Sitka, Alaska’s City Hall was originally constructed as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse. Constructed during the Great Depression, the concrete-construction federal building was completed to replace a wooden frame structure that had burned in 1936. The two-story building was… read more
Originally constructed in 1809-1910 and privately owned, the U.S. government purchased what is now the Robert C. McEwen U.S. Custom House, completely renovating it for federal purposes, during the New Deal era. GSA: “The George Hall Corporation, a shipping company, owned… read more
The U.S. Customs facility located just north of Kalanianaole Ave on the west side of Kuhio St. was constructed with federal funds administered by the Public Buildings Administration of the Federal Works Agency. The building, then called the “Customs Warehouse,” was dedicated on… read more
The Public Works Administration carried out “repairs and improvements to the quarters of the Director of Police.” The cost of the project was $1,742.89.
The first federal courthouse in Ketchikan was opened in 1905. By 1913, a federal grand jury requested the government build a new facility. In 1923, a report found the 1905 courthouse “dilapidated beyond reasonable repair and overcrowded past endurance.” Finally,… read more
An extension to the Newport News Federal Building’s main structure was built with Treasury Department funds. Construction was completed in 1941. The building, which is still in use, houses New Deal artwork. The original Newport News Federal Building was built in… read more
This federal building, formerly known as the U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and was originally occupied in 1907. According to the General Services Administration, a three-story, 100-foot extension was constructed to… read more
This Beaux-Arts building was originally completed as the U.S. Court House and Post Office in 1906. James A. Wetmore supervised a New Deal extension of the building that was completed in 1934. The building was listed on the National Register… read more
What is now known as the C. F. Haynsworth Federal Building & U.S. Courthouse in Greenville, South Carolina was constructed during the Great Depression, completed in 1937 with federal Treasury Department funds. The building, which formerly housed the main post… read more
Terre Haute’s historic U.S. Post Office and Court House was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds and completed in 1935. The building has been remodeled by Indiana State University; currently known as Federal Hall, the building houses the Scott School… read more
Originally started during the Hoover administration and completed in 1933, Cheyenne’s Federal Building was expanded with Treasury Department funds during the New Deal era. GSA: “The fourth story was added in 1937 by dismantling the buildings parapet wall and elevator… read more
Currently known as the United States Department of Agriculture Building, the historic U.S. Forest Service Building in Elkins, West Virginia was constructed with Treasury Deparrment funds. Architectural details: Three-story flat roof facility built to a U-shaped plan. Red brick in… read more
“The Federal Office Building in Laconia, New Hampshire, was designed by Louis A. Simon, Supervising Architect for the Public Works Branch of the Treasury Department’s Procurement Division. Conceived and built during the Depression era as the United States Forestry Building,… read more
The Mount Shasta Ranger Station was constructed by the Civilian Conservation Corps in 1935 in classic rustic park style. The original Ranger Station consists of three buildings – the main office, the timber management office and a guest house – which remain… read more
“Constructed as a post office in 1938, the Donald J. Pease Federal Building now houses the U.S. Court of Appeals. The red brick building is located at the northeast corner of Liberty and North Elmwood streets.”
A rear extension to the historic U.S. Post Office and Courthouse building was constructed with federal Treasury Department funds in 1936.
The Salina United States Post Office and Federal Building (c. 1937-1938) is located at 211 W. Iron in Salina, Saline County, Kansas. The two story, flat roofed, limestone building has a northern facade orientation. The building measures approximately one hundred… read more
The federal government under F.D.R. constructed a large new health research complex in Hamilton, Montana, with construction completed in 1940. The laboratory had originally been housed in a “two-story empty school building.” NIH: “After its successful work with spotted fever… read more
The monumental Moderne-style Robert N. C. Nix Federal Building, sometimes known as the William Penn Annex, was constructed under the auspices of the federal Public Works Administration (PWA) between 1937 and 1941. Its exterior features multiple examples of New Deal… read more
A Public Works Administration grant of $97,795 funded new construction work on the Tax Office building in Honolulu. The work was underway in 1938. Listed as Docket No. TH-1035-DS, the project was part of the PWA’s non-federal projects expenditure for… read more
Now known as the Gene Snyder U.S. Courthouse and Custom House, the historic United States Post Office, Court House and Custom House in Louisville, Kentucky was constructed in 1931-2, before the advent of the New Deal. However, in “1936, with… read more
“Built in 1938 of limestone and granite, the three-story, 118,000-square-foot Federal Building and U.S. Courthouse in Peoria, Ill., was designed in the Art Moderne style, a streamlined look popular from the late 1920s through the mid 1940s. Public areas feature… read more
Designed by Henry O. Whitfield in 1915, the U.S. Post Office and Office Building underwent a large expansion during the New Deal. “In 1936 the Treasury Department designed two 3-story wing additions for the main (south) side of the building…. read more
The Public Works Administration (PWA) funded the extension of the White House West Wing. The structure housed the executive offices. Pictured is the PWA addition during and after construction, circa 1934.