1 2
  • Argos Izaak Walton League and Hatchery- Argos IN
    The Argos Izaak Walton League clubhouse and attendant (former) fish hatchery were constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1935 to 1937. The fish hatchery in Argos, Indiana had "a capacity of 375,000 fingerlings annually."The facility is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. "This building of glacial stone and the surrounding 17 acres of fishing ponds and structures are a tribute to natural aesthetics, an idea important to the League who made this building their clubhouse. The Argos Izaak Walton League was established in 1929 in response to concern for the conservation of natural resources, fish and wildlife...
  • Avoca State Fish Hatchery Ponds - Avoca IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed 7 new fish rearing ponds at Avoca State Fish Hatchery.
  • Berlin Fish Hatchery - Berlin NH
    "Kilkenny Camp 2117, 155th Company CCC, Berlin, New Hampshire, was established May 29, 1933, as one of the camps of the White Mountain National Forest Service." Once the Dolly Copp Camp Ground was established, the camp focussed on the Berlin hatchery. "A power house, canals, control dykes, and breeding ponds built at the York Pond Fish Hatchery making it one of the largest hatcheries of its kind in the country." "Berlin National Fish Hatchery in Coos County, New Hampshire, will be operated and funded by the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department under a memorandum of agreement signed October 19,...
  • Carlos Avery Game Farm - Forest Lake MN
    In 1936 the WPA developed the area of Carlos Avery Game Farm, now the Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, and constructed several buildings on the site. From the National Register of Historic Places nomination: Located within the 23,000 acre Carlos Avery Wildlife Management Area, the district includes eleven buildings, three structures, and one non-contributing building. The buildings at the Game Farm are designed in the Colonial Revival Style. All buildings and structures are considered contributing unless otherwise noted. 1. Entrance Gateway - The entrance to the Carlos Avery Game Farm is defined by an elaborate gateway flanked by stone pylons. Each gate...
  • Carpenter's Brook Fish Hatchery - Elbridge NY
    "Located on picturesque countryside in western Onondaga County, the Hatchery was originally developed and operated as a joint venture between Onondaga County and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service under a Works Project Administration Grant. One of only four county run hatcheries in the state, Carpenter's Brook has been in continuous operation since its inception in 1938 and produces 80,000+ Brook, Brown and Rainbow Trout annually." (Onondaga County Parks) The WPA wrote of the project in 1940: "One of the many far flung stations of federal government for rearing game fish, Elbridge hatchery has been reconstructed with series of new concrete...
  • Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery - Orland ME
    Craig Brook National Fish Hatchery was established in 1889 to raise and stock juvenile Atlantic salmon for Maine waters. Craig Brook currently supports two Atlantic salmon programs. According to a 1937 CCC Yearbook, the Ellsworth-Bar Harbor Co 193, Camp Governor Brann were involved with construction "at the Federal Fish Hatchery at Orland, ten concrete pools of unique design will enable the hatchery to care for two hundred and fifty thousand more fish;" As part of the restoration program for the Penobscot River, Craig Brook receives sea-run adult Atlantic salmon trapped from the Penobscot River for use as broodstock. These adults are...
  • Dundee State Fish Hatchery (demolished) Improvements - Electra TX
    The Dundee State Fish Hatchery was built in 1927 with 44 ponds. The Works Progress Administration built stone bridges and concrete drainage ditches at the hatchery. The hatchery is currently the largest Texas state hatchery in operation with 97 ponds. The current manager of the hatchery relayed that the structures pictured in the historical photographs have either been removed or covered over in the expansion of the hatchery.
  • Durant State Fish Hatchery - Durant OK
    “WPA projects both directly and indirectly affected fish and wildlife. More than 300 fish hatcheries were built or enlarged nationwide. Creating fish hatcheries was important economically, as well as for sport fisherman….Some of the fish hatcheries established or improved by WPA were located in or near Cherokee, Durant, Lawton, Tishomingo, Krebs, Lake Overholser in Oklahoma City, and Mohawk Park in Tulsa. A fish hatchery is on the city lake at Holdenville in Hughes County, where the WPA built a caretaker cottage and office building. With few details of location given, fish hatcheries have been hard to locate 70 years later. At...
  • Fawn River State Fish Hatchery - Orland IN
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) completed the custodial residence, supply pond and its dam, 4 concrete ponds, 14 fish rearing ponds, and an arched entrance.
  • Ferdinand State Forest Fish Hatchery Service Building & Ponds - Ferdinand IN
    Stone walls, gabled roof, 2 stone chimneys, asphalt shingles. Constructed by Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Co. 1513 in 1936.
  • Fish Hatchery - American Falls ID
    The CCC and WPA were involved in the creation of a fish hatchery at American Falls in 1934. From the Idaho Museum of Natural History: "The Hatchery was built circa 1934 in a cooperative effort by the State of Idaho and the Civilian Conservation Corps, a federal program; and is maintained by the State of Idaho Department of Fish and Game. Three full time employees live year round at the hatchery providing 24 hour on call services to prevent fatal catastrophes. Both state and private sources provide funding via fishing license revenues and donations. This module provides information about the...
  • Fish Hatchery - Fountain Green UT
    The Fountain Green State Fish Hatchery was first developed as a New Deal project. It was constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1938.
  • Fish Hatchery - Hagerman ID
    The WPA conducted work at Hagerman Fish Hatchery. The extent of the WPA's involvement in the site is not clear.
  • Fish Hatchery - Midway UT
    The Fountain Green State Fish Hatchery was first developed as a New Deal project, constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). The hatchery is still in operation in a new building at the same site.  The original hatchery shed from the New Deal still exists but is in deteriorating condition on the lower part of the site.
  • Fish Hatchery - Sandpoint ID
    The WPA was involved in building this fish hatchery in Sandpoint.
  • Fish Hatchery (former) Improvements - San Angelo TX
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) conducted $1,375 in improvement work on the "federal fish hatchery" in San Angelo, Texas. Living New Deal believes this to be what became known as Fish Hatchery No. 1, a property now managed by the Texas Parks & Wildlife Department. Charles Cruz: "No. 1 was located at the southern end of town near the Goodfellow AFB. It was constructed in 1929 and was one of the first state-run hatcheries built in Texas, producing walleye, channel catfish, largemouth bass and sunfish. The hatchery ceased operation in the late 1980s, and reopened in the early 1990s only to...
  • Fish Hatchery Improvements - Crown Point NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work, ca. 1936, at what is now known as the Essex County Fish Hatchery in Crown, Point, New York.
  • Fish Hatchery Improvements - Verdi NV
    "The men of the Civilian Conservation Corps completed many worthwhile projects... cleaning out of springs, installation of water troughs, repair of buildings at the Verdi Fish Hatchery and the construction of a new rearing pond."
  • Fish Hatchery Renovations - Paris MI
    The Paris Fish Hatchery was the second Michigan fish hatchery. Opened in 1881, it supplied salmon and brown trout fingerlings to the state. It was expanded and renovated by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in the mid-193o's and operated until 1964. After closing, it was acquired by the Mecosta County Park Commission and reopened as a park in 1976.
  • Fish Ponds - Rocky Mountain National Park CO
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was active in Rocky Mountain National Park during the whole of the program's lifetime, 1933 to 1942.  There were four main camps in the park. The CCC participated in a fish-restocking program, which the National Park Service had initiated in 1931 to deal with depleted lakes and streams due to years of unregulated fishing.  The main contribution of the CCC was to build four fish-rearing ponds, at Horseshoe Park, near Endovalley campground, at Hollowell Park, and near Grand Lake. The ponds were roughly 200 x 100 feet and 10 feet deep. (Brock, p 42). Fry from the Estes...
  • Forest Park Fish Hatchery - St. Louis MO
    This WPA project included the headquarters building and multiple hatchery ponds. The hatchery became one of the largest producers of fish for the state's waterways.
  • Fortsville Fish Hatchery - Moreau NY
    The federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted work on the fish hatchery shown in the WPA photo above. The caption notes the location of this hatchery as being in Fortsville, New York. Fortsville is a hamlet located in the town of Moreau in Saratoga County. The Living New Deal does not know the current status or location of this project.  
  • Great Smoky Mountains National Park Development - Gatlinburg TN
    Great Smoky Mountains National Park occupies large areas of western North Carolina and eastern Tennessee. The park’s creation was a decades-long process, including advocacy in the late 19th century; legislation signed by President Calvin Coolidge in 1926; and donations and land acquisitions from small donors, the governments of North Carolina and Tennessee, and charitable organizations, such as the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial Fund. Once the park’s existence was firmly established, funding from the Public Works Administration (PWA) and labor from the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made it both accessible and accommodating to the public. President Franklin Roosevelt dedicated the park on...
  • Hackettstown State Fish Hatchery - Hackettstown NJ
    "THE HATCHERY GETS A “NEW DEAL” Oddly, the Great Depression brought a new wave of improvements at Hackettstown. President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s New Deal created the Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC), a public work-relief program related to the conservation and development of natural resources on lands owned by federal, state and local governments. In October of 1933, CCC Camp #62 was established in Hackettstown. The camps were comprised of young men between the ages of 18 and 25 who enrolled for six-month time segments for a maximum of two years. The men were paid $30 a month and provided room, board and...
  • Hatchery (former) Development - Buffalo WY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop a fish hatchery near Newcastle, Wyoming. Casper Star-Tribune, 1939: "rojects at Sheridan, Lander, Newcastle and Buffalo had the aid of the WPA and sportsmen's clubs." The location and status of this project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Hatchery (former) Development - Guernsey WY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop a fish hatchery near Guernsey, Wyoming. Casper Star-Tribune, June 30, 1936: "Work Is progressing well on the retaining ponds and warm water hatchery at Guernsey... The work is being done by the CCC." The location and status of this project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Hatchery (former) Development - Lander WY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop a fish hatchery near Lander, Wyoming. Casper Star-Tribune, 1939: "rojects at Sheridan, Lander, Newcastle and Buffalo had the aid of the WPA and sportsmen's clubs." The location and status of this project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Hatchery (former) Development - Newcastle WY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) worked to develop a fish hatchery near Newcastle, Wyoming. Casper Star-Tribune, 1939: "rojects at Sheridan, Lander, Newcastle and Buffalo had the aid of the WPA and sportsmen's clubs." The location and status of this project is unknown to Living New Deal.
  • Hatchery Development - Medicine Park OK
    What is now known as the James A. Manning State Fish Hatchery in Medicine Park, Oklahoma was greatly expanded by the Works Progress Administration (WPA) in 1936. Per The Altus Times-Democrat: Here is a striking air shot of new fish culture ponds at the Medicine Park state fish hatchery, a WPA project. Capacity of the Medicine Park hatchery has been more than doubled by this expansion. Next season, the first in which the new ponds will be available, the Medicine Park hatchery is expected to produce at least 2,000,000 game fish to go into Oklahoma's lakes and streams. In the distance...
  • Hatchery Development - Saratoga WY
    The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop a fish hatchery near Saratoga, Wyoming. "The 1935-1936 biennium was a heyday of improvements and construction. Over 100 ponds were constructed in the wild and CCC enrollees improved several streams and lakes and constructed fish rearing ponds throughout the National Forests in the state. This work included a series of nine fish rearing ponds in Carbon County near Saratoga." Casper Star-Tribune, June 30, 1936: "Work is progressing well ... on the new retaining ponds at Saratoga. The work is being done by the CCC."
  • Hatchery Development - Ten Sleep WY
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted substantial improvement work at the Ten Sleep Fish Hatchery in 1937. "The collaborative project got underway in May 1937 after an appropriation of $16,000 was approved. The Wyoming Game and Fish Commission supplied the materials while the WPA paid for the labor. Most of the construction was completed during the summer of 1937. After an additional appropriation was granted in November, work remaining on the residence was completed. The hatchery would be the largest and most complete hatchery in the state at the time. It was officially designated as the Ten Sleep State Fish Hatchery of...
  • Hatchery Improvements - Montague MA
    The Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) conducted work at the fish hatchery in Montague, Mass.
  • Hatchery Improvements - Spearfish SD
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) conducted improvement work at the federal fish hatchery in Spearfish, South Dakota, including laying a new 736-foot pipeline that replaced a leak-prone pipe.
  • Hatchery Improvements - Sunderland MA
    WPA Bulletin, 1937: "Work of a WPA crew here will increase the output of the state fish hatchery 30 per cent, according to Louis Horst, hatchery superintendent. Last year the hatchery distributed 100,000 live trout, five to eight inches in length, 100,000 which were seven to twelve inches in length and 200,000 smaller trout, the latter planted in feeder streams. An increase of 30 per cent, over these figures will mean a considerable boon to the sport of trout fishing in Massachusetts. The project at the fish hatchery has built four ponds, each 125 by 40 feet, a catch pool, four small ponds, 15...
  • Hatchery Ponds - Burlington CT
    The Works Progress Administration (WPA) constructed two fish ponds at the state hatchery in Burlington, Connecticut.
  • Holdenville Fish Hatchery - Holdenville OK
    “WPA projects both directly and indirectly affected fish and wildlife. More than 300 fish hatcheries were built or enlarged nationwide. Creating fish hatcheries was important economically, as well as for sport fisherman….Some of the fish hatcheries established or improved by WPA were located in or near Cherokee, Durant, Lawton, Tishomingo, Krebs, Lake Overholser in Oklahoma City, and Mohawk Park in Tulsa. A fish hatchery is on the city lake at Holdenville in Hughes County, where the WPA built a caretaker cottage and office building. With few details of location given, fish hatcheries have been hard to locate 70 years later. At...
  • Inks Dam National Fish Hatchery - Burnet TX
    In 1938, the Public Works Administration, which had dam construction projects along the Colorado River in Texas, proposed the establishment of a federal fish hatchery in the area to provide fish for the newly created lakes. Congressman Lyndon B. Johnson arranged an agreement between the Lower Colorado River Authority (LCRA), the U.S. Bureau of Fisheries and the National Youth Administration (NYA) to construct the hatchery. The NYA established a camp at Inks Dam in 1938 and began construction of the fish hatchery in 1939. Current programs at the hatchery include providing channel catfish for tribal fishery management programs in the Southwest...
  • Jasper-Pulaski Fish and Wildlife Area Pheasant Hatchery and Storage Sheds - Medaryville IN
    These structures were constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) between 1933 and 1934.
  • Klamath Fish Hatchery - Chiloquin OR
    Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) relief workers and Public Works Administration (PWA) funds contributed to construction of the Klamath Fish Hatchery during the 1930s and early 1940s.  It was originally owned and run by the Klamath tribe but was bought by the US Fish and Wildlife Service after the Second World War, when it was further expanded. "The fish hatchery we see wasn't begun until 1929, and from then on it slowly grew in size.  The first major improvements were made during the 1930s by men who came up from the Klamath Falls camp of the Civilian Conservation Corps. They constructed the...
  • Lane Park Development - Birmingham AL
    Birmingham's Lane Park was the site of substantial work relief efforts on the part of multiple New Deal agencies: the Civil Works Administration (CWA) and the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Historical marker: "The land was also used for the Allen Gray Fish Hatchery (fed by Pullen Springs), a stone quarry, a complete baseball diamond, and a golf driving range. Several of the stone structures were erected by the WPA. Two hundred acres are now the home of the Birmingham Zoo (est. 1954) and the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (est. 1962)." A CWA/Alabama Relief Administration project was soon after launched to fully develop the...
1 2