highway 31 in Brewton. Next to the country club, the WPA built a nine-hole golf course, a landing field, 5000 linear feet of runway, and an adjacent airport hangar.
  • Brownwood Airport Improvements - Brownwood TX
    The Abilene Reporter-News discusses various New Deal projects in northern Texas, and includes the following: "In Brownwood, more than $350,000 was designated for improving the Brownwood Municipial airport as a WPA project. Later, another WPA project was added, constructing an $80,000 road from the city to the airport."
  • Brunswick Executive Airport - Brunswick ME
    The Brunswick airport was originally built in 1935 by the Maine Emergency Relief Administration, a state division of the Federal Emergency Relief Administration after a survey of airports in the state by Capt. Harry M. Jones with the intention of building a chain of airports in coastal towns, inland towns, and lake resorts. It built 1 NW - SE 1800 x 50 gravel runway and 1 E - W 1800x100 graded runway. Naval Air Station Brunswick was developed and occupied in March 1943, and was first commissioned on April 15, 1943, to train and form-up Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm squadrons...
  • Bryce Canyon Airport Hangar - Bryce Canyon UT
    "The Garfield County Airport Hangar is significant as an unusual example of a log hangar. The hangar was built of local ponderosa pine by the Works Progress Administration in 1936. The hangar's gabled roof is supported sawn wood trusses spanning 83 feet (25 m). The trusses are expressed on the outside and infilled with half-rounds of log, giving a half timbered effect. The hangar and airport were built by Garfield County and the WPA with the aim of attracting tourism to Bryce Canyon National Park, which had been designated in 1928. The timber used in the hangar shows the marks of the...
  • Bullocks Field (demolished) - Boulder City NV
    “To accommodate the dramatic increase in motorists, the highway between Las Vegas and Kingman, Arizona, was kept open year-round by 1936. Visitors came to southern Nevada by car, rail, and plane. The CCC helped extend and surface new runways at Bullock’s Field in Boulder City. For several years, the Grand Canyon Airlines and Trans World Airlines scheduled regular stops in Boulder City for its planes on the Newark, New Jersey, and Los Angeles, California, route.” –The Civilian Conservation Corps in Nevada The former Bullocks Fiel is largely no longer extant, with a hangar—located at 1401 Madrone St.— being the only major building...
  • Burlington International Airport - Burlington VT
    The W.P.A. worked extensively, for a period of several years, to develop what was then Burlington Airport. Major efforts included construction of the "diagonal" runway and extension of the north-south runway. Description of a WPA project at the site: Improve municipal airport. Cost: $464,738. Sponsor: City of Burlington. WPA Project No. 165‐1‐12‐66
  • California National Guard Airport - Los Angeles CA
    Under project number 5517, the Works Progress Administration (WPA) graded and improved a national guard airfield on the site of Griffith Park where the zoo and Autry Museum are currently. $28,491 was spent by the federal government with $7,489 by the local sponsor. Total was $35,980. It employed 40 men on average for 8 months. Built in the mid 20's as the Griffith Park Aerodrome, the National Guard Air Service's 40th Air Corps Division (115th Observation Squadron) established a base & laid 2 runways: 3,600' northwest/southeast & 2,975' oil & gravel north/south strips. Training missions were flown from Griffith Park until...
  • Camarillo Airport Hangar - Camarillo CA
    This airport was originally the Oxnard Airport, then became the Oxnard Air Force Base, and has now become the Camarillo Airport. The WPA built a large hangar here (now known as Hangar #2) in 1939.
  • Caribou Municipal Airport - Caribou ME
    Caribou Municipal Airport saw development work conducted by multiple New Deal agencies. It was developed as part of a statewide airport building effort by FERA. It was originally built with a N - S 3000x250 graded sod runway, & a E - W 2,000x300 graded sod runway. W.P.A. project info: "Construct municipal airport" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐11‐60 Total project cost: $181,424.00 Sponsor: Town of Caribou "Construct Caribou Municipal Airport" Official Project Number: 165‐X‐XX‐100 Total project cost: $276,174.00 Sponsor: Town of Caribou "Construct municipal airport" Official Project Number: 165‐1‐11‐100 Total project cost: $1,022,200.00 Sponsor: War Department
  • Cavern City Air Terminal - Carlsbad NM
    The municipal airport southwest of Carlsbad, New Mexico, now known as Cavern City Air Terminal, was constructed during the Depression era with Work Projects Administration (WPA) funds and labor. The WPA conducted two large-scale projects at the site: "Construct municipal airport," Project No. 165‐1‐85‐188, a $229,025 project sponsored by the City of Carlsbad. "Develop and improve municipal airport", Project No. 165‐1‐85‐113, a $48,232 project sponsored by the War Department.
  • CCC Camp #531 - Lone Pine CA
    "The 'Cees', as they came to be known, were instrumental in building much of the original infrastructure of the Inyo National Forest. They were almost entirely strong, young men who needed work, a paycheck and a direction in their lives. Construction of fire stations, trails, bridges, roads and even airport runway strips were included in their duties. Lillian Guesman of Mammoth Lakes recalls:' ...they were great kids. I'd play the piano and they'd sing...we always had such a good time.'" from: https://www.fs.fed.us/r5/inyo/about/centennial.shtml CCC Camp F-99 (pictured below) was also active in Inyo National Forest.
  • Central Maine Airport (former) - Norridgewock ME
    Central Maine Airport of Norridgewock is a public use airport in Somerset County, Maine, United States. It is owned by the Town of Norridgewock and has two runways. According to the newspaper the Independent Reporter, of FERA funds that were provided for 4 projects in Skowhegan in early 1935, $1,917 went to the airport which at the beginning was called the Skowhegan Airport. The crew consisted of 11 laborers and foreman Charles Stinchfield. In a earlier town hall meeting, $250 was voted by the citizens to contribute toward construction. Initial construction began in 1933 and according to a later article, over...
  • Chandler Field/Fresno Municipal Airport - Fresno CA
    "Funds from the WPA were used to construct four buildings and upgrade airfield infrastructure at Chandler Field in 1936-1937. An Administration Building (terminal), Administration Building annex, bathroom building and electrical control building, in varying styles, were added under this campaign. Each building was designed by different architects, most likely to offer employment to as many people as possible for the project. Chandler Field/Fresno Municipal Airport is notable as being one of the most intact WPA-funded airports in the United States." - https://www.fresno.gov/NR/rdonlyres/E7AF14FA-1440-4DBC-9B55-503662716B33/0/HPCNewDealBrochure.pdf "The Administration Building (Terminal and Restaurant) is one story with a small former control tower penthouse on the north elevation....
  • Charleston Field - Charleston SC
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted construction and other improvement work at Charleston Field, today the joint military-civilian airfield site of Charleston Field and Charleston International Airport. "During the 1930s, airport operations expanded to keep pace with advances in general and commercial aviation being experienced throughout the country. Despite the Great Depression, the Federal Government stepped in to assist the city with modernizing the airport. In 1935, the Works Progress Administration literally poured $313,000 into the airport. Workers paved one 3,500-foot-long runway (1,100 m) and constructed a second 3,000-foot one (910 m). The project also improved upon the existing...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7