Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park – Carmel NY

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) worked to develop during the 1930s what is now known as Clarence Fahnestock Memorial State Park. NYSParks.com: “The original core of land around and including Canopus Lake was developed through the use of the Civilian… read more

Cockaponset State Forest – Middlesex County CT

In operation from Dec. 9, 1933 to Jul. 30, 1941, C.C.C. Camp Filley conducted extensive development work in the Cockaponset State Forest in Middlesex County, Connecticut. Camp Hadley, Company #2101, also operated on this site, from Sept. 5, 1935 to Apr…. read more

Colossal Cave Mountain Park: Cave Access – Vail AZ

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) carried out major work at Colossal Cave and the surrounding park north of Vail AZ (now a suburb of Tucson, but far to the east in the 1930s). They improved access for visitors to the… read more

Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge – Ellsworth NE

Crescent Lake National Wildlife Refuge was created in 1931 under the Hoover Administration, but was not improved until President Franklin Roosevelt came into office in 1933. The refuge lies on the southwestern edge of the Sand Hills of Nebraska and… read more

Cumberland Homesteads – Crossville TN

Cumberland Homesteads Under Construction

“Cumberland Homesteads is a community located in Cumberland County, Tennessee, United States. Established by the New Deal-era Division of Subsistence Homesteads in 1934, the community was envisioned by federal planners as a model of cooperative living for the region’s distressed… read more

Dalworthington Gardens – Dalworthington Gardens TX

Dalworthington Gardens (named that for its proximity to Dallas, Fort Worth, and Arlington) was established in 1934 as a subsistence homestead project by the Resettlement Administration: “In early 1934, the federal government allotted $250,000 to buy 593.3 acres of land… read more

Delaware Ordnance Depot (former) Development – Pedricktown NJ

The WPA conducted extensive work at former Delaware Ordnance Depot, located on the west side of Route 130 about halfway between Penns Grove and Pedricktown. Many buildings and much of the infrastructure from the time is still extant. WPA projects at the… read more

Denali National Park and Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District – Healy AK

The CCC worked at what is now Denali National Park for two summers in 1938 and 1939. “The Mount McKinley National Park Headquarters District in what is now called Denali National Park was the original administrative center of the park…. read more

Desert Experimental Range Station Improvements – Pine Valley UT

In 1935, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) constructed living quarters, roads, fences and a well at the Desert Experimental Range Station in Pine Valley UT. The station was established in 1933 by President Herbert Hoover, who set aside an 87-square-mile… read more

Dolliver Memorial State Park – Lehigh IA

“C.C.C. Company 2725 established camp DSP-3 (now SP-6) in Dolliver Memorial State Park on August 7, 1934, and immediately set to work constructing a series of barracks (Fig,.10) and a shop (Fig. 11). Aerial photography of Webster County from 1939… read more

Dry Valley CCC Camp – Monticello UT

The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) established a camp 23 miles north of Monticello  in San Juan County, in the southeast corner of Utah. CCC teams worked around Dry Valley, Indian Creek, Blanding, Monticello and La Sal, building fences and corrals; flood… read more

Eagle Creek Campground and Picnic Area – Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area OR

Landscaped Pathways at Eagle Creek Campground

Although the Eagle Creek Campground opened as the first “auto camp” in the northwest region in 1915, Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) workers made significant improvements to the campground from 1934 to 1937. As early as August 1934, the Oregonian reported that “Eagle… read more