Wright’s Tower is an observation tower constructed in 1937 under the direction of the Works Progress Administration (WPA). It is located at the summit of Pine Hill within the Middlesex Fells Reservation. The Reservation is spread across several towns just… read more
“In the 1930s, in the midst of the Great Depression, more than 300,000 migrants from Oklahoma, Arkansas, Missouri, and Texas flocked to California, driven by poverty and the hope for new opportunities. This flood of migrants, collectively known as the… read more
The historic Mingue Mountain fire lookout tower was [most likely] built by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) working under the supervision of the US Forest Service. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. The NRHP Nomination… read more
“WPA projects both directly and indirectly affected fish and wildlife. More than 300 fish hatcheries were built or enlarged nationwide. Creating fish hatcheries was important economically, as well as for sport fisherman….Some of the fish hatcheries established or improved by… read more
The Woodbridge Dam, built in the 1890s, created Lodi Lake, along the Mokelumne River in Lodi. The New Deal project of "flood control on the Mokelumne River, mosquito abatement, and erosion control" consisted of the removal of brush, downed trees,… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built Camp Nicholas P-53 in the Monongahela National Forest. Pictured are CCC crews carrying out construction activities in 1935.
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) built camp barracks in the Monongahela National Forest, in 1933. Pictured are CCC crews and barracks under construction photographed by E.S. Shipp in September 1933. This is likely Camp Nicholas P-53.
The Civilian Conservation Corps built a road in the Monongahela National Forest. The company likely belonged to Camp Nicholas P-53.
In 1937 the Bureau of Biological Survey (from 1940, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service) purchased 6,432 acres of the former Montezuma Marsh at the northern end of Cayuga Lake (one of the finger lakes of upstate New York). In… read more
The US Bureau of Reclamation built the Moon Lake Reclamation Project in 1935-41, with the assistance of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It provides irrigation water for the the Moon Lake Water Users Association in the Duchesne Valley of northeastern Utah…. read more
The US Bureau of Reclamation built the Moon Lake Reclamation Project 1935-41, with the assistance of the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). It provides irrigation water for the Moon Lake Water Users Association in the Duchesne Valley of northeastern Utah Moon Lake… read more
Midview Dam was constructed between 1935 and 1937 by the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), working under the supervision of the Bureau of Reclamation. It was built as off-stream storage for the Moon Lake Reclamation Project in the Duchesne Valley of… read more
Extensive remnants of Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) camp, constructed between 1933 and 1938; concrete foundations, roadbeds, ditches, excavations- overgrown and with a more recent pared road bisecting the area. This site encompasses a larger area and more extensive remnants than… read more
“Twenty-nine WPA workers started today to rid the dry bed of old Morris Canal of rag weed, poison ivy and sumac, a $3,750 project for relief of hay fever victims. The workers will clear five miles of winding stream bed… read more
Ten federal Works Progress Administration (WPA) workers constructed more than two miles of drainage ditches (and re-dug many old ditches) over a period of six months between 1935 and 1936. The effort was undertaken to combat mosquito infestations in Morristown,… read more
The community Moth Inspector for the town of Oxford, Massachusetts received aid from multiple New Deal agencies beginning in 1933. The Civil Works Administration (CWA), Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA), and Works Progress Administration (WPA) each provided funding for the… read more
Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. The CCC constructed numerous fire lookout towers, including that atop Mount Fremont in 1934. Elevation:… read more
The CCC conducted extensive work on Mount Greylock State Reservation between 1933 and 1942. From the Massachusetts Executive Office of Energy and Environmental Affairs: “The Mount Greylock Summit, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, contains an exceptional collection… read more
Mount Rainier was the nation’s fifth National Park, established 1899. During the Great Depression the New Deal’s Civilian Conservation Corps greatly aided the park’s development. NPS.gov: “The Civilian Conservation Corps was busily building and repairing park lands and structures from… read more
The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) made extensive improvements to the newly-formed Mount Tamalpais State Park on Mt. Tamalpais – a favorite hiking spot for San Franciscans all the way back to the Gold Rush era (1850s). A major feature of… read more
Mt. Bradley Ridge is near Castle Lake in Shasta National Forest. It now appears to be reached mainly by a trail leading from Castle Lake, to Heart Lake, to Little Castle Lake to the Mt. Bradley Ridge. The highest point… read more
President Franklin D. Roosevelt established the Muleshoe Migratory Waterfowl Refuge by executive order on October 24, 1935. In 1940 the name was changed to the Muleshoe National Wildlife Refuge. The original tract purchased for the refuge was 738 acres. The… read more
Throughout the New Deal, various agencies contributed to the improvement of Jaffrey, a small town of 2,800 (1930 Census) according to annual town reports. 1933 “Through an arrangement with the District Nursing Association and the State Supervisor of Health, Miss… read more