“Constructed as a post office in 1938, the Donald J. Pease Federal Building now houses the U.S. Court of Appeals. The red brick building is located at the northeast corner of Liberty and North Elmwood streets.”
A rear extension to the historic U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1936.
The Salina United States Post Office and Federal Building (c. 1937-1938) is located at 211 W. Iron in Salina, Saline County, Kansas. The two story, flat roofed, limestone building has a northern facade orientation. The building measures approximately one hundred… read more
The federal government under F.D.R. constructed a large new health research complex in Hamilton, Montana, with construction completed in 1940. The laboratory had originally been housed in a “two-story empty school building.” NIH: “After its successful work with spotted fever… read more
The monumental Moderne-style Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building, sometimes known as the William Penn Annex, was constructed under the auspices of the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1937 and 1941. Its exterior features multiple examples of New Deal… read more
The Mary E. Switzer Building was originally built for the Railroad Retirement Board in 1940. The building was constructed in conjunction with the original Social Security headquarters, now the Wilbur J. Cohen building. The two stand across C street from… read more
A Public Works Administration grant of $97,795 funded new construction work on the Tax Office building in Honolulu. The work was underway in 1938. Listed as Docket No. TH-1035-DS, the project was part of the PWA’s non-federal projects expenditure for… read more
Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) enrollees removed snow from the grounds of the White House after a snowstorm in March 1941.
In 1934, the Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the expansion of the White House West Wing, which houses the Executive Offices of the President of the United States. The West Wing contains the Oval Office, Cabinet Room, Situation Room, and… read more
The present Harry S. Truman Federal Building consists of two monumental halves. The first was built under the New Deal for the War Department in 1940-41 (and is still commonly referred to as the War Department building). When the War… read more
Now known as the Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House, the historic United States Post Office, Court House and Custom House in Louisville, Kentucky was constructed in 1931-2, before the advent of the New Deal. However, in “1936, with… read more
“Built in 1938 of limestone and granite, the three-story, 118,000-square-foot Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Peoria, Ill., was designed in the Art Moderne style, a streamlined look popular from the late 1920s through the mid 1940s. Public areas feature… read more
Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal. “In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building…. read more
Two major improvements were made to the U.S. Treasury Department building in 1933-34, using funds provided by the Public Works Administration (PWA) and under the supervision of the newly created Procurement Division of the Treasury Department. The first major improvement… read more
The Department of the Interior was the first federal building in Washington, D.C. fully authorized, designed, and built under the Franklin Roosevelt Administration. It was the brainchild of Secretary of the Interior Harold Ickes, probably the most powerful member of… read more
This large office building in the Suitland Federal Center –also known as Federal Office Buildings #3 – was constructed by the Public Building Administration (a branch of the Federal Works Agency) in 1941-1942 to be the headquarters of the U.S…. read more