The CCC built camp facilities near Lindbergh Bay in St. Thomas. The Annual Report of the Governor of the Virgin Islands for 1938 describes the CCC’s effort to expand enrollment and camp facilities across the islands: “The senior camp in St. Thomas has… read more
The CCC built camp facilities at Estate Grand Princess (La Grande Princesse) near Christiansted. The Annual Report of the Governor of the Virgin Islands for 1938 describes the CCC’s establishment and planned expansion of the camp in St. Croix, “the junior camps… read more
CCC Camp Warrenton housed companies of Civilian Conservation Company (CCC) enrollees with a special mission. Although called upon occasionally to fight fires, their primary charge was stabilizing beaches along Clatsop County’s coastline. As reported by the Daily Astorian, the Columbia… read more
Camp Wawona, at the south end of Yosemite National Park, was one of two hubs for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) in the park during the New Deal era, 1933-42 (the other hub was at Camp Cascades in Yosemite Valley)…. read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (C.C.C.)’s Camp White, which housed Company #106 at American Legion State Forest in Barkhamsted, Connecticut, operated from Dec. 28, 1933 to Jan. 1, 1942. C.C.C. Museum: This camp was named for Alan C. White, who was a leader… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC)’s Company #176, Camp Wolcott, was based at Paugnut State Forest in Torrington, Connecticut. It operated from 1933 to 1937. Work accomplished included construction of 8 miles of truck trails and many miles of cross-country ski trails.
Camp Zigzag, near Zigzag OR in Clackamas County, was the chief Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp in the Mount Hood National Forest, operating from 1933 to 1942 when the CCC was terminated. Several of the CCC buildings are still in… read more
From 1933-1937 a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp operated within the Blue Hills Reservation, south of Boston. Over that time the CCC made numerous improvements to the Reservation, including two lookout towers, ski trails, a toboggan run, and any number… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was very active in the Coronado National Forest during the 1930s. Coronado National Forest is discontinuous across southeastern Arizona and southwestern New Mexico because the forested areas occur only on isolated mountain ranges called “Sky… read more
Hawk’s Nest State Park began as 31 acres bought by the state of West Virginia and is now an 838 acre park southwest of Anstead, Fayette County, West Virginia. The park overlooks the New River along the Midland Trail (US… read more
Organized in 1933 and operating through at least 1937, the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Fall Creek Camp was the home to Company #965, accommodating approximately 200 enrollees. The site of the camp was covered by a reservoir in 1964-1966. The… read more
The CCC carried out a forestation project that involved planting hardwood trees at Clabash Boom, at Johnson Bay on St. John.
Utah had two Civilian Conservation Corps-Indian Division (CCC-ID) camps, both on the Uintah-Ouray Reservation in the eastern part of the state. The Ute Tribal Council helped select the projects, which were typical of arid region works by CCC teams: erosion… read more
Currently the administrative center for the Oregon Department of Forestry, this site was first developed in 1936 as the maintenance camp for the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), which coordinated its activities with the State Forester’s Office. From the first Civilian… read more
The nearly 2,700 acres encompassing what is now Cedarville State Forest was originally purchased as a forest demonstration area by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources in 1930. Located in Charles and Prince George’s County, CCC project S-54 was initiated… read more
From the Albuquerque Journal, April 23, 1935: “A new fire lookout tower, rearing it’s steel frame more than 45 feet above the summit of Cedro Peak in the Scandia mountains, and a new automobile road leading to it are rapidly… read more
The Works progress Administration built the Central Florida State Farmers’ Market and Abatoir in Ocala FL.
According to CCC alumnus Charles E. Humberger, quoted in the Nebraska History journal, “guest cabins were constructed and improvements made at the swimming pool and picnic and recreation area. Roads and trails were improved and drainage structures built. Brush dams… read more
CCC Camp F-407 was stationed near Clayton in the Challis National Forest. Camp F-407 left structures at Clayton, Loon Creek, and Cape Horn. From the Forest Service: “The site for the Clayton Ranger Station was acquired as an administrative site… read more
Camp Roosevelt: C.C.C. Company #171 operated from May 23, 1933 to March 31, 1937, and worked to develop what was later designated as Chatfield Hollow State Park. It was originally “developed as a Civilian Conservation Corps recreation area within Cockaponset State Forest.”
“Chiricahua National Monument was constructed by a single Civilian Conservation Corps camp, NM2A, between 1934 and 1940. These young men reconstructed the Massai Point Road and built the trails, campground structures and visitor center, the lookout on Sugarloaf Peak, and… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built the fire lookout tower on Cinnamon Butte in 1934. Cinnamon Butte lies 5 miles north of Diamond Lake, east of highway 138, and west of the Mt Theilsen Wilderness Area. The lookout tower… read more
“Arthurdale was the first of many New Deal planned communities established under Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. It was intended to take impoverished laborers, farmers, and coal miners and move them to a modern rural community that would allow them to… read more