Adams Field, also since known as Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport, was first constructed during the early 20th century. The federal Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) assisted with the airport’s development. The W.P.A.’s Division of Operations wrote: This project is… read more
The Adams Hall project included a series of murals reflecting different aspects of Oklahoma business life by Craig Sheppard, a fine arts student at the time. The murals “illustrate some of the prominent industries in Oklahoma’s economy, including farming, stock… read more
From The Fur Farms of Alaska: Two Centuries of History and a Forgotten Stampede: “In 1937, the legislature responded by appropriating $20,000 to establish an experimental fur station near Petersburg on land to be selected by a committee of three—… read more
According to the Washington Post, $231,000 was allotted to the PWA to construct the Upper Anacostia Main Interceptor and pumping station in 1933.
The Washington Post reported both in 1935 and 1938 that crews were slated to construct a swimming pool at Anacostia Park. In 1935, the paper indicated that work would be done by the PWA, but the 1938 article stated that… read more
Delaware utilized substantial federal resources in developing and improving its road network during the Great Depression. Among the dozens of projects undertaken by the federal Civil Works Administration (C.W.A.) during 1934 was construction along a road from “Reynolds Cor. to… read more
Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) workers worked to develop an athletic field in Brookfield, Massachusetts. From a W.P.A. Bulletin: Swish of tennis tackets, the bite of spiked running shoes, and the smart crack of ash wood meeting hoorsehide will soon sound… read more
Among a set of 26 WPA projects approved for Allegheny County, Pennsylvania in Sept. 1935 was “grading and landscaping [an] athletic field” in Mount Lebanon. The Federal government allocated $11,970 for the project and local sponsors contributed $2,336. The exact… read more
The federal Work Projects Administration (WPA) conducted improvements ca. 1940-1 at what was then the Aviation Mechanics Training School in Plattsburgh. The exact location and status of this facility is unknown to Living New Deal.
Belle Baranceanu painted this oil on canvas mural “Education and Culture” in 1935 with funds provided by the federal government. She rushed to complete it for the 1935-1936 California Pacific International Exposition and would later claim that she could not… read more
This 4′ high Indiana limestone sculpture and fountain by Donal Hord is titled “Woman of Tehuantepec” and is located in the courtyard of the House of Hospitality at San Diego’s Balboa Park.