1 2
  • Post Office - Cairo IL
    This federal courthouse and post office was constructed by the Treasury Department in 1942. The building now houses just the post office. The Treasury Section of Fine Arts also provided a mural by Wendell Jones for the new building. However, Cairo residents refused to accept it. The mural "Sandbagging the Bulkheads" was the fourth mural Jones executed for the Section and was meant to be the consolation prize for being voted runner up to Anton Refregier in the San Francisco Rincon Annex competition.  It was completed in 1944. After it was rejected by Cairo, the government sent it to DC to...
  • Post Office - Pecos TX
    The historic U.S. Post Office and Court House in Pecos, Texas bears a 1935 cornerstone and was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which was completed in 1936, is still in service as a post office.
  • Post Office (former) and Courthouse Extension - Augusta GA
    A rear extension to the historic U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1936.
  • Post Office and Courthouse - Athens GA
    The historic U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building in downtown Athens, Georgia, was constructed by the Treasury Department in 1942. It presently houses an example of New Deal artwork, originally created for another post office.
  • Post Office and Courthouse - Glasgow MT
    Constructed in 1938-39. Still in use as both a post office and a courthouse.
  • Post Office and Courthouse - Jefferson City MO
    The historic United States Post Office and Courthouse in Jefferson City, Missouri was dedicated on November 17, 1934. In the dedication address, J. Austin Latimer, Special Assistant to the Postmaster General stated, "The magnificent building we dedicate today will long stand as a monument and milestone of the social and business progress of Jefferson City. The postal service is a true barometer of business and progress. Beautiful architecture also shows the culture of a civilization." "If this building were just a post office, we'd know it was built by the Treasury Dept. Since there's a courthouse, too, perhaps it's PWA." A new...
  • Post Office and Courthouse - Marquette MI
    The U.S. Post Office and Court House in Marquette, Michigan was constructed by the Treasury Department in 1935-7. The building, designed by Le Roy Gaarder,  is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan and the U.S. Postal Service. It contains a 1938 Section of Fine Arts mural titled "Marquette Exploring Shores of Lake Superior."
  • Post Office and Courthouse - Monroe LA
    Constructed by the Treasury Department in 1934 under supervising architect James A. Wetmore. It is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Louisiana and as a post office.
  • Post Office and Courthouse (former) - Nome AK
    Nome, Alaska's old post office and courthouse was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and opened in 1938. The building, which still stands, is located along Front Street adjacent to Federal Way. It has since been heavily modified and is privately owned.
  • Post Office and Courthouse (former) Expansion - Auburn NY
    The historic Post Office and Courthouse in Auburn, New York was "built in 1888–1890 and was designed by the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department, Mifflin E. Bell, in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The limestone-and-brick building was expanded in 1913–1914, designed by James M. Elliot, and again in 1937." The latter extension served as a New Deal project, developed with funds provided by the federal the Treasury Department. The building presently serves as a county office building.
  • Post Office and Courthouse Improvements - Camden NJ
    Designed by James A. Wetmore and constructed just prior the Roosevelt administration, Camden's new post office and courthouse saw continual improvements during the New Deal era, including: the addition of lavatories on the second floor; the reinforcement of aluminum windows; and fifth-floor remodeling. The GSA documents various other minor improvements. The GSA also describes the courthouse and post office in detail: "Completed in 1932, the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse represents an important example of 1930s Neoclassical federal architecture in the Modernist manner. A cornerstone near the entry indicates this building was completed under James A. Wetmore, who served as acting...
  • Post Office and Federal Building - Salina KS
    The Salina United States Post Office and Federal Building (c. 1937-1938) is located at 211 W. Iron in Salina, Saline County, Kansas. The two story, flat roofed, limestone building has a northern facade orientation. The building measures approximately one hundred and twenty feet from east to west and one hundred and seventeen feet from north to south. The facade of the building is comprised of three groups of three multipaned, metal windows. These are linearly aligned windows with inset marble panels between the first and second levels. The Section sculpture projects from the building on the wall space that flanks...
  • Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building - Philadelphia PA
    The monumental Moderne-style Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building, sometimes known as the William Penn Annex, was constructed under the auspices of the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1937 and 1941. Its exterior features multiple examples of New Deal artwork. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. However, according to Mary Manfredi, the building is not listed on the Philadelphia Register and "it is not legally protected from alterations or demolition."    
  • U.S. Bankruptcy Courthouse - Tallahassee FL
    Constructed in 1935-6, this historic Beaux Arts federal building "originally housed the United States District Court for the Northern District of Florida, and served it as Tallahassee's main post office until the early 1970s. In 1979, the courthouse was listed in the National Register of Historic Places as part of the Park Avenue Historic District. The courthouse is now occupied by the U.S. Bankruptcy Court of the Northern District of Florida." The lobby continues to house a set of New Deal murals created for the building.
  • U.S. Court and Custom House - St. Louis MO
    The U.S. Court and Custom House in St. Louis was constructed using U.S. Treasury Department funds between 1933 and 1935. "The U.S. Court/Custom House is located at Tucker and Market Streets. The building has 1/2 Egyptian Style columns in a giant order covering five floors. Eagles in an ancient Assyrian manner are on the corners. Stylized eagles are also located on the other side of the 12th and 11th Street entrances. The corners of the building are rounded, carved stone figures representing justice frame, the main entrance on Market Street." (https://stlcin.missouri.org) The statues outside the main entrance were created by Benjamin Hawkins...
  • U.S. Courthouse - Los Angeles CA
    Built between 1937 and 1940, the U.S. Courthouse was the third federal building constructed in Los Angeles, CA. At the time of its completion, it was the largest federal building in the western United States. According to the U.S. General Services Administration's registry of historic buildings, "Gilbert Stanley Underwood was selected to design the building as consulting architect to the Office of the Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department. The actual plans were prepared by the Supervising Architect's Office. Underwood was acclaimed for his public architecture. His work includes lodges in National Parks, over two dozen post offices, a number of...
  • U.S. Courthouse - Waco TX
    The historic federal building in Waco, Texas was constructed during the Great Depression with Treasury Department funds. The building, which houses New Deal artwork, was constructed as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse; the facility no longer houses any postal operations.
  • U.S. Courthouse (former) - Austin TX
    Like other public buildings from the 1930s, the design and construction of the Austin U.S. Courthouse were part of the federal construction programs enacted to reduce unemployment during the Great Depression. Most notable among the programs was the Public Works Administration that provided thousands of jobs and funding for public service projects; one of the recipients was the Austin U.S. Courthouse. In June 1934, U.S. Congressman J. P. Buchanan requested an appropriation of $415,000 for the construction of a U.S. courthouse in Austin. Groundbreaking took place on September 16, 1935. The building was formally dedicated and opened to the public on...
  • U.S. Courthouse and Custom House Addition - Louisville KY
    Now known as the Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House, the historic United States Post Office, Court House and Custom House in Louisville, Kentucky was constructed in 1931-2, before the advent of the New Deal. However, in "1936, with a growing need for more offices and courtrooms, the PWA also funded the addition of the sixth floor."
  • U.S. Courthouse and Federal Building - Peoria IL
    "Built in 1938 of limestone and granite, the three-story, 118,000-square-foot Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Peoria, Ill., was designed in the Art Moderne style, a streamlined look popular from the late 1920s through the mid 1940s. Public areas feature terrazzo floors, marble clad walls, and decoratively painted ceilings. The U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois is the major tenant. In 2012, the building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places." (GSA)
  • U.S. Courthouse and Post Office (former) - Kansas City MO
    Now an apartment building, the old Art Modern United States Courthouse and Post Office in Kansas City housed the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri until 1998. The GSA lists significant events in the building's development: 1935: Congress appropriates $3,300,000 for the construction of the new U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building. 1938: The ceremonial cornerstone is laid and construction begins under the supervision of local architects Wight & Wight. 1939: The building opens for business.
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse - Ada OK
    The historic U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Ada, Oklahoma was constructed between 1933 and 1934 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building is still in use today.
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse - Enid OK
    The historic U.S. Post Office & Courthouse in Enid, Oklahoma was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds. The building was completed in 1941 and is still in use today.
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse - Huntsville AL
    This three-story example of Classical Revival architecture was designed by Edgar Love; Miller, Martin & Lewis. The building, which was constructed and completed in 1936 and which no longer houses a post office, became listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1981. It is still in use by the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Alabama.
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (former) Addition - Florence SC
    The historic former post office and federal courthouse building in Florence, South Carolina was constructed during the early 20th century and received a large addition constructed during the 1930s with federal Treasury Department funds. The extension and remodeling work was completed in 1938. The building is now privately owned.
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Addition - Muskogee OK
    New Deal funds enabled an addition to the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Muskogee. "The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse is an excellent example of the Classical Revival style. Containing five floors plus a basement, the building gives the appearance of only four stories. In 1937-1938, an addition was constructed on the back of the building, and the former storage space on the fifth floor was converted to office space. The upper four floors are organized around a lightwell with corridors ringing the lightwell on the north, east, and south sides. Office space is off the corridor away from the...
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Addition - San Juan PR
    Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in San Juan was built in 1914 with a New Deal-era addition constructed in 1938-1940. Now known as Jose V. Toledo Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse, the building still houses judicial functions, though postal operations have long since moved out. "The U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in San Juan, Puerto Rico is a three-story, monumental, concrete office structure occupying an entire square block on the southern fringe of the Old San Juan Historic Zone. Built in 1914 ... the original structure was built above the foundations of...
  • U.S. Post Office and Courthouse Extension - Great Falls MT
    The Great Falls Post Office and Courthouse was built in 1912. It was designed by James Knox Taylor and reflects Late 19th and 20th Century Revivals architecture and Second Renaissance Revival architecture. A New Deal extension was completed in 1938 with James Knox Taylor as the supervising architect. The building has historically served -- and still does -- as a courthouse and as a post office. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
  • U.S. Post Office and Office Building Additions - Hilo HI
    Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal. "In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building. These were constructed in 1937-38 forming a "U"-shaped peristyle court. These wings have three floors used for office space and contain open circulation balconies on the first and third floors. The exterior walls facing the court contain 2-story columns with doric capitals which support a lanai above. All the roofs are tiled, with ornamental downspouts used in the court. The courtyard,...
  • William H. Natcher U.S. Courthouse - Bowling Green KY
    What is now known as the William H. Natcher U.S. Courthouse in Bowling Green, Kentucky was constructed as the United States Post Office and Courthouse in 1940-1. Construction was funded by the Treasury Department. The building also houses New Deal artwork.
  • William K. Nakamura Federal Courthouse - Seattle WA
    The Treasury Department funded the construction of the Seattle federal courthouse, which was the first single-purpose federal courthouse on the west coast.  The project was originated in 1936 by the department's Procurement Division and completed in 1940, by which time responsibility for federal facilities had been transferred to the Federal Works Administration, where the old Procurement Division had morphed into the Public Buildings Administration. The design of the courthouse is Moderne, a stripped-down and flattened version of Neoclassical, that was common for public buildings at the time.  The Supervising Architect of the Treasury Department was Louis Simon and Consulting Architect was...
  • Winston E. Arnow U.S. Courthouse - Pensacola FL
    Pensacola, Florida's historic federal building, originally constructed as Pensacola's main post office and courthouse and since renamed the Winston E. Arnow U.S. Courthouse, was constructed with Treasury Department funds and completed in 1939.
1 2