This Mission Revival style building was built under the Roosevelt Administration and served as the main mail distribution for LA until 1994. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1985. Only a part of this structure… read more
This fresco in the Post Office Terminal Annex lobby consists of eleven semi-circular, tempera on plaster “lunettes” by Boris Deutsch depicting “Cultural Contributions of North, South and Central America.” The murals were funded by the Treasury Section of Fine Arts… read more
The Madison Square Station post office in New York, New York “was built in 1935, and designed by consulting architects Lorimer Rich for the Office of the Supervising Architect.” (Wikipedia) Professor Dolkart of Columbia University School of Architecture, Planning and… read more
The Clifton Merriman Post Office, the main post office in Cambridge, Massachusetts was constructed with federal funds in 1934-5. It was designed in Classical Revival style with Art Deco influences by architects Leland, James D., & Co.; Baven, John, Co., Inc…. read more
Two-story neo-classical building of granite and limestone was built by the Algeron Blair Construction Company of Montgomery, Alabama out of thirty bids placed for the project. The building features six over six double hung windows sash windows, pedimental entrance, Greek… read more
Constructed by the Treasury Department, this building was completed in 1935. Placeography describes the building in detail: “The popular Moderne Art Deco style building uses Mankato’s own Kasota limestone and St. Cloud black granite. The building achieves the vertical emphasis… read more
Formerly Fresno’s Main Post Office and subsequently its Downtown Station post office, building presently houses the Fresno United School District Education Center. “The U.S. Post Office building housed the main post office branch, as well as Federal courtroom sand offices,… read more
Originally constructed as Treasury Department project and completed in 1935, Philadelphia’s large Art Deco 30th St. post office served the community for many years, before being left vacant in 2006. It has since been converted into a modern office building…. read more
Stamford’s main post office (which was later renamed the Atlantic Street Station post office) was constructed 1916-1917 and was a unique design. Additional improvements were made with federal funding in the 1930s. The building was listed on the National Register… read more
The historic (and current) main post office in Mount Vernon, New York was originally constructed in 1915. The building received an extension as part of a New Deal project completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. Work was overseen… read more
Many of the projects of the New Deal involved large scale public works projects that required hundreds of workers. While this type of project was incredibly important to help alleviate widespread unemployment, there was also a belief that the United… read more
Brooklyn, New York’s Metropolitan Station post office (originally known as Station A) was constructed with Treasury Department funds in 1935-6. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1988, the building is “a two-story, flat roofed brick building with… read more
The post office in Mineola was built in 1936 under the Public Works Administration (PWA) program and was designed by architects at the U.S. Treasury Department. It continued to be used as a post office until 1998. It is now… read more
The historic Mott Haven Station post office in the Bronx on East 139th St. was one of several post offices in the borough constructed with federal Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. The post office was initially known as New York, New… read more
The Municipal Court building in Jackson, Georgia was constructed as the city’s post office during the 1930s. This New Deal structure served as the post office until 1995, upon its relocation to East 2nd St. The building also housed an… read more
"The building was constructed in 1933, one of the projects undertaken during President Roosevelt's Depression-era New Deal building campaign. Although remodeled in 1965 to make it wheelchair accessible, it remains relatively unchanged since it was built." (Napa County, 82)
"The construction of new postal facilities throughout our country was an integral part of Roosevelt's New Deal. The Democratic president's WPA (Works Progress Administration) put thousands to work, including the many artisans and laborers who built the NoHo Post Office…. read more
The historic red-brick North Philadelphia Station post office was built in 1935. Constructed with federal Treasury Department funds, the building is still in use today.
The historic Northgate Station post office was constructed from 1936-7 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which housed an example of New Deal artwork, is still in service.
Originally the Columbia post office, when the post office moved to Walnut St, the building was converted into the Federal Building, then became the Youzeum, and now is the office for the nursing program at Columbia College. There were 2… read more
One-story brick Colonial Revival building, rectangular in shape, on raised basement. Limestone pilasters with Doric capitals surround windows and door in center of facade. Interior of the building is largely intact, including original brass post office boxes.
The historic former Palmer Square post office in Princeton, New Jersey, was constructed in 1934. It was originally Princeton’s main post office. Now, the building is privately owned. The building contains an example of New Deal artwork, “a controversial 1939… read more