1 2 3 4 5
  • Shawnee Fire Station (former) - Shawnee OK
    In 1938 and 1939 the Federal Works Progress Administration built the Shawnee Fire Station at 1950 N. Park Avenue. According the Waymarking webpage for the former fire station, the building, which is evidently occupied, is now half-obscured among residential homes of a similar architectural style. The Waymarking webpage for this site reads as follows: "This fire station, located among homes of its era, fits in so well, it's easy to miss. It is constructed of yellow brick and was a valuable benefit to the residents of Shawnee in 1938. The building is about 42 x 42 feet and has a hipped roof,...
  • St. Joseph Fire Museum (former Station #5) - St. Joseph MO
    Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five, what is now the St. Joseph Fire Museum was constructed with federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The building bears a Federal Works Agency plaque on the right side of its front façade. Note that the building's construction is sometimes mis-attributed to the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Roadtrippers.com: "The St. Joseph Fire Museum contains a collection of historical firefighting equipment, including fire trucks, used to protect the residents in St. Joseph since 1865. Much of the collection is restored to original condition. Located in the former St. Joseph Fire Station Number Five,...
  • St. Joseph Fire Station #7 (former) - St. Joseph MO
    Originally constructed as St. Joseph Fire Station Number Seven, the building at 919 Corby Street was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds. The station was moved across the street from an earlier firehouse just across N 10th Street. According to a 1988 article in the St. Joseph News-Press: "According to the brass plaque beside the double bay doors, Station 7 was built by the Federal Works Agency, Public Works Administration, in 1939."
  • Station 5 (former) Improvements - Asheville NC
    The Civil Works Administration (CWA) and Federal Emergency Relief Administration (FERA) provided labor for the renovation of Asheville's old Station 5 firehouse, in Biltmore Village. The building, which served as a fire station until 1975, is now privately owned. "Under project No. 11B-B4-24, the Biltmore fire station, just out of Asheville, Buncombe County, was completely renovated. The truck room has been enlarged to accommodate two trucks, the living quarters for the firemen have been replastered and redecorated, and the old and unsanitary plumbing has been brought up to date. These improvements were much needed to bring this fire station up to...
  • Taos Fire Station - Taos NM
    The Atlas of Historic New Mexico Maps, produced with assistance from the New Mexico Humanities Council and the New Mexico Chapter of the National New Deal Preservation Association, lists a number of New Deal buildings in Taos County. These include: The old high school (now part of the middle school); Taos Valley School on Randall Street; the fire station; the fish hatchery; the old Post Office, and over a dozen schools.
  • Tehachapi Fire Station - Tehachapi CA
    WPA funded Fire Station, adjacent to WPA city hall and WPA memorial hall. Current status of building unknown.
  • Throckmorton Volunteer Fire Department - Throckmorton TX
    The Throckmorton Fire Department was built with locally quarried limestone.
  • Town Hall and Fire Station - Bowie MD
    This PWA building was used as a fire station until the 1960s, when Company 19 moved into a new fire station on the same block. The original building still seems to be standing next door to the new station, and may be what is now the Olde Friends Antique Show. According to the Bowie Fire Department's history page: "In 1936, after much discussion, site searching and deliberating, Mr. Isaac Kimmel sold his vegetable garden plot on 9th Street, adjoining his store to the Fire Department for $700.00. Again progress and plans were under way to get financing for the construction of...
  • Town Hall and Fire Station (former) - Scotland Neck NC
    The Scotland Neck Historic District contains multiple buildings constructed by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). "A one-and-one-half-story brick Colonial Revival-style building was constructed in 1939 on East Eleventh Street through the cooperative efforts of the Town of Scotland Neck and the WPA to serve as the town hall and fire station (#198). The building was utilized in this capacity until the early 1980s."
  • Volunteer Fire Department (Old School) - Jay NY
    The historic Jay Volunteer Fire Department building was, Living New Deal believes, originally one of several similarly designed school buildings built in the area as part of a New Deal project. Their construction was enabled by the federal Public Works Administration (PWA), which provided a $178,140 loan and $56,289 grant, effectively covering the entire $230,491 total project cost. PWA Docket No. NY 2624
  • Volunteer Fire Department Building - Winnemucca NV
    The Volunteer Fire Department building in Winnemucca, Nevada, was constructed with the aid of federal Public Works Administration (PWA) funds in 1938-39. The building, located on South Bridge St. in central Winnemucca, is still in use today. The structure contains four bays for fire trucks and a residential space upstairs. The stucco facade is a good example of Art Deco style of the 1930s and has been well maintained.  The PWA contributed a grant covering roughly half the cost of the project.
  • Waban Fire Station (former) Repairs - Newton MA
    The W.P.A. conducted repair and improvement work on numerous civic facilities in Newton, Massachusetts, including at the former Waban / Lower Falls fire station.
  • Wasco Fire Station (former) - Wasco CA
    The New Deal funded a fire station at the corner of 8th and F Streets in Wasco. The city fire department moved to a new building in 1984, however, the adobe, red-roofed building at 8th and F is most likely the original New Deal structure.
  • Water Hole - Billerica MA
    Works Progress Administration (W.P.A.) laborers constructed a water-storage hole for fire-fighting protection purposes, with respect 25 farms in outlying Billerica, Mass.
  • Webster Hose Fire House - Ansonia CT
    "The Webster Hose, Hook and Ladder Company No. 3 is a unit of the fire department of Ansonia. Its new building is located in a residential area of the city. The first floor houses the apparatus and the second floor a recreation room, cardroom, and lounge. The building is two stories and a basement in height, 36 by 46 feet in plan, and is built of red brick with limestone trim and wood floor construction. It was completed in May 1937 at a construction cost of $25,830 and a project cost of $29,780."
  • West End Fire Station - Biloxi MS
    The West End Fire Station, West End Fire Company #3, was built in 1937 with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funding. The building is currently used as a fire station museum.
  • Wheeler Street Fire Hall - Tonawanda NY
    WPA crews built the Wheeler Street fire hall in Tonawanda in 1938 for Niagara Hose Company #3.
1 2 3 4 5